View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1416 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 4169161316136614061412141314141415141614171418141914201426 ... LastLast
Results 21,226 to 21,240 of 21662
    All-New Member

Made an account just to ask, is there any update at all on the second Starman Compendium? It has been delayed so many times now. I've wanted to own this series for so long now it's beyond frustrating.

Absolute Three Jokers 3 issues for 60 bucks is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Absolute Three Jokers 3 issues for 60 bucks is crazy.
    Well, I guess Geoff Johns still sells like hotcakes

I feel like the absolute line has definitely gotten very...uneven in the last few years

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Well, I guess Geoff Johns still sells like hotcakes

I feel like the absolute line has definitely gotten very...uneven in the last few years
    I’m surprised about that because Johns is one of the very worst writers DC has to offer.

The Absolutes have lost their special lustre.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWayne View Post
    I’m surprised about that because Johns is one of the very worst writers DC has to offer.

The Absolutes have lost their special lustre.
    It's really just an artist's line now. Yeah, Johns sells, but this is really a Fabok book. Look at the Dark Nights: Metal collection compared to Final Crisis 10 years ago. Metal should have the two Dark Days prologues, Batman Lost, and Wild Hunt included if it was a Snyder collection. Instead, it's just the Capullo issues.

ETA: apparently Batman Lost and Wild Hunt have been added in the contents since the initial solicitation. I'll still stand by the Dark Days issues needing to be included if DC was on their game for Absolute Editions
    Last edited by bob.schoonover; 09-23-2022 at 05:05 AM.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    It's really just an artist's line now. Yeah, Johns sells, but this is really a Fabok book. Look at the Dark Nights: Metal collection compared to Final Crisis 10 years ago. Metal should have the two Dark Days prologues, Batman Lost, and Wild Hunt included if it was a Snyder collection. Instead, it's just the Capullo issues.

ETA: apparently Batman Lost and Wild Hunt have been added in the contents since the initial solicitation. I'll still stand by the Dark Days issues needing to be included if DC was on their game for Absolute Editions
    Yeah I think you’re right. I wanted to buy Absolute Sandman Overture because I own the full series in that size. Unfortunately I couldn’t justify the price for six issues. Yes I know it also includes the pencils for all six issues but the technical side of things doesn’t really interest me. I guess the Deluxe Hardcover is the best format of this book for me. I did buy and read the single issues but donated them when I decided I wanted it in Absolute to go with the rest of my collections.

I agree they should have been in there along with Hawkman Found they all feature artist worthy of being in an absolute edition.

BANNED

It’s great to see Peter David’s final arc on Young Justice getting collected later this year after a 2 year hiatus. It gives me hope for some of the other stalled series.

I wonder if PAD will ever write new material for DC again. I miss Linda Danvers and want her as Superwoman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I'm happy at least I got his whole Suicide Squad run collected. However, his Spectre really deserves to be completed, and one more TPB would have completed his Martian Manhunter.
    I’m in the process of reading those series on DCUI. I can’t wait to see Babs evolve into Oracle! I loved her so much better as Oracle than Batgirl. Nowadays I avoid any issue with her in it. 😔

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWayne View Post
    It’s great to see Peter David’s final arc on Young Justice getting collected later this year after a 2 year hiatus. It gives me hope for some of the other stalled series.

I wonder if PAD will ever write new material for DC again. I miss Linda Danvers and want her as Superwoman.
    I'm excited for this too. I'd already given up hope. However, I'll only celebrate when I have the book in my hands. Not the first time DC has gone back on announced collections (I'm still waiting on Legion Worlds, Hercules, Justice Leagyue Zero Hour, Power of Shazam vol. 02, and so many others).

Peace

I finally got in the mood to explore my old copy of Legion of Super-Heroes The Great Darkness Saga TPB (1989 version) after owning it for several years - and this thing hit me hard. Just a dizzying amount of characters, planets, world building - I need to read more! I will admit it was very challenging to initially get into (and I actually tried once before and failed), being tossed into a story and world and sheer number of characters with almost no introduction is tough to follow but it seems you just have to jump in and go for it.

From what I understand Levitz's Legion 1984 3rd Series #1-63 was never collected outside of some tiny TPBs collecting only the first 15 or so issues? This seems like one of DC major offenses - leaving this stuff un-collected. What the heck is the matter with them?

I also saw Giffen's Legion '5 Years Later' finally got collected in omnis but the first volume goes for $300+ already.
    Why cant DC be more like Marvel and keep stuff obtainable for readers? This is ridiculous.
    How about Epic-like TPBs instead of ultra limited omnis?

Also, I own Johns' Superman and Legion HC and Johns' Final Crisis Legion of 3 Worlds - which I really like - but will have to re-read now that I have far more context.
    I was thinking of giving Waid's 2004-ish Legion reboot's first 13 issues or so a try as well. Any opinions there?
    Last edited by Destro777; 09-24-2022 at 12:53 PM.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    I finally got in the mood to explore my old copy of Legion of Super-Heroes The Great Darkness Saga TPB (1989 version) after owning it for several years - and this thing hit me hard. Just a dizzying amount of characters, planets, world building - I need to read more! I will admit it was very challenging to initially get into (and I actually tried once before and failed), being tossed into a story and world and sheer number of characters with almost no introduction is tough to follow but it seems you just have to jump in and go for it.

From what I understand Levitz's Legion 1984 3rd Series #1-63 was never collected outside of some tiny TPBs collecting only the first 15 or so issues? This seems like one of DC major offenses - leaving this stuff un-collected. What the heck is the matter with them?

I also saw Giffen's Legion '5 Years Later' finally got collected in omnis but the first volume goes for $300+ already.
    Why cant DC be more like Marvel and keep stuff obtainable for readers? This is ridiculous.
    How about Epic-like TPBs instead of ultra limited omnis?

Also, I own Johns' Superman and Legion HC and Johns' Final Crisis Legion of 3 Worlds - which I really like - but will have to re-read now that I have far more context.
    I was thinking of giving Waid's 2004-ish Legion reboot's first 13 issues or so a try as well. Any opinions there?
    Just finished the silver age and bronze age LOSH and about to jump into Levitz run on 3rd series so far all his stuff has been great. 5 Years Later was great I can see why omnibus would shoot up in price. Sadly LOSH seems very limited and if you do not grab them when they come out you are out of luck. Had to hunt down a bunch of single issues. It is a shame how they do not collect it properly as it is really good. They have done some hardcovers leading up to Great Darkness and collected the Curse after that, but that still leaves a chunk of issues uncollected.

BANNED

On the topic of Legion of Super-Heroes, my favorite version is the Zero Hour reboot and I’m still so disappointed that DC stopped collecting it after two volumes.

I tried 5 Years Later and couldn’t get into it. The Watchmen-esque nine-panel grids on just about every page was a major turn off.

The Great Darkness Saga is ok but lacked impact since I already knew who the Big Bad was.

I’m surprised the Threeboot hasn’t been recollected since it was originally published. That was my first experience with LSH and I liked it a lot.

Mighty Member

I'd love to see a few different Legion omnis - since 5YL vol 1 sold out, I'm hoping that's possible - the big two being Levitz's run (vol 3) and post-Zero Hour (ideally, including all the contents of the two Legionairres collections plus a decent amount more). It has been bothering me for about 15 years now that DC keeps trying to make the LoSH happen again* w/o providing any good collections on the stands to help people enjoy the team.

*in no particular order, in Waid's Brave and the Bold, Johns' and Meltzer's Lightning Saga, the New 52, and most recently Bendis's new run.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

I'd love to see a few different Legion omnis - since 5YL vol 1 sold out, I'm hoping that's possible - the big two being Levitz's run (vol 3) and post-Zero Hour (ideally, including all the contents of the two Legionairres collections plus a decent amount more). It has been bothering me for about 15 years now that DC keeps trying to make the LoSH happen again* w/o providing any good collections on the stands to help people enjoy the team.

*in no particular order, in Waid's Brave and the Bold, Johns' and Meltzer's Lightning Saga, the New 52, and most recently Bendis's new run.
    I wanted to try them for years, but lack of trades held back on that until got silver age omnis and 5 years later. Ended up buying a bunch of single runs. Got everything up to vol 5, but heard that is not the best.