View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 593 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 934935435835895905915925935945955965976036436931093 ... LastLast
Results 8,881 to 8,895 of 21662

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Final Crisis is a masterpiece but you are absolutely right except it's not boring. Pretentiousness is subjective.
    But at least it's something unique and if you can be bothered with it it's very rewarding (if you can't I can understand it) unlike Flashpoint.
    btw: I'm pretty sure Morrison quit drugs in around the late 90's.

Ha ha, I know. He can still be "addled" tho.
    I understood FC, I just didn't like it other than the Batman/Darkseid confrontation. (One of Morrison's strengths is the final showdown - Invisibles, Batman Inc, and Doom Patrol for example.)
    I actually didn't mind Flashpoint. I agree it wasn't rewarding because it led to the new 52, but I enjoyed the story line. I'd love for DC to collect it along with Johns' final Flash run.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    I agree with above. Not much essential reading outside of FC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mix_Masta_Micah View Post
    Haha I always hear Final Crisis is divisive. I am very much down with reading all of this, guess I'm going to have to read through JLA and maybe even Animal Man lol

I AM surprised that Final Crisis doesn't require even more reading; there are some articles that have an INSANE reading order for it.
    Actually it would help to be familiar with parts of his Batman. It's almost like some panels continue from Batman to FC even though they might have been published months apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Final Crisis is a masterpiece but you are absolutely right except it's not boring. Pretentiousness is subjective.
    But at least it's something unique and if you can be bothered with it it's very rewarding (if you can't I can understand it) unlike Flashpoint.
    btw: I'm pretty sure Morrison quit drugs in around the late 90's.
    Yeah he was long past his drug stage by the time he wrote Final Crisis. I agree it is a master piece, the absolute is great was a big fan of the additional pages and the 3D reprint.

Does anyone think Justice League United vol 2 is going to come out in paperback, or is it being quietly swept under the rug? Vol 3 comes out in TPB in July.

Quote Originally Posted by Nateallen30 View Post
    Well, the order of events is Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, Blackest Night, Flashpoint. Flashpoint brings an end to the old DCU.
    Johns' Flash and JSA, which are available in omnibus form were solid runs on interesting characters that planted a lot of seeds for all of the events that you mentioned.
    I would recommend reading the trade of Identity Crisis and all of the material collected in the Infinite Crisis Omnibus. They are available in separate paperbacks.
    In between Infinite and Final Crisis, you should get the 52 Omnibus or the new edition chunky trades. It is by Morrison, Johns, Waid, and Rucka and covers a year chronologically in real time for the DCU.

Good writing team but the d-level cast characters didn't wow me. Mainly just continuity-filler between IC and One Year Later while the big guns are laying low for a year. 52 didn't even accomplish all of the storybeats that were planned, as the creators got off on different tangents. Much of the stuff that needed to happen to get to OYC had to be crammed into the World War III mini at the end.

Secret Six is excellent though. I read Johns' GL, and the only time I read GLC was during the Sinestro Corps War and War of the Green Lanterns which took place in both books.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Actually it would help to be familiar with parts of his Batman. It's almost like some panels continue from Batman to FC even though they might have been published months apart.
    Yeah. I wrote and deleted that a couple times. Ultimately though, I think FC is essential to his Batman run, but I think it would be silly to tell someone interested in FC that first they have to read Morrison's Batman. Definitely makes sense understanding the entire picture, but seems like a lot of work for a better context of a few scenes.

Yeah Batman is not necessary for Final Crisis, it's too much groundwork if your just wanting to get to the point of it all. I would recommend it though as a seperate thread to the story. Now if you are specifically wanting to read his Batman run, then FC is necessary...and then to understand FC there is a whole other set of required reading lol.

Onions.

Fantastic Member Mix_Masta_Micah's Avatar

Shewee. Thanks for all the answers guys. I have a lot of reading to get to it seems. Has anyone read the Johns' Flash (Wally) stuff? I am halfway through the second arc and it's enjoyable but nothing groundbreaking I don't think. Does this get better or is it just a case of it being somewhat overrated?

BANNED

If you are gonna get Final Crisis, get the expended edition. It collects Final Crisis #1-7, Final Crisis: Submit #1, Final Crisis: Superman Beyond 3-D #1-2, DC Universe Zero, and Batman #682-683.

I haven't read anyother version so i don't know how much of better read this one but it seems even if the whole Morrison Batman run is not essential to Final Crisis, Batman 682-683 are essentials

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Shewee. Thanks for all the answers guys. I have a lot of reading to get to it seems. Has anyone read the Johns' Flash (Wally) stuff? I am halfway through the second arc and it's enjoyable but nothing groundbreaking I don't think. Does this get better or is it just a case of it being somewhat overrated?
    Blood Will Run is by far the worst arc of the series. Wally West is my favorite character, and I almost gave up on the run based on how much I disliked the arc. You should definitely keep going. Birthright and Iron Heights right after are great.
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by Batarang View Post
    If you are gonna get Final Crisis, get the expended edition. It collects Final Crisis #1-7, Final Crisis: Submit #1, Final Crisis: Superman Beyond 3-D #1-2, DC Universe Zero, and Batman #682-683.

I haven't read anyother version so i don't know how much of better read this one but it seems even if the whole Morrison Batman run is not essential to Final Crisis, Batman 682-683 are essentials
    This. The only Batman you have to read are the two tie-in issues, and the Return of Bruce Wayne mini afterwards.
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    Blood Will Run is by far the worst arc of the series. Wally West is my favorite character, and I almost gave up on the run based on how much I disliked the arc. You should definitely keep going. Birthright and Iron Heights right after are great.
    The first arc and Blood Will Run ended up being a slog haha you're right. I finished the last two arcs in the trade and they were wonderful. I assume from this point on the stories are worthwhile?

Some content changes that may have already been discussed, but better safe than sorry:

BATMAN: WAR GAMES VOL. 2 TP has increased to 636 pages and is now priced at $39.99. The volume now collects Batgirl #56-#57, Batman #632-#634, #643-#644, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #183-#184, Batman: Gotham Knights #57- #58, Catwoman #35-#36, Detective #798-#800, #809-#810, Nightwing #97-#98, Robin #130-#131.
    TALES OF THE BATMAN ALAN BRENNERT HC has been decreased to 200 pages, and now collects Detective Comics #500; Brave and the Bold #178, 181, 182, 197; Secret Origins #50, Christmas With the Superheroes Special #2; Batman: Holy Terror and Gotham Knights #10.

Also, the following books have been reprinted:
    ABSOLUTE ALL-STAR SUPERMAN HC NEW PRINTING (MAY110255) (3rd printing)
    ABSOLUTE BATMAN: HUSH HC NEW PRINTING (MAY110256) (4th printing)
    BATMAN & ROBIN VOL. 1: BATMAN REBORN TP (DEC100246) (6th printing)
    BATMAN & ROBIN VOL. 2: BATMAN VS. ROBIN TP (AUG110241) (6th printing)
    BATMAN: BATTLE FOR THE COWL TP (AUG100199) (6th printing)
    BATMAN: GATES OF GOTHAM TP (NOV110194) (5th printing)
    THE FLASH VOL. 1: MOVE FORWARD TP (MAY130224) (6th printing)
    JOKER HC (JUL080124) (12th printing)
    SUICIDE SQUAD VOL. 3: DEATH IS FOR SUCKERS TP (JUL130239) (5th printing)
    SUICIDE SQUAD VOL. 4: DISCIPLINE AND PUNISH TP (JAN140341) (5th printing)
    SUICIDE SQUAD VOL. 5: WALLED IN TP (JUL140245) (4th printing)
    SUPERMAN: THE GOLDEN AGE OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC (FEB130227) (2nd printing)

The first arc and Blood Will Run ended up being a slog haha you're right. I finished the last two arcs in the trade and they were wonderful. I assume from this point on the stories are worthwhile?
    Yep. After Blood, Johsn starts getting into revitalizing the Rogues, which is the main reason his run is so acclaimed. It really is amazing work.
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    Yep. After Blood, Johsn starts getting into revitalizing the Rogues, which is the main reason his run is so acclaimed. It really is amazing work.
    Perfect. I'm glad I kept going through with it!