View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Spectacular Member

Considering all those abandoned and incomplete trade series from DC (most annoying ones, for me personally, were Robin, Shadow Of The Bat, Superman/Batman and Teen Titans by Geoff Johns) you can thank god for every series they actually manage to complete. They'll need four or five trades for Simone's complete BOP run. Let's see how many of them we'll see in the end.

Just remember the latest Superman/Batman trades, where these clowns actually managed to release exactly six trades - out of seven, that would have been necessary to collect the complete series! THEN they released the first half of this series as an omnibus. In the future they'll release a second omnibus collecting the second half, which you then can buy as a substitute for the missing seventh trade.

So an educated guess for Simone's BOP would be: We'll see four trades (out of five necessary) and then an omnibus ...
    Last edited by shaboo; 01-13-2021 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    While I am double dipping and buying these new editions of Simone's run, I *really* wish they'd finish reprinting Dixon's at some point!
    This. No slight against Simone and her run, which I'm currently buying the new trades of, but I'd really like them to finish Dixon's run. I think it would only need 2-3 more books?

Mighty Member

To add to Shaboo's list, Batgirl (Cass) was one fat trade away from closing out the pre-War Games run. Everything from WG on was collected, so it wouldn't have been hard to make me happy. The Kyle Rayner GL run also just died, and now they're maybe starting another run in the middle of his tenure? Azrael (Knightfall era) appears to be one and done. Superman Red/Blue?

Man, DC is a mess. Somehow, Wally West is the only character that can get a whole run collected properly, and DC can't stop messing with his character and arc in ways that actively harm him. It's really insane
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

The Kyle Rayner and the ZH Legion cancellations after two books each killed me.

I meant to do this sooner, but I was curious with material collected last year, what are some must have collections, according to you? What does your top 10 trades (HC, Deluxe, ect) look like? I just thought it would be a fun question to kick off the year.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    Oh, and the Zero Hour event collections (the Justice League one was solicited and then canceled)!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    I meant to do this sooner, but I was curious with material collected last year, what are some must have collections, according to you? What does your top 10 trades (HC, Deluxe, ect) look like? I just thought it would be a fun question to kick off the year.
    Off the top of my head, Batman by Morrison v3 and by Dini are two big ones. I haven't read it yet (waiting for volume 2 next month), but the first volume of WW by WML was an important gap that I'm glad got filled.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shaboo View Post
    Considering all those abandoned and incomplete trade series from DC (most annoying ones, for me personally, were Robin, Shadow Of The Bat, Superman/Batman and Teen Titans by Geoff Johns) you can thank god for every series they actually manage to complete. They'll need four or five trades for Simone's complete BOP run. Let's see how many of them we'll see in the end.

Just remember the latest Superman/Batman trades, where these clowns actually managed to release exactly six trades - out of seven, that would have been necessary to collect the complete series! THEN they released the first half of this series as an omnibus. In the future they'll release a second omnibus collecting the second half, which you then can buy as a substitute for the missing seventh trade.

So an educated guess for Simone's BOP would be: We'll see four trades (out of five necessary) and then an omnibus ...
    Was there a canceled volume of Geoff Johns Teen Titans? I have the first two, and I swore I saw a third solicited at some point...? I can't imagine they wouldn't finish this; his name still sells books and his Titans run is still highly regarded.

Another example of DC's ongoing problem you mentioned is Giffen & DeMatteis' Justice League International. They've collected the same damn issues in standard HC, TPB, omnibus, and now remapped chunky trades, but they cannot seem to finish it. The back 1/3 of the run remains uncollected in ANY format!

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    This. No slight against Simone and her run, which I'm currently buying the new trades of, but I'd really like them to finish Dixon's run. I think it would only need 2-3 more books?
    If they'd bump the page count, they can complete Dixon's run in 2 chunky trades. In between him and Simone there was a couple of short arcs (I wouldn't call them fill-ins necessarily because they moved the narrative forward and "counted" toward the long term story) all worthy of collecting in my humble opinion...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
    Speaking of which, will there be an Omnibus collecting Simone's Birds of Prey?

When it happens, I won't mind buying it. I'll have these first two recent volumes of the trades, I'll just give them away to someone who enjoys them......And I'd love to see omnis for the Pfeifer/Lopez Catwoman run, Bryan Q Miller's Batgirl run, and Andreyko's Manhunter run. I have the tpbs for all of these, and I doubt omnis will be released for them, but if DC does release them, I'll double-dip and buy the omnis. I don't mind upgrading to a better product while giving the tpbs away to someone who'll appreciate reading some good material they haven't come across before.

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    Oh, and the Zero Hour event collections (the Justice League one was solicited and then canceled)!
    Probably because you and I were the only two people on earth who took notice of it.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Spectacular Member

Was there a canceled volume of Geoff Johns Teen Titans? I have the first two, and I swore I saw a third solicited at some point...? I can't imagine they wouldn't finish this; his name still sells books and his Titans run is still highly regarded.
    Those trade series aren't even officially canceled (adding to the annoyance); there'll be simply no solicitation of a new volume at some point.

There are three Teen Titans volumes, which were released yearly (2017, 2018 and 2019), the last one in May 2019. Looking at the current solicitations, there'll be no Volume 4 in the next months, so the gap between Volumes 3 and 4 will/would be at least two years. Yes, theoretically there's a chance they will finish this, but there are only very, very few trade series that received a new volume after a pause of more than two years.

In general, the pause between different volumes of trade series is insanely and ridiculously large at DC. Bring us a new volume every three months, release an omnibus or just forget about it. Anything else is totally moronic, especially if you never finish what you start!

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    Agreed.

The issues contained in their respective 3rd volumes would have been much better stopping points then where we got left off in the vol. 2's...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Quote Originally Posted by shaboo View Post
    Those trade series aren't even officially canceled (adding to the annoyance); there'll be simply no solicitation of a new volume at some point.

There are three Teen Titans volumes, which were released yearly (2017, 2018 and 2019), the last one in May 2019. Looking at the current solicitations, there'll be no Volume 4 in the next months, so the gap between Volumes 3 and 4 will/would be at least two years. Yes, theoretically there's a chance they will finish this, but there are only very, very few trade series that received a new volume after a pause of more than two years.

In general, the pause between different volumes of trade series is insanely and ridiculously large at DC. Bring us a new volume every three months, release an omnibus or just forget about it. Anything else is totally moronic, especially if you never finish what you start!
    My bad, I do have vol. 3, I just overlooked it when I checked my shelf because the spine doesn't match 1 and 2 (and don't get me started on DC's pathetic non-attempts to keep a consistent trade dress!).

There's been a few examples of ridiculously long waits between releases that actually get finished; the Byrne Superman trades, Ostrander's Suicide Squad come to mind. But generally speaking, yes, it rarely bodes well when 2 years pass between volumes...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Incredible Member

If they'd bump the page count, they can complete Dixon's run in 2 chunky trades. .
    I really don't get why DC don't start using the larger TPB format like they did for the Flash: Savage Velocity (which had 18 issues plus an annual at 480 pages) rather than the standard size TPB's they have been using for the Birds of Prey Hero Hunters/Batman: Caped Crusader/Batman: Dark Knight Detective books (360/248/280 pages respectively according to PRH) to get through these series quicker

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    To add to Shaboo's list, Batgirl (Cass) was one fat trade away from closing out the pre-War Games run. Everything from WG on was collected, so it wouldn't have been hard to make me happy. The Kyle Rayner GL run also just died, and now they're maybe starting another run in the middle of his tenure? Azrael (Knightfall era) appears to be one and done. Superman Red/Blue?

Man, DC is a mess. Somehow, Wally West is the only character that can get a whole run collected properly, and DC can't stop messing with his character and arc in ways that actively harm him. It's really insane
    Like jumping from Dixon's BOP run to Simone's one the new Kyle Rayner trade (Circle of Fire) is likewise jumping from the Ron Marz run to when Judd Winnick took over writing the title