View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

NIGHTWING: THE REBIRTH DELUXE EDITION BOOK THREE OHC Cover by YASMINE PUTRI:

SUPERMAN: KRYPTONITE DELUXE EDITION OHC Cover by TIM SALE:

WONDER WOMAN BY BRIAN AZZARELLO AND CLIFF CHIANG OMNIBUS Cover by CLIFF CHIANG:

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    DETECTIVE COMICS: BEFORE BATMAN (VOLS. 1 AND 2) OMNIBUS Cover:
    That should be an interesting set. I really enjoy Golden Age superhero comics. I don't know how much I'll enjoy the other genres, but I'm very likely to buy the books and find out.

Swamp Thing Absolute:

Not a bad price. But I already have the trades! I'd love an Absolute version. Especially for this run. It'll be done in what? 2 volumes?

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    Swamp Thing Absolute:

Not a bad price. But I already have the trades! I'd love an Absolute version. Especially for this run. It'll be done in what? 2 volumes?
    It'll be done in 3 volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    It'll be done in 3 volumes.
    Ah what the crap :/

The cover for this Absolute looks gorgeous. I am really annoyed it will take 3 volumes, it could be done in two I think. Then again, I suppose it depends what else will be included for content.

3 volumes is perfect it worked for Y and Preacher well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    3 volumes is perfect it worked for Y and Preacher well.
    Preacher collected 75 issues of the series plus a 4 issue mini series and 5 double sized one shots. That's a total of 89 regular issues in 3 volumes giving almost 30 issues per volume.

Y: The last Man collected 60 issues in 3 volumes. That's 20 issues per volume.

The Alan Moore Swamp Thing run was issues #20-64 and Annual #2 plus an issue of DC Comics Presents. That's about 48 regular issues total. Splitting it into 2 volumes would be 24 issues per volume for a total price of $200. That's right in the middle between Preacher and Y. Instead DC is putting into 3 volumes with 16 issues per volume and a total price of $300.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Preacher collected 75 issues of the series plus a 4 issue mini series and 5 double sized one shots. That's a total of 89 regular issues in 3 volumes giving almost 30 issues per volume.

The Alan Moore Swamp Thing run was issues #20-64 and Annual #2 plus an issue of DC Comics Presents. That's about 48 regular issues total. Splitting it into 2 volumes would be 24 issues per volume for a total price of $200. That's right in the middle between Preacher and Y. Instead DC is putting into 3 volumes with 16 issues per volume and a total price of $300.
    So two issues is definitely possible. It almost sounds like they're milking it. Can you imagine? DC milking a series?

Anyway, my only fear of getting these is that DC swings its axe around and we don't get Volumes 2&3.

Astonishing Member

So two issues is definitely possible. It almost sounds like they're milking it. Can you imagine? DC milking a series?

Anyway, my only fear of getting these is that DC swings its axe around and we don't get Volumes 2&3.
    I'm not as nervous about it becoming an orphaned line. DC has treated Alan Moore's material as evergreen books that are always in print.

I'm not as nervous about it becoming an orphaned line. DC has treated Alan Moore's material as evergreen books that are always in print.
    >Evergreen

Pun intended? I suppose you are right. But compared to Watchmen and LoEG, Swamp Thing gets the short end.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

They learned from the best milkers in the biz!*

*Marvel are the best milkers, in case there's any confusion.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    They learned from the best milkers in the biz!*

*Marvel are the best milkers, in case there's any confusion.
    I guess I don't even notice the Marvel milking. I like the sound of that though, even though its horrible. I move that DC Collected Editions should change its name to, The Dark Knight Reprinted Formats and Collected Editions and Others.

You make a crucial error in this calculation. If they were 24 issues per volume, it would be at LEAST $125 per volume, and probably actually $150 since they're putting in a lot of recoloring work.