View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 901 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 40180185189189789889990090190290390490591195110011401 ... LastLast
Results 13,501 to 13,515 of 21672

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl70 View Post
    Lots of great ideas suggested here! I wish we could have them all made into Omni's and everyone could be happy!
    My preference is still Omni's from the Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age up until around year 2000.
    After that, prefer Deluxe HC's or making my own custom stuff.
    Yeah idk. Omni's are just too much to handle. Id rather the deluxe as well

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

I've been reading a lot of the immediate Post-Crisis DC lately, and it's really hilarious to me how hard they were pushing certain characters and books in that period that never broke out and--to me, at least--seems obvious never would. Like, Firestorm, Captain Atom, THE "MYSTERIOUS" MANHUNTER, Checkmate, Vigilante, and to a lesser extent Doctor Fate, etc. They pushed these characters sooooooooo hard. Every major event had them in front and center roles, every core book had a crossover with their titles, etc. And then a decade hence most of them were nowhere to be found, reduced to minor cameos in stories not their own. It reminds me a lot of what Marvel is trying to do right now, with about the same amount of success (no, sorry, the Inhumans still aren't anything special. )

Makes me wonder about the major push DC is giving the Suicide Squad at the moment, and if it will work or if they'll be nowhere to be found a decade hence, too. Because it's definitely an artificial prominence they're being given in the DCU at the moment--the quality isn't there and neither is a level of fan enthusiasm that warrants it.

Also, despite the hilariousness of these transparent pushes of certain characters and books, a lot of the immediate Post-Crisis DC is really, really good. When does it all go to shit for the 90s malaise?

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    I've been reading a lot of the immediate Post-Crisis DC lately, and it's really hilarious to me how hard they were pushing certain characters and books in that period that never broke out and--to me, at least--seems obvious never would. Like, Firestorm, Captain Atom, THE "MYSTERIOUS" MANHUNTER, Checkmate, Vigilante, and to a lesser extent Doctor Fate, etc. They pushed these characters sooooooooo hard. Every major event had them in front and center roles, every core book had a crossover with their titles, etc. And then a decade hence most of them were nowhere to be found, reduced to minor cameos in stories not their own. It reminds me a lot of what Marvel is trying to do right now, with about the same amount of success (no, sorry, the Inhumans still aren't anything special. )

Makes me wonder about the major push DC is giving the Suicide Squad at the moment, and if it will work or if they'll be nowhere to be found a decade hence, too. Because it's definitely an artificial prominence they're being given in the DCU at the moment--the quality isn't there and neither is a level of fan enthusiasm that warrants it.

Also, despite the hilariousness of these transparent pushes of certain characters and books, a lot of the immediate Post-Crisis DC is really, really good. When does it all go to shit for the 90s malaise?
    I don't recall DC going to shit in the 90s - certainly not like Marvel.

In fact, Chuck Dixon was killing it on Robin and Nightwing. The Bat titles were doing well for the most part; Green Arrow was good and - I didn't like the title bu a bunch of people did - JLA/JLI did well. There also was the Vertigo stuff - Sandman, Hellblazer, Swamp Thing, etc.

Of course, Waid was rocking the Flash (that whole series was great) and there was the death of Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I don't recall DC going to shit in the 90s - certainly not like Marvel.

In fact, Chuck Dixon was killing it on Robin and Nightwing. The Bat titles were doing well for the most part; Green Arrow was good and - I didn't like the title bu a bunch of people did - JLA/JLI did well. There also was the Vertigo stuff - Sandman, Hellblazer, Swamp Thing, etc.

Of course, Waid was rocking the Flash (that whole series was great) and there was the death of Superman.
    And Starman, Birds of Prey, Power of Shazam, Ostrander's Spectre, Peter David's Young Justice, Aquaman, and Supergirl runs... the list goes on!

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
    And Starman, Birds of Prey, Power of Shazam, Ostrander's Spectre, Peter David's Young Justice, Aquaman, and Supergirl runs... the list goes on!
    Yeah, it was a pretty good era for DC. Sure they put out crap too, but what era didnt they?

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

Sure, I'd agree DC did better in the 90s than Marvel. And yeah, we can rattle off a list of good books from the era from both publishers, even if we'd agree that the quality overall was below the overall quality of most other eras in comic history.

I read Zero Hour and Rip Hunter is drawn to be indistinguishable from Cable.

We all remember what DC did to Hal Jordan.

Mike Deodato drew Wonder Woman as a hooker for a year (the story in those issues is actually excellent, it's just too bad about the art).

What exactly was Justice League Task Force supposed to be if not "LOOK KIDS THEY'RE ALL BADASSES NOW!"

Lobo?

So there's a few years there, at least, when DC takes a turn into the, as I put it, "90s malaise." I'm tentatively going to put it down as "after Giffen/De Matteis leave Justice League and before Morrison takes over." I mean . . . Bloodwynd.

Dixon really was killing it throughout the whole decade though. He doesn't get enough credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
    YES!!!! All of this, too! Can't believe I left out Starman!

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    We all remember what DC did to Hal Jordan.

Dixon really was killing it throughout the whole decade though. He doesn't get enough credit.
    I felt the Hal Jordan as Spectre in a redemption arc though, while a mixed bag, was on paper a good idea that had shaky execution.

I'm in that Dixon amen choir.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I felt the Hal Jordan as Spectre in a redemption arc though, while a mixed bag, was on paper a good idea that had shaky execution.

Yeah, it sounds really interesting, and it could have worked.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post

Same here, I really wish they would release the Hal-as-Spectre series in TPB, I actually thought they were planning to do so when they released Day of Judgement in TPB a few years back

You know what could use a deluxe? Twilight by Chaykin and Garcia Lopez. I've wanted to read it for a long time now, and recently picked up the trade that DC published a year or so ago, and I'm stunned. Very Euro/Moebius like.

Anything else by Garcia Lopez that's worth picking up, preferably oversized art?

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    You know what could use a deluxe? Twilight by Chaykin and Garcia Lopez. I've wanted to read it for a long time now, and recently picked up the trade that DC published a year or so ago, and I'm stunned. Very Euro/Moebius like.

Anything else by Garcia Lopez that's worth picking up, preferably oversized art?
    Congratulations. Ive never had to look up anything discussed here before until now. You win the medal of obscurity (for now). The cover art alone looks amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    Congratulations. Ive never had to look up anything discussed here before until now. You win the medal of obscurity (for now). The cover art alone looks amazing.
    Haha thanks?

I honestly forget how I even found out about it, but I've known for a very long time. It's pretty awesome so far, very much 80s sci-fi

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Haha thanks?

I honestly forget how I even found out about it, but I've known for a very long time. It's pretty awesome so far, very much 80s sci-fi
    It looks like it. The art definitely feels like the era, but something about the colors...really pops out to me.

Default Upcoming DC Box Sets

I know we have the following sets coming up later this year (Batman by Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo Vol. 2 and Justice League by Geoff Johns Vol. 1), but does anyone know what the plans are past that?

It seems safe to assume there will be one more Batman and additional Justice League sets, but do you think we'll eventually get a Batman & Robin by Peter J. Tomasi and Patrick Gleason or a Batman Incorporated by Grant Morrison?