View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Spectacular Member

Anyone have both the JSA by johns omnibus and tpb that are newly released and can say which is a better way to read this series? Does the tpb have more bonus features than the omnibus? I see that there are more issues collected in the tpb's that are being released now. Thanks for any info.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    Yeah, if you’re talking about the “___ Age” line, much of the price depends on whether the material has already been cleaned up and restored. For the first few GA volumes for each of the Big 3, that material had previously been reprinted in the Archives and Chronicles volumes over the years, so DC could charge less for it. Once they got past where those lines ended, they needed to start cleaning and restoring new material, which adds to the cost to produce, thus resulting in a price increase.
    Got it. Thanks! So does that also explain why the new Scott Snyder is so relatively expensive, or is that more a question of page count? At $40, one of the Golden Age Batman Omnis or the New Grant Morrison omnis are no brainwrs, so much harder to shell out the $80 for one. I’ll probably get the Snyder one, since his run is one of my favorites and never read the whole thing, but I’d be less likely to try something new at that price.

I was hoping maybe they tended to be released at the higher price and later they got reduced when a subsequent volume came out.

A question about The Dark Knight Returns if anyone can answer:

Is the reproduction better in the Deluxe Edition (with DKR2) or in the Collector Set with the 4 hardcovers? I want to upgrade to an oversized version but would rather not have it in super-glossy paper. Anyone compared the two?

Of course I'd much prefer the Absolute edition but its price is too steep for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Hank View Post
    A question about The Dark Knight Returns if anyone can answer:

Is the reproduction better in the Deluxe Edition (with DKR2) or in the Collector Set with the 4 hardcovers? I want to upgrade to an oversized version but would rather not have it in super-glossy paper. Anyone compared the two?

Of course I'd much prefer the Absolute edition but its price is too steep for me.
    I can't help it with the comparison but I can ease your mind about the absolute, cause that has glossy paper. Also it has TDKSA, which is ...not that good, and it makes the whole book too big and heavy (reason why I sold my copy).

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I can't help it with the comparison but I can ease your mind about the absolute, cause that has glossy paper. Also it has TDKSA, which is ...not that good, and it makes the whole book too big and heavy (reason why I sold my copy).
    I'm actually thinking of offloading my Absolute in favour of the Deluxe. TDKSA kind of ruins thw whole aspect of having TDKR in an Absolute format.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

The Collector’s Edition of DKR does not use glossy paper, but it’s not like the paper used in the 30th Anniversary of COIE Deluxe. It’s very much like the matte paper used in the original (if my memory can be trusted from 33 years ago.)

Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like I'll cross the Absolute off my wish list then, i like the size but don't want a real glossy paper with this.

Good to hear about the Collectors set, maybe I'll go with that one. I do like the matte paper type used in the COIE deluxe but I'm fine with a more standard flat matte too. I'll check out YouTube and see if anyone has a review of the Deluxe edition.

All-New Member

Yeah, if you’re talking about the “___ Age” line, much of the price depends on whether the material has already been cleaned up and restored. For the first few GA volumes for each of the Big 3, that material had previously been reprinted in the Archives and Chronicles volumes over the years, so DC could charge less for it. Once they got past where those lines ended, they needed to start cleaning and restoring new material, which adds to the cost to produce, thus resulting in a price increase.
    Thanks, that makes a lot of sense, but doesn’t completely explain the price differential between the Morrison and Anyder omnibuses. Is it purely page count?

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bound_Tales View Post
    Thanks, that makes a lot of sense, but doesn’t completely explain the price differential between the Morrison and Anyder omnibuses. Is it purely page count?
    Sorry, I didn’t see my previous post! Thought it didn’t go through.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bound_Tales View Post
    Probably, or at least mostly. Morrison Batman v2 collects 25 issues. (Though I’m guessing issue 700 might’ve been extra sized?) Snyder/Capullo v1 will be 33 issues. Both runs are from recent years, so neither will require scanning and restoration the way, say, Golden or Silver Age collections do.

Now, if you’re saying, “8 more issues doesn’t seem to justify a $50 bump in price,” well... yeah, your guess is as good as mine.

EDIT: This is purely speculation on my part, but Morrison’s run has been collected already in numerous oversized formats, including Absolutes and deluxe editions. DC might’ve priced the omnis more affordably to try to appeal to people who already own the material in one format and were on the fence about upgrading. Whereas most of Snyder’s run hasn’t been collected in oversized format, so there’s less duplication, so to speak.
    Last edited by The Lucky One; 07-09-2019 at 12:17 PM.

Mighty Member

Probably, or at least mostly. Morrison Batman v2 collects 25 issues. (Though I’m guessing issue 700 might’ve been extra sized?) Snyder/Capullo v1 will be 33 issues. Both runs are from recent years, so neither will require scanning and restoration the way, say, Golden or Silver Age collections do.

Now, if you’re saying, “8 more issues doesn’t seem to justify a $50 bump in price,” well... yeah, your guess is as good as mine.

EDIT: This is purely speculation on my part, but Morrison’s run has been collected already in numerous oversized formats, including Absolutes and deluxe editions. DC might’ve priced the omnis more affordably to try to appeal to people who already own the material in one format and were on the fence about upgrading. Whereas most of Snyder’s run hasn’t been collected in oversized format, so there’s less duplication, so to speak.
    It's also true that Snyder's run just sold better than Morrison's run, so they may be factoring in popularity/market size, as well.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Secret Wars II Apologist DantonR's Avatar

There are rumblings that the paper in Batman Deluxe 4 is more "matte" and less glossy than the other three volumes. One of the claims is that the paper is thinner. Can anyone verify this?

Absolutely true. The Batman Deluxe Edition 4 is not glossy paper. The spine on the cover is also black so it stands out on my shelf against the others. Literal black sheep!

Secret Wars II Apologist DantonR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Materiel View Post
    Absolutely true. The Batman Deluxe Edition 4 is not glossy paper. The spine on the cover is also black so it stands out on my shelf against the others. Literal black sheep!
    But is it still a quality book -- around the same standard set by the first three books? Matte paper doesn't necessarily bother me as long as the book doesn't look or feel cheap. Would you say that the paper is thinner?

Stange note about the spine. Reminds me of the Death of the Family standard HC (and its white dust jacket) during the Snyder years.

Quote Originally Posted by DantonR View Post
    But is it still a quality book -- around the same standard set by the first three books? Matte paper doesn't necessarily bother me as long as the book doesn't look or feel cheap. Would you say that the paper is thinner?

Stange note about the spine. Reminds me of the Death of the Family standard HC (and its white dust jacket) during the Snyder years.
    The book is still sturdy, still has the nice wrap around image under the jacket like the others. The paper is certainly down to preference. It was printed by the same company as the previous volume: Transcontinental Interglobe out of Canada.