View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 03:04 PM.

Thanks for the feedback on Promethea, seems to be split so far. I'm a little worried about them not doing another volume either, but the price is reasonable at least.

Of course I don't know if I want to spend $50 this week for free shipping, I might wait until the new LoEG omni comes out to grab it, that's the next thing on my upcoming buy list.

Spectacular Member

Promethea is my fav. I upgraded to Absolutes from the trade, and may consider the OHC's which I like more. I keep thinking should have picked up the Tom Strong OHC's, but I'm trying not to upgrade too much.

Aquaman is sold out already?!! wow. I wonder how long that Masters of the Universe one will hang around.
    Last edited by koonfasa; 03-05-2019 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by koonfasa View Post
    Promethea is my fav. I upgraded to Absolutes from the trade, and may consider the OHC's which I like more. I keep thinking should have picked up the Tom Strong OHC's, but I'm trying not to upgrade too much.

Aquaman is sold out already?!! wow. I wonder how long that Masters of the Universe one will hang around.
    shows how unprepared DC has been regarding Aquaman, they should have anticipated that the movie would have generated interest.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    I always feel a little out of the loop with this stuff, are DC discontinuing the deluxe line?
    Looking at the hardcovers coming out, after the Rebirth vol. 4's, they seem to still be double length hardcovers, just not OHC's.
    I have no idea how this is working out. Batman Rebirth Deluxe 4 ends with Batman 57. So It appears as it currently stands I will have to go from Vol 4 Deluxe which ends at 57 than switch to Batman TP Vol 9 which give me batman 58-60 than vol 10 HC (which is missing 64/65).
    It would have been nice if they could have at least finished out an authors run in deluxe than switched formats.

I have been collecting the Batman/Superman/Flash deluxe lines. With the switch the standard size HC (it seems), and no trades, I will just stop buying the DC stuff. I will either wait for an omnibus line or wait for cheaper trades to finish off any current run I was reading. I have no desire to collect more expensive versions of trades. I bought 2 hardcovers for Snyders run and it felt pointless if the page size was the same as the available trades.
    Last edited by RamblingMan; 03-06-2019 at 10:00 AM.

Regarding Promethea - I read it back when it was released monthly then got the Absolutes.

The story, for me, is really up & down/hit or miss - it has me for a while, then it loses me completely, then it has me again, and so forth.
    Though, it is better on the second read-through.
    The art however, is excellent throughout, and the Absolute edition is a nice showcase for it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    I have no idea how this is working out. Batman Rebirth Deluxe 4 ends with Batman 57. So It appears as it currently stands I will have to go from Vol 4 Deluxe which ends at 57 than switch to Batman TP Vol 9 which give me batman 58-60 than vol 10 HC (which is missing 64/65).
    It would have been nice if they could have at least finished out an authors run in deluxe than switched formats.

I have been collecting the Batman/Superman/Flash deluxe lines. With the switch the standard size HC (it seems), and no trades, I will just stop buying the DC stuff. I will either wait for an omnibus line or wait for cheaper trades to finish off any current run I was reading. I have no desire to collect more expensive versions of trades. I bought 2 hardcovers for Snyders run and it felt pointless if the page size was the same as the available trades.
    Where did you hear they are stopping their deluxe editions?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punjabi_Hitman View Post
    Where did you hear they are stopping their deluxe editions?
    A combination of masterworks forum/Bleeding Cool and discussion from DC about reducing the amount of collections they put out. It looks like DC is switching from (softcovers than deluxes) to instead releasing a slightly larger hardcover that looks to be standard trim. You can also see this direction on Amazon. There are no volume 5 solicited and some stop at 3 (Action comics, Flash etc).

Some titles look to be stopping the current numbering and started over. There was an article about detective comics restarted at vol 1.
    Last edited by RamblingMan; 03-06-2019 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    A combination of masterworks forum/Bleeding Cool and discussion from DC about reducing the amount of collections they put out. It looks like DC is switching from (softcovers than deluxes) to instead releasing a slightly larger hardcover that looks to be standard trim. You can also see this direction on Amazon. There are no volume 5 solicited and some stop at 3 (Action comics, Flash etc).

Some titles look to be stopping the current numbering and started over. There was an article about detective comics restarted at vol 1.
    In terms of the Rebirth Deluxe Editions. Don't most of them reach a natural ending point? I only have been collecting Superman, Action Comics, & Detective Comics...But I believe Superman 1-4 & Action 1-3 is the entire run before Bendis takes over. And Detective 1-4 is Tynion's entire run.

I could be totally wrong though!

Spectacular Member

Has it been explained why Sandman omnibus 3 is so expensive? Everywhere I check says it's only 328 pages, but it's the same price as the recent He-Man omnibus which had over 1,500 pages.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    In terms of the Rebirth Deluxe Editions. Don't most of them reach a natural ending point? I only have been collecting Superman, Action Comics, & Detective Comics...But I believe Superman 1-4 & Action 1-3 is the entire run before Bendis takes over. And Detective 1-4 is Tynion's entire run.

I could be totally wrong though!
    I think you are right with those. Thanks for the reminder! Flash and Batman though carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieMad View Post
    Has it been explained why Sandman omnibus 3 is so expensive? Everywhere I check says it's only 328 pages, but it's the same price as the recent He-Man omnibus which had over 1,500 pages.
    It's 976 pages as per Amazon.

Incredible Member

The contents of this weeks "Catwoman by Balent vol 2"

Catwoman 0, 14-24
    Catwoman Annual 2
    Showcase '95 #4 (Catwoman story)

Extras
    Catwoman: The Catfile TPB cover
    Afterword from Chuck Dixon (1995)

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    The contents of this weeks "Catwoman by Balent vol 2"

Catwoman 0, 14-24
    Catwoman Annual 2
    Showcase '95 #4 (Catwoman story)

Extras
    Catwoman: The Catfile TPB cover
    Afterword from Chuck Dixon (1995)
    I pre-ordered this, even though it's becoming more and more unlikely they'll finish collecting it. Still fun memories of when Selina was at her best (imho).

And if I remember correctly, Annual #1 wasn't in the first volume. I wonder if they skipped it for space, or because it was awful?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I pre-ordered this, even though it's becoming more and more unlikely they'll finish collecting it. Still fun memories of when Selina was at her best (imho).

And if I remember correctly, Annual #1 wasn't in the first volume. I wonder if they skipped it for space, or because it was awful?
    Yeah given DC's track record I cant see them finishing the series (of course I would be pleasantly surprised if they did manage to!)

As for annual 1 it looks like Balent had no involvement in it which would explain why it was skipped https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Catwoman_Annual_Vol_2_1