Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
Dan DiDio talking collected editions

“We had a very poor 2018 with our collections. It forced us to reevaluate what we were collecting and how, so you saw a lot of changes taking place. If you saw the cancellations that occurred after solicitation, that’s probably because there was no appreciable interest for these titles-meaning that we couldn’t hit the minimum number to justify print. I’d much prefer just to cancel books than to have devalued product out there. We have to find ways to make our collected editions valuable, so that people want to purchase them and put them on a shelf. We also have to reevaluate these collections of six issues and out-when you collect six issues of a periodical regardless if it’s a complete story. You’re going to see more tweaking going forward, but I feel like we’re in a very good place.”

“We’re not cancelling because it’s a couple of copies off the number. We’re cancelling because it’s thousands of copies off. If we cannot get to two-thirds of that [minimum] number, then it does not justify publication.”

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/01...y-collections/
Also this by Dan Didio:

“We’re finding diminishing returns on the books with numbering on spines-they take the same periodical cadence that comes with our regular books. Every subsequent number drops precipitously. The longer those numbers run, the lower and lower those print runs become. Also, I want to make sure we’re clear about what’s in that book. That’s why the title’s more important. I’d like someone to pick it up for the reading experience rather than straight numbering.”

Very depressing. Dan Didio sounds like Tom Brevoort several years ago when people were asking for further Omnibus volumes of Amazing Spider-Man. Basically, he doesn't care about the main buyers of these collections or that numbering has much to do with it. If we go by his thinking, we shouldn't buy Flash by Johns Vol. 1 because we don't know if we'll even get Vol. 2 or 3.