View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 63 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 1353596061626364656667731131635631063 ... LastLast

I found the Infinite Crisis Omnibus recently and when I read through it I really enjoyed it. I think it definitely benefited from the omnibus format(having all of the tie-ins in one place so they could weave together to form a complete story). Did everybody else enjoy that book? I understand it got a lot of hate on the Internet when it was first released.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHorus View Post
    Morales blew me away in Identity Crisis. It's almost impossible to believe how much he has sucked lately. I mean, this guy almost ruined Grant Morrison's Action Comics.
    I thought Grant Morrison did that.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nateallen30 View Post
    I found the Infinite Crisis Omnibus recently and when I read through it I really enjoyed it. I think it definitely benefited from the omnibus format(having all of the tie-ins in one place so they could weave together to form a complete story). Did everybody else enjoy that book? I understand it got a lot of hate on the Internet when it was first released.
    I loved Infinite Crisis and it's satellite titles. That whole era of DC was working wonders for me. Unfortunately, I missed out on the omnibus.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    I thought Grant Morrison did that.
    It was a joint effort.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Reading the omnibus was the first time I'd read most of the material and I really, really enjoyed it.

I really enjoyed everything except the event itself. All of the lead up issues were fantastic but I tend to find Johns' events very bland. A lot going on but nothing really happening, big moments that aren't actually very exciting and the whole event wasn't helped by the art which began to really suffer as the event progressed and schedules were getting tight.

BANNED

I don't remember hate surrounding that omnibus. It's a fantastic book. Sure it suffers from a tight mousetrap binding and gutter loss, but so do the vast majority of DCs omniboo so it's not a knock on that book in particular.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by aquitaine View Post
    I don't remember hate surrounding that omnibus. It's a fantastic book. Sure it suffers from a tight mousetrap binding and gutter loss, but so do the vast majority of DCs omniboo so it's not a knock on that book in particular.
    I guess I have lower standards from binding. I never once considered the Infinite Crisis a "tight mousetrap binding." I think I only reserve that term for my NTT vol. 1. That one is a bit rough...

Anyway, the story is enjoyable, but not > $300 good. I sold mine for nearly $350 and never looked back. I'm okay with standard sized and less than $100 for the whole story in floppies bound into a hardcover. I'm always blown away by the price people are willing to pay for an official release when they could send their own comics in and have them bound for a fraction of the price...
    Last edited by Rorsch; 06-27-2014 at 08:51 AM.

If I wanted the complete story of the Death & Return of Supes, would you recommend the omnibus or just getting the 3 tpbs?

I read on Amazon that parts of the story were cut out of the omnibus. Is this important enough to skip the omni?

Also, here's another question. What are your top 3 favorite Absolutes in terms of story?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUserName12 View Post
    If I wanted the complete story of the Death & Return of Supes, would you recommend the omnibus or just getting the 3 tpbs?

I read on Amazon that parts of the story were cut out of the omnibus. Is this important enough to skip the omni?

Also, here's another question. What are your top 3 favorite Absolutes in terms of story?
    Planetary, Sandman, and Watchmen... in no particular order.

I think only the old edition is incomplete, the new edition has everything, maybe a JLA issue is missing but It felt quite complete to me (I've read only the new omnibus and it was my first time reading the story).

Spectacular Member Commissioner Gordon's Avatar

I believe those reviews on Amazon are referencing the old version of the omnibus. I'm definitely no expert on 90's Superman, but I can't imagine the current edition leaves anything important out, it certainly felt like a complete story when I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Commissioner Gordon View Post
    I believe those reviews on Amazon are referencing the old version of the omnibus. I'm definitely no expert on 90's Superman, but I can't imagine the current edition leaves anything important out, it certainly felt like a complete story when I read it.
    I'm no Superman expert either, but I just finished the Death and Return Omnibus last night and really enjoyed it. There was an issue not long after the Death that was not very good (IMO), but I really enjoyed the rest of it. Part of my enjoyment could be revisiting some issues that I haven't read since my youth, but there were quite a few issues I never read. I thought for the most part the entire book was enjoyable (barring that one issue and perhaps the way Superman returned).

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

The new edition of the Death and Return of Superman is indeed complete.

I highly recommend it over the first edition (which is OOP anyway) or the 3 trades.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by aquitaine View Post
    I could be wrong but I assumed he meant the event itself got some flak when it came out.