View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1366 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 36686612661316135613621363136413651366136713681369137013761416 ... LastLast
Results 20,476 to 20,490 of 21668
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Glad to see that it is matching and finally here after a 1+ delay.
    What is the street date on release for this volume?
    Yeah, I hope they also actually release Batman: The Brave and The Bold omnibus 3 in Sept after all the cancellations/push backs!

JLA Bronze Age 3 is listed for release on July 6

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    And that box set is like 300 bucks which is absurd.
    if it's $300 retail you can probably get it around 50-45% off online and if I'm not mistaken it has more than 10 volumes (the latest edition). I guess you just have to compare it to how much the individual trades would be.

Personally I'd go with the deluxes but if size is not an issue the omnibuses look really classy on the shelf (faux leather cover, not paper dust jacket, really nice).

Incredible Member

Anyone else order the "Batman by John Ridley Deluxe Edition"?

I'm a sucker for other characters taking on the mantle, so I love stories like "Batman & Robin: Reborn", "Black Mirror", and even "SuperHeavy" to an extent.
    I haven't been following the series super hard, I think I read the first couple of issues, before I felt like I was losing track of where it was going, with the series ending, moving to digital, etc.
    But I'm really looking forward to "I am Batman" with Coipel on art, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Thanks Jordan, that was very helpful.
    +1.

10char

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post

I'm a sucker for other characters taking on the mantle, so I love stories like "Batman & Robin: Reborn", "Black Mirror", and even "SuperHeavy" to an extent.
    I haven't been following the series super hard, I think I read the first couple of issues, before I felt like I was losing track of where it was going, with the series ending, moving to digital, etc.
    I was thinking about getting it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I was thinking about getting it.
    After reading it, I can't recommend it, unless you already loved those issues.
    There were a couple glimmers of an interesting angle with Jace Fox, but this mostly felt like a children's story book, from art to writing. I don't mean to sound harsh. It flowed well enough and wasn't offensively bad, but it felt so basic and hollow.

Secondly, if this was meant to be an introduction to the character, it failed horribly. I'm fairly familiar with Batman, but had very little background in these issues and found myself confused by motivations.

Spectacular Member Lake Nowhere's Avatar

After reading it, I can't recommend it, unless you already loved those issues.
    There were a couple glimmers of an interesting angle with Jace Fox, but this mostly felt like a children's story book, from art to writing. I don't mean to sound harsh. It flowed well enough and wasn't offensively bad, but it felt so basic and hollow.

Secondly, if this was meant to be an introduction to the character, it failed horribly. I'm fairly familiar with Batman, but had very little background in these issues and found myself confused by motivations.
    I hate to say it, but I don't think John Ridley is a very good comic book writer. I know he tackles some big issues, but there's no flow, momentum, or tension. And his dialogue is often hard to read, feels very unnatural and heavy-handed.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lake Nowhere View Post
    I hate to say it, but I don't think John Ridley is a very good comic book writer. I know he tackles some big issues, but there's no flow, momentum, or tension. And his dialogue is often hard to read, feels very unnatural and heavy-handed.
    Thanks for saying so, I was afraid I was the only one!

As a political progressive, I feel like I *should* love his work, but it's exactly as you say. Great ideas, not-so-great execution.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I saw it in my shop, it was sealed but I would get its the non glossy paper. I think it only collects the future state stuff and a a few things from detective 1027. Not enough for me to buy it.

They really should have waited and put second son and the next series in it.

I just saw a good bit of amazon news.

Come August 31 Starman is getting a compendium.

https://www.amazon.com/Starman-Compe...s%2C235&sr=8-1
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Fantastic Member

Looking for a good new omnibus to get lost in and am torn between Hellblazer by Ennis or Lucifer by Carey. Never read any of these runs and was curious if anyone had thoughts/recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by soundsci View Post
    Looking for a good new omnibus to get lost in and am torn between Hellblazer by Ennis or Lucifer by Carey. Never read any of these runs and was curious if anyone had thoughts/recommendations
    I have them both. You can't go wrong. But for me Lucifer is the best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    I have them both. You can't go wrong. But for me Lucifer is the best choice.
    What he said

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by soundsci View Post
    Both deal with heaven and hell and everything in between. Hellblazer is a lot more visceral and grounded and shows horror from a human perspective, whereas Lucifer is a bit above that. It's more like Sandman, in that it's angels and demons doing angel and demon things. Both are fine works. I'd say read Hellblazer first. It also has more fist pump moments, if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    JLA Bronze Age 3 is listed for release on July 6
    My copy arrived yesterday, so I can confirm that the book does exist! It's almost 1200 pages too.