View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 499 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 399449489495496497498499500501502503509549599999 ... LastLast
Results 7,471 to 7,485 of 21667
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisko View Post
    How is the Goon library edition? I know nothing about the material so I hated to make a blind buy. Is there anything you can compare it too?
    I can answer that for you. The Goon is sort of Hellboy with a bit of Popeye/Our Gang meets Creepy/Eerie magazine with a dash of Mad magazine mixed in. It's an amalgam. Eric Powell's art work is strong and just gets better and better as his style matures and the writing ranges from zany comedy to dark mythology. I just got Vol 1 of the LE today and it's gorgeous! There will be pics soon in the Darkhorse thread here...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHorus View Post
    The retail price for Absolute Preacher is now $150! This is crazy, especially considering how mediocre Absolute editions have become. On the other hand, the page count has been bumped up to 736.
    I knew this was coming, especially if they were planning on collecting 2 hc's worth of content per absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisko View Post
    How is the Goon library edition? I know nothing about the material so I hated to make a blind buy. Is there anything you can compare it too?
    It was a blind buy for me. It's a fun, creative, original romp through an odd little world. LOL. About the best I can describe it. It's not Alan Moore, but it's also not 90s Spider-Man, either.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHorus View Post
    The retail price for Absolute Preacher is now $150! This is crazy, especially considering how mediocre Absolute editions have become. On the other hand, the page count has been bumped up to 736.
    So roughly how many issues would that be?

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    It was a blind buy for me. It's a fun, creative, original romp through an odd little world. LOL. About the best I can describe it. It's not Alan Moore, but it's also not 90s Spider-Man, either.

The first absolute should collects issues 1-26... for 150 bucks is armed robbery.

I paid just under £40 for 15 issues in the Green Arrow Absolute so I'd pay about £50 for Preacher if I decide to go for it. $150 is more likely to drop to about £60-£70 for the UK. I was hesitant about getting the GA Absolute because of price/page count but it was worth it and it's easily the most I've paid for the page count. When I asked the question 'are Absolutes worth it?' it was obvious they're Marmite. I don't see Preacher being particularly off putting for people that love the format and want the material.

Will 700+ pages be the biggest Absolute to date? Is it an experiment for higher page counts and reflective prices?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post

Thank you both for the quick replies. I love Hellboy. If it's anything like that I may have to give it a blind buy.

I was hoping for Preacher in Omnibus form,but if it has to be Absolute so be it.I want this in my collection.
    DC,I need Bronze Age Batman,Green Lantern,and Flash collected.Please,and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    I paid just under £40 for 15 issues in the Green Arrow Absolute so I'd pay about £50 for Preacher if I decide to go for it. $150 is more likely to drop to about £60-£70 for the UK. I was hesitant about getting the GA Absolute because of price/page count but it was worth it and it's easily the most I've paid for the page count. When I asked the question 'are Absolutes worth it?' it was obvious they're Marmite. I don't see Preacher being particularly off putting for people that love the format and want the material.

Will 700+ pages be the biggest Absolute to date? Is it an experiment for higher page counts and reflective prices?
    It's 55 on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    It's 55 on Amazon.
    I imagine it will be £49 max on speedyhen, and you don't have to worry about their crappy packaging as all absolutes come in their own box

The Absolute Preacher bump is annoying since it was already pricey, but browsing through other absolutes it's not the highest price-per-page book they have. There's actually quite a few between 300-400 pages at $100 retail. My biggest problem is still that it's too many pages for a book that size. When I read through Absolute Blackest Night I felt like that was pushing it for comfortable reading, and this will be an extra 150 pages beyond that.
    Last edited by csista; 11-24-2015 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    I imagine it will be £49 max on speedyhen, and you don't have to worry about their crappy packaging as all absolutes come in their own box
    My batman incorporated didn't.... unless they took it out of the box to save packaging.

Incredible Member

I finished re-reading Superman Unchained for the forth time. I didn't like it very much the first time I read it but I really like it now. It really is a great Superman story. It just didn't resonate with me the first time, probably because I was in a strange headspace at the time. But it has gotten better with every read. It's funny how some stories grow on you.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    Does anyone have the recent Batman: War Games reprint? Wondering if it's worth replcing my old trade copies.
    It has the contents of War Drums and War Games Act 1 trades, and two other stories with Stephanie Brown as Robin, Batgirl #53 and Solo #10.

So I've just read the Sandman Overture deluxe.
    First of all, the art is AMAZING! J H Williams is probably my favorite current comicbook artist, any time I'm not satisfied with the art in a book I always instantly think it would be better with JH's art but then I realize that's true for almost anything.
    The man is unreal, so many styles on a single drawing!
    Also, the story. I LOVE Gaiman but currently listening to the Trigger warning audiobook and I'm not that crazy about it, donno why, so I was a bit in an anti Gaiman mode but this thing was good. I can't say how good, I have to reread it but I can't wait for that (after my gigantic backlog obviously).
    But, I had the strange feeling that I'm not reading Gaiman but Morrison of all people, the story just reminded me of Morrison for some reason, it didn't feel like previous Sandman stories, which is not a bad thing, it was just weird.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    So I've just read the Sandman Overture deluxe.
    First of all, the art is AMAZING! J H Williams is probably my favorite current comicbook artist, any time I'm not satisfied with the art in a book I always instantly think it would be better with JH's art but then I realize that's true for almost anything.
    The man is unreal, so many styles on a single drawing!
    I agree 100% with you. He's a brilliant artist and one of my favorites as well. He's the ONLY reason I even tried Batwoman. When I first saw her outfit and everything, I didn't think I would like the character. But because JHW was doing the art, it was a no brainer for me to buy it. And I ended up absolutely LOVING it. Not just the art, but the story, the characters. It's a great run.

I'll buy books though just to be amazed at his artwork.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor