View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Wrapped up Absolute Final Crisis and volumes 2 and 3 of Morrison's Batman this past week.

FC is still such a great book, especially the latter half. Could have done a bit better of a job with some of the character transitions in story in regards to the other tie ins, but overall really enjoyed rereading this for the 4th(5th?) time.

The second Batman omnibus was mostly a reread, I'm pretty sure I read every issue of this book back when it was coming out, but it's been a while. I really wish we had gotten more DickBats and Damien adventures from Morrison before he started bringing back/focusing on Bruce again. I know a few other writers at the time wrote the two of them together, but i really wish they had stuck with DickBats and Damien for more than the 1 publication year or so and really went with it.

The third was mostly new stuff for me - I think I had read the first few issues of Inc, but then fell off back when it was first published. I don't know how Burnham didn't become one of DC's premier artists after his run on Inc vol2, his work was consistently great. Some of the faces could be kinda funky sometimes, but overall he was really versatile. I also wish the Batman Inc was more line wide - and lasted longer. That could have been really fun with a lot of those characters.

Question though - all the Spyral stuff with OG Batwoman/Kathy Webb-Kane - is this ever followed up on by any other authors? I know Seeley/King did some Spyral stuff in Grayson, but I haven't read it yet.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Question though - all the Spyral stuff with OG Batwoman/Kathy Webb-Kane - is this ever followed up on by any other authors? I know Seeley/King did some Spyral stuff in Grayson, but I haven't read it yet.
    Without too much of a spoiler, Grayson tries really hard to address Kathy Kane w/o ever addressing Kathy Kane. One would guess that the original pitch was Kane-heavy, and editorial pared it all back to hints and allusions. I'm not aware of any other references to Kathy post-Morrison, which is such a shame. It's such a cool twist on the Batman vs spy agency type story.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Incredible Member

Morrison's run on Batman is perhaps my favorite run in comics, but I've never read Final Crisis. Of course, the blanks are filled in enough for me to understand the implications, but I have to wonder if I am missing out big time by omitting this story from my re-reads of Morrison's Batman.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    Morrison's run on Batman is perhaps my favorite run in comics, but I've never read Final Crisis. Of course, the blanks are filled in enough for me to understand the implications, but I have to wonder if I am missing out big time by omitting this story from my re-reads of Morrison's Batman.
    I'm doing this from memory, so it might be a bit off, but Batman is probably on 20 pages total in FC. Now, he's a total badass in some of them, so it might be worth the price of admission, but it's not necessarily worth it if you're reading it for the Batman stuff primarily. I don't think you'll miss anything that isn't laid out in Return of Bruce Wayne or Batman 701/702, at least in a technical sense.

If you're just generally interested in the story, though, I think it's fantastic. Lots of stuff going on with the New Gods, Superman, Batman, the multiverse, etc. It's easily my favorite Crisis and one of my favorite event books
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    Without too much of a spoiler, Grayson tries really hard to address Kathy Kane w/o ever addressing Kathy Kane. One would guess that the original pitch was Kane-heavy, and editorial pared it all back to hints and allusions. I'm not aware of any other references to Kathy post-Morrison, which is such a shame. It's such a cool twist on the Batman vs spy agency type story.
    Gotcha - It's on my list to read, I just haven't gotten to it yet. It's a shame that a lot of what Morrison did was kind of just left alone after he was done, I think he did some really interesting things with the supporting cast and introduced a lot of newer villains and elements. Kinda of like his New Xmen run.

It's also wild to me how his Batman run has so many parallels with Brubaker Captain America run, even as they were coming out at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    I'm doing this from memory, so it might be a bit off, but Batman is probably on 20 pages total in FC. Now, he's a total badass in some of them, so it might be worth the price of admission, but it's not necessarily worth it if you're reading it for the Batman stuff primarily. I don't think you'll miss anything that isn't laid out in Return of Bruce Wayne or Batman 701/702, at least in a technical sense.

If you're just generally interested in the story, though, I think it's fantastic. Lots of stuff going on with the New Gods, Superman, Batman, the multiverse, etc. It's easily my favorite Crisis and one of my favorite event books
    Final Crisis is...big. It's extravagant. Morrison does not hold your hand at all. When I first read it as it was coming out in singles, I actually didn't like it. I reread it a year or two after it was complete and saw it in a whole new light. And it gets better every time. It's seriously grandiose. I agree with bob, it's one of my favorite crossover events too

Batman 702 is definitely a rehash of FC for his Batman run, but 701 fills in a lot of gaps between RIP and FC. It should have actually been included in FC or published earlier/end of RIP, in my opinion.

I'm really enjoying GA WW. However, a plus and a minus that I want to point out.

+
    Every issue (general aspect of GA as far as I'm aware) is a self contained story, so I can just read an issue as and when I like, weaving it in with other comics and prose very easily. Especially nice for those times when I have minimal reading time. I think I will probably always have some GA comics on hand for this reason - I'm thinking some Green Lantern next as the next GA WW isn't out until summer.

-
    The whole Baroness Paula von Gunther had a captive child and therefore her absolute lack of morality, treasonous deeds and general evilness are all forgiven and now she gets to serve Aphrodite, is so irksome that I find it hard to express. It's about the dumbest thing I've ever seen in comics. That wouldn't fly even if she had acted only within the bounds of what she had to do to keep her daughter alive, but she didn't, she went well beyond that and enjoyed a lot of it. I just don't get it.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I'm really enjoying GA WW. However, a plus and a minus that I want to point out.

+
    Every issue (general aspect of GA as far as I'm aware) is a self contained story, so I can just read an issue as and when I like, weaving it in with other comics and prose very easily. Especially nice for those times when I have minimal reading time. I think I will probably always have some GA comics on hand for this reason - I'm thinking some Green Lantern next as the next GA WW isn't out until summer.

-
    The whole Baroness Paula von Gunther had a captive child and therefore her absolute lack of morality, treasonous deeds and general evilness are all forgiven and now she gets to serve Aphrodite, is so irksome that I find it hard to express. It's about the dumbest thing I've ever seen in comics. That wouldn't fly even if she had acted only within the bounds of what she had to do to keep her daughter alive, but she didn't, she went well beyond that and enjoyed a lot of it. I just don't get it.
    Have you read other GA comics? Cause if I'm not mistaken WW was kind of a unique one. From that time period I've mostly read comic strips but those are usually superior to comics (not all, obviously).

With the recent Lucifer and Books of Magic omnibus do you guys think there's a chance to a Sandman Mistery Theatre omnibus?
    I want to collect the series but its a bit hard! I love the covers and the art and the crime atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by seusilva View Post
    With the recent Lucifer and Books of Magic omnibus do you guys think there's a chance to a Sandman Mistery Theatre omnibus?
    I want to collect the series but its a bit hard! I love the covers and the art and the crime atmosphere.
    I recently picked up a few of the trades for Mystery Theatre, and I've been wondering that myself. Honestly, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    Me too. Held on hoping Amazon would fulfil my cheap pre-order. Should have just grabbed it from elsewhere, it's not like I wouldn't have been able to re-sell a second copy.
    Amazon US had a restock, £60 including shipping. Now just need to wait and see in what condition it makes it over the Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Have you read other GA comics? Cause if I'm not mistaken WW was kind of a unique one. From that time period I've mostly read comic strips but those are usually superior to comics (not all, obviously).
    I haven't actually. Good to know though!
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

They could do Sandman Mystery Theatre in two omni's (like they did with the Lucifer ones) and I'd definitely buy them since they apparently can't get their sh!t together long enough to finish the trades.

I'm still holding off on buying Books of Magic until I see the second volume solicited; my poor shelves can't handle another orphan...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I’m hoping with the rise of compendiums that we may get a Mystery Theatre set at some point. I think that might be the most economical route for DC.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    I’m hoping with the rise of compendiums that we may get a Mystery Theatre set at some point. I think that might be the most economical route for DC.
    Ooh, good point! These days, 2-3 books at ~$50 each is much more appealing to me than 2 at $150 each.

The sheer amount of pages they stuff between paper covers with glued bindings has me worries about the durability of the format, but I haven't seen any bad reviews of the Fables compendium yet...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Spectacular Member

As others have said, its possible but not likely. Both Lucifer and Books of Magic had recent series under the Sandman Universe banner. The Lucifer and Books of Magic omnis are presented as "Sandman Universe Classics." Had there been a new Sandman Mystery Theatre series, it'd be more likely.

If the Books of Magic and Lucifer omnis sell well enough, though, they might try for a Sandman Mystery Theatre omni too. But I wouldn't get my hopes up.