View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 987 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 48788793797798398498598698798898999099199710371087 ... LastLast
Results 14,791 to 14,805 of 21662

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Could you post one of each page in sequential order, please?

Seriously though, just a couple of the binding, in your hands and a page or two would be awesome! Thanks
    I reread that first line half a dozen times, really confused. I am not a smart man. Sure, let me take some pics.

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    Knightfall Omnibus Volume 2 came out today. I checked it out at my LCS, it was sealed but according to the back it contains:

Batman 501-508
    LOTDK 59-61
    SOTB 19-28
    Catwoman 6-7
    Detective Comics 667-675
    Justice League Task Force 5-6
    Robin 1-2, 7
    Showcase '94 #7

As with Volume 1 it features a new wraparound cover by Kelley Jones showing some of the major characters in these issues
    Anyone can make some pictures of this omni?

Astonishing Member

What is the diference between DC Absolutes and DC Omnibus?
    Thanks in advance.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    What is the diference between DC Absolutes and DC Omnibus?
    Thanks in advance.
    Absolutes are the most high-end hardcover DC publishes. They also are all slipcased. They are taller and wider than omnibuses. Omnis are the same size as ovesized hardcovers, just thicker. The other thing to note is that Absolutes are usually taller and wider than omnis, but not always as thick.

In this pic you can see the difference between absolute size and omnibus size:

The three Y: The Last Man volumes are Absolutes; the Marvel books are omnis (the same size as DC omnis)
    Last edited by fillmont; 11-09-2017 at 07:40 PM.

Astonishing Member

^^^^^^
    Thanks,that is great info about DC Absolutes and DC omnibus
    I have only bought DC tpbs so far.
    Did not knew the diference between the Absolutes and Omnibus.

My KF omnibus hasn't arrived yet
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

^^^^^^
    Thanks,that is great info about DC Absolutes and DC omnibus
    I have only bought DC tpbs so far.
    Did not knew the diference between the Absolutes and Omnibus.
    they also have better binding and paper stock although some absolutes have binding issues, like Final Crisis but most of the time they are the best. Omnibuses, even tho they cost lots of money, give you a lot of issues but sometimes they use cheap cover material or tight binding. While absolutes don't look like a good bang for your buck you will get the best quality book for your money.

Incredible Member

The Absolute Sandman editions are the best looking books I own. I always at least consider the absolutes if they are available for some story I want.
    I find some recent DC Omni's really nice. They are feeling more solid with better thicker paper than the Marvel offerings in some cases. And any gutter loss/tight binding issues seems to be a thing of the past (In some cases anyways. I don't find the Grayson omnibus to be as great as other recent DC omnibus' I've gotten but its still pretty good).

Mighty Member

Got B&R omni today. Glad to have the material, but man DC has some big omnis. I'd prefer them to split the material if they're gonna give us 50 issues.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    Got B&R omni today. Glad to have the material, but man DC has some big omnis. I'd prefer them to split the material if they're gonna give us 50 issues.
    I've felt the same way for a long time now. I had to relocate a shelf last week, and nearly broke my back. Several times.

The whole ordeal reminded me why I prefer the Deluxe Edition format over the Omnibus - I'll take 20 issues in a nice presentation that can be handled easily over these 12 pound bricks prone to breakdown any day...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    My KF omnibus hasn't arrived yet
    ...Is there some,Kid Flash omnibus I dont know about?
    Cyclops was right

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    they also have better binding and paper stock although some absolutes have binding issues, like Final Crisis but most of the time they are the best. Omnibuses, even tho they cost lots of money, give you a lot of issues but sometimes they use cheap cover material or tight binding. While absolutes don't look like a good bang for your buck you will get the best quality book for your money.
    Thats interesting.
    Thanks for the info,and that will be something i will consider when i will be buying a Absolute or a DC Omnibus.

Is there much diference between the quality (paper quality,binding,number of stories,colours) between a DC omnibus to a Marvel Omnibus or are those editions similiar?

Thats interesting.
    Thanks for the info,and that will be something i will consider when i will be buying a Absolute or a DC Omnibus.

Is there much diference between the quality (paper quality,binding,number of stories,colours) between a DC omnibus to a Marvel Omnibus or are those editions similiar?
    Similar, but Marvel's bindings tend to be better, and DC's paper stock is better.

Thats interesting.

there are differences. Someone might correct me but here is what I can tell you.

Some older Marvel omnibuses have tighter binding but then they've switched to the proper sewn binding, used thick quality paper and classy looking faux leather cover. IMHO those were the best omnibuses! That ended in 2012 or 2011 with the Michelinie Iron Man omnibus that had thinner paper and the printed, cheaper feeling cover material. But that material is still better than DC's cursed black cardboard covers which they still use in some cases. The binding continues to be very good on the Marvel books, quite flexible. Although I think they tend to have more quality control issues than other companies.
    DC's older omnibuses (and I'm talking about the actual oversized ones and not their really old omnibus line that meant standard hcs with newsprint paper, lots of them are still in print so you have to be aware) all had those really cheap feeling black cardboard covers, good paper but very very tight binding. That sort of started to change around the Sleeper omnibus if not sooner, Sleeper has a really good binding but still has the crappy cover material but other books from around that time with tight binding (still better than before tho) got laminated printed covers. It is almost completely random, omnibuses collecting older material pretty much always get the crap cover boards, in case of newer material it's 50-50. Even within the same series there can be differences. While both volumes of the Sandman omnibuses got the extremely classy faux leather cover (beautiful editions) the binding on v2 is noticeably worse.
    Paper is usually pretty decent, it only fluctuates with deluxes, some get matte some get glossy paper (Vertigo deluxes get matte in most of the cases I think).

There is some difference within absolutes too, some has quality glossy paper and some has quality matte (older stuff gets matte like Green Lantern/Green arrow and V for vendetta) and some books have and some doesn't have dust jackets.

Incredible Member

I find the matte black covers ok "if" it keeps the cost of the book down which to me seems fine for some older material. I know I have bought some bronze/silver age books based on cost as dc seems to attempt to keep the cost down. Still, I find both the DC and Marvel black board type covers to not feel really solid. I find even just the tight shrink plastic wrap on Marvel omnibus' will slightly dent/compress in the top and bottom of the spine board. I would pay a bit more for a bit better quality.