View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 176 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 761261661721731741751761771781791801862262766761176 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,640 of 21671
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Royale View Post
    I've never bought a DC omnibus before, but the erm reputation precedes them.

I was wondering if any of the binding problems I keep hearing so much about are in these: House of Secrets, Planetary and Sleeper omnibuses.

Cheers
    Here I compared both House of Secrets and Sleeper to a Marvel omni in a previous discussion we were having about bindings. Sleepers binding is great, HoS is (in my opinion) the worst sewn binding DC has put out and Planetary is somewhere in the middle.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Royale View Post
    I've never bought a DC omnibus before, but the erm reputation precedes them.

I was wondering if any of the binding problems I keep hearing so much about are in these: House of Secrets, Planetary and Sleeper omnibuses.

Cheers
    Sleeper has the best Dc binding of all the others. Planetary is tight but not too tight. House of Secrets is quite tight
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Spectacular Member Whenitmatters's Avatar

I received the 2 flash omnibi from the B/N sale. I thought they would at least put it in a box....no they put it in a bubble wrapped envelope then surrounded it with a thin piece of cardboard I'm surprised the books did not come damaged. At least Amazon halfway tries with their packaging.

Spectacular Member Whenitmatters's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Well, you like him at his worst so I guess you will love his earlier stuff then.
    i didn't mean i loved it, i just liked it for what it was , a quick intro to the league after the new 52 reboot.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    I was actually wkndering about the quality of basic hc's frlm the big 2. Marvels do seem pretty flimsy.

Can anyone else vouch for DC's standaed haedcover quality? I am dying to pick up Snyders Batman in this format, but don't want books fallkng apart in a decade or less.
    Marvel's are way too thin and contain less issues for More money compared to DC's. I can't wait years for DC to decide whether or not they're going to Omnibus Snyder's amazing Batman run. Of course there's gutter loss in most books, no matter what kind of binding you have, but it's never too bad.
    Last edited by TheTemp; 11-12-2014 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    Could be. It kind of fell apart towards the end, even before Moore stopped writing it so I don't know how much demand there is for it. I loved the first 12 issues or so but they lost me shortly after.
    I agree, but I figure it gets collected since they've done it with League, Promethea and then last year's Top 10.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Question for international posters re: B&N.

This is my first time ordering since I've moved overseas last year (until now I've just been shipping orders to my brother or parents in the States), I still haven't got an email that my B&N order has been processed nor a shipping notice. Should I expect one even though it's not being shipped/delivered to US?

Thanks.
    I just went thru my old emails from last year when I ordered from B&N during the Black Friday weekend. I live in Poland and I received a separate shipping notice email for each of the 3 books.

You should have got an initial email that your order was received. Go on the B&N site and check your order there also. Any doubts, send them an email.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheTemp View Post
    According to its Amazon listing, Grayson will be getting the hardcover treatment! Yes! That's good because DC's basic hardcovers are much better built, collected (for the most part), and priced compared to marvel's.
    The run of the mill New 52 standard hardcovers are cheaply made. The paper is super thin and the black hardcovers damage super easily. Marvel also uses thin paper but at least the Marvel NOW hardcovers without dust jackets aren't as easily damaged.

So Amazon.ca has absolute world's greatest super heroes for sale, but says it will ship in 1-3 months, which from what I understand is code for out of stock. Is there any point to ordering and waiting 3 months? The book is ten years old, I find it highly unlikely that they have any copies left, but they are selling it so...
    Last edited by canadianaidan64; 11-12-2014 at 05:03 PM.

Does anyone remember how were the Barnes and Noble coupons around black friday last year? -20%? -30%?

I am thinking of taking advantage of their buy 2 get one free, with Sandman omnibus vol.1, vol.2 and Annihilation omnibus. If I can combine that with a coupon, I could save a decent amount of money (I've never read Sandman yet, so it's a bit of gamble, but it's so famous I should be ok)

Quote Originally Posted by canadianaidan64 View Post
    So Amazon.ca has absolute world's greatest super heroes for sale, but says it will ship in 1-3 months, which from what I understand is code for out of stock. Is there any point to ordering and waiting 3 months? The book is ten years old, I find it highly unlikely that they have any copies left, but they are selling it so...
    if it's too good to be true . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Does anyone remember how were the Barnes and Noble coupons around black friday last year? -20%? -30%?

I am thinking of taking advantage of their buy 2 get one free, with Sandman omnibus vol.1, vol.2 and Annihilation omnibus. If I can combine that with a coupon, I could save a decent amount of money (I've never read Sandman yet, so it's a bit of gamble, but it's so famous I should be ok)
    I'm pretty sure it was 30% off and the coupon lasted for about 4 days. The Sandman series is awesome, I'm sure you'll like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post

The big one for Black Friday is 30% off, but they send out several that are 20 or 25% throughout the months of November and December.

Marvel's are way too thin and contain less issues for More money compared to DC's. I can't wait years for DC to decide whether or not they're going to Omnibus Snyder's amazing Batman run. Of course there's gutter loss in most books, no matter what kind of binding you have, but it's never too bad.
    Marvel is seriously jipping their customers with these collections. Original Sin was a big '**** you' as both a story and a collected edition and yet people still took it and walked away anyway, disgusting.
    DC may be a bit shabby when it comes to their binding but at least they still give us good content for our money. Happy we're getting the JSA and GL omnibuses one after another and even more happy that we'll be getting a Perez WW and Neal Adams Bat omnibus. I've been buying mostly Marvel books ever since I started collecting last December, and my main reason is because of the low-prints and their books constantly going OOP as a result of that, not so much because their books are 'Oh snap! Day 1 buy!" Now that I'm getting closer and closer to collecting everything I want from them that's available, I'll probably jump ship sometime soon. There's always going to be a book here and there that I'll buy if the page count/quality justifies it, but for the most part I won't be buying their books anymore just because they're 'worth looking into' like I used to.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    The run of the mill New 52 standard hardcovers are cheaply made. The paper is super thin and the black hardcovers damage super easily. Marvel also uses thin paper but at least the Marvel NOW hardcovers without dust jackets aren't as easily damaged.
    To be fair, I haven't ever had a problem with "paper thickness". Or at least not that it's noticeable enough to me. DC has thick enough paper that their normal sized Hardcovers are still thickish. Whereas you have Marvel's which are super thin, less content and over priced. It's the only reason I have no single marvel now trades or their "premium"/normal sized hardcovers. Not worth the money they ask for them compared to DC's New52 hardcovers. I do buy lots of marvel's OHC's and omni's though online mainly for the same reason that Thesanmich said, because of lower print runs and I would like to be able to actually own some of these things.

Incredible Member

To be fair, I haven't ever had a problem with "paper thickness". Or at least not that it's noticeable enough to me. DC has thick enough paper that their normal sized Hardcovers are still thickish. Whereas you have Marvel's which are super thin, less content and over priced. It's the only reason I have no single marvel now trades or their "premium"/normal sized hardcovers. Not worth the money they ask for them compared to DC's New52 hardcovers. I do buy lots of marvel's OHC's and omni's though online mainly for the same reason that Thesanmich said, because of lower print runs and I would like to be able to actually own some of these things.
    I've seen my fair share of wavy pages in standard New 52 hardcovers, so whether or not Marvel is thinner, the point is they're both cheaping out.

I think DC has a history of cheaping out far more often than Marvel. DC has been using newsprint-quality paper on certain trades deep into the 2000s. They still use it today on certain books. Book at the recent Knightfall editions. The paper quality is about that of a phone book. Not everything has to be glossy print. Especially when it doesn't serve the artwork well. But DC can do better on the matte paper selection. Marvel would have at least used a modern matte or glossy stock if they were putting out that Knightfall reprint, even if the paper was thin.