View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 652 of 1444 FirstFirst ... 1525526026426486496506516526536546556566627027521152 ... LastLast
Results 9,766 to 9,780 of 21657

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Oh man, that is a quandary.
    I sold my HCs in anticipation for the Absolutes, but they were not signed. I'd be on the fence, too.
    Yeah, like, I could probably get a little extra because they're signed to cover the upgrade cost, but money's not even the point. Chances of him coming back around to Baltimore or Philly aren't exactly high. Sigh....this is gonna require some deep thinking

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Yeah, like, I could probably get a little extra because they're signed to cover the upgrade cost, but money's not even the point. Chances of him coming back around to Baltimore or Philly aren't exactly high. Sigh....this is gonna require some deep thinking
    Keep one and sell the rest?

Quote Originally Posted by sakasko View Post
    Vol. 2 is approximately 50 pages shorter than Vol. 1, and it does look thinner on the shelf. The 731 pages, now that Superman's career has really taken off, will only get you about 16 months worth of stories, which is just about half the time span of Vol. 1. The logo on the spine is still the previous version.

The format of the page numbers has changed to match the other omnibuses produced since Vol. 1. That is to say, unlike Vol. 1, you won't be reminded on every page that you're reading "Superman: The Golden Age Omnibus" and the actual page number is significantly smaller. I appreciate the reduction of these distractions. The actual paper is similar enough to Vol. 1 that I don't notice much of a difference.

You can judge the cover art for yourself, but in my mind it will be a sad day when DC runs out of covers Cooke produced.

As far as the stories go, you can buy the book because you like how it looks on the shelf (no shame there) or you can try investing yourself in some 75-year-old pop culture. If you choose the latter, might I suggest adding a swingin' jazz soundtrack and getting yourself in the mood with some old newsreel footage and maybe even a clip from a scary Hitler speech on YouTube. It was a different world.

Attachment 37818

Attachment 37819

Attachment 37820
    Thanks for the review. As an Amazon buyer I'm always a bit behind. Mostly just making sure nothing went horribly wrong before my copy was sent out. I love golden age Superman stories and have read my archives 2-3 times each and the first omnibus. It's great to have them all together chronologically.

Also I agree on Darwin...gonna miss that guy for a long time

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Whatever quality, I just want DC to keep churning out these Batman, Superman, WW Golden Age Omnibi....until at least the 40s are finished off. Full 50s volumes might be unrealistic, but obviously, I'd want that too. 60s I don't care really, to be honest (I may change my mind when the full 50s volumes are out ).
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

So apparently DC cancelled the Waid Flash trade, the Brave and the Bold omnibus and the New 52 Flash omnibus today.

Waid has confirmed the cancellation of his trade, but the omnibusses appear to have been pushed back rather than cancelled, but with DC, that probably just means cancellation by proxy, as this is the third time that New 52 Flash omnibus has been postponed so I'm at the point where I just dont think it'll ever see the light of day.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    So apparently DC cancelled the Waid Flash trade, the Brave and the Bold omnibus and the New 52 Flash omnibus today.

Waid has confirmed the cancellation of his trade, but the omnibusses appear to have been pushed back rather than cancelled, but with DC, that probably just means cancellation by proxy, as this is the third time that New 52 Flash omnibus has been postponed so I'm at the point where I just dont think it'll ever see the light of day.
    I'm super pissed about the Waid trade, bit what the hell is up with the Flash Omni? Its the exact kind of this that would sell like hot cakes in the mainstream market. There is no way it won't make a huge profit. Are they just trying to cancel all of the amazon preorders or something?
    Cyclops was right

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

Wait what? They cancelled the N52 Flash book? That makes ZERO sense! That thing would sell like crazy! Maybe they're going to re-solcit with the entire N52 Flash run in a massive book? I really doubt it, but I can't make any sense out of this otherwise.

Man. I'm super pissed about this. I've been wanting to read this forever but it just keeps getting pushed back and it's such a no-brainer to publish. I guess I'll just get the trades now. **** it.

Can't say I'm surprised about Waid Flash. Whatever's going on with that is something petty behind the scenes.

Brave and the Bold was a bizarre omnibus choice for Batman. Cancelling it was probably the right move from a bottom line standpoint. It looked completely locked and ready to go, though, so they probably already did all the layout work and everything. I have to say its cancellation doesn't surprise me, but it does worry me. DC has been carpet bombing the market with these releases this year, releasing a lot of them in quick succession, probably more quickly than the market can support. And they haven't been making the most sensical choices with what to release. I'm worried they may interpret soft sales as lack of interest rather than the market saturation/non-maximized demand situation they've created. I mean, Silver Age Supergirl? Silver Age Suicide Squad? Golden Age Superman v2 released the week after SA JLA v2? Golden Age Superman v3 scheduled 6 months from now, with SA Teen Titans, GA Batman 2, SA Flash, BatB Batman, and Golden Age Wonder Woman scheduled in between?

I don't do this for a living or anything, but even I can tell you with absolute certainty that to maximize profits you need to space out the Superman volumes more, the Suicide Squad book and the Supergirl book are bad ideas that shouldn't have been done, BatB isn't the best Batman omnibus you could be putting out (not even in the top 20), and just in general you should only be releasing one of these premium collections of older material every two months. I mean seriously, in June and July alone you're releasing five of these. It's too many. Books like GA Superman and SA JLA will sell in the long run, but you definitely hurt your initial sales and now you're being reactionary because of a situation you created. Arrrrghhhhh.

I'm really, really worried about Silver Age Flash vol 2 now. Really, really worried. Although there's a small chance the N52 Flash got bumped again because SA Flash is scheduled for the same time and maybe they don't want to put out two Flash omnibuses at once. I really hope that's all this is. If SA Flash gets the axe I think the classic material omnibus reprint line is in trouble. Flash is supposed to get previously non-Archived material in it, too, so the axe would be an even stronger bad sign because presumably DC sunk money into art restoration for this book already.

If this is just DC pushing things back to space them out more, then that's wise and actually the correct decision, in my opinion. But why cancel and require re-solicit? Are they going to raise prices to $100 or $125? Also fine, just as long as they keep coming. The prices have been below what Marvel charges anyway so we know the market will support more.

DC have been pretty aggressive with reprints in general lately. Look how quickly they're cranking out those 90s Nightwing reprint books and the 00s Catwoman. They were doing the same with Robin but cancelled vol 3 just as we were getting to the good stuff with the introduction of Spoiler, also "to be re-solicited later." Aghhh. I hope they're sincere.

Okay, I wrote a novel.

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

I'm certain SA Teen Titans and GA Batman vol 2 are safe, though. They revised the TT solicit just recently to add more issues and the other is a Batman book, a REAL Batman book. And it comes out in two weeks. Golden Age Wonder Woman is probably also safe because of the movie coming out shortly and the politics of cancelling it, which wouldn't be pretty.

But I never would have thought they'd touch the N52 Flash book. That's just colossally dumb.

I wonder if the Wonder Woman will reprint the Archives or the Chronicles that had edited content. Your right I'm sure that it wont be cancelled. I'm thinking 2017 will see SA Superman volume 1 with at least the three Archives reprinted. The Legion of Superheroes should get it's first volume next year as well as long as the program stays around.

I'm still optimistic.

Oh not happy if the Brave and Bold omnibus has been cancelled... I posted earlier that I'd had an email off Amazon saying it had been put back till mid February, so hopefully it will be that and not a total cancellation.

Unsourced rumor is no SA Superman but that Superman and Batman will continue to get 2 volumes per year and Wonder Woman will get 1 per year getting to the silver age quickly since they want to restore these books before they cant find them. I choose to believe this to be true you can decide for yourselves
    Last edited by Tony; 07-13-2016 at 09:24 PM.

From Waid's Twitter feed,

Update from DC: miscommunication from Diamond. (WHAT? THAT NEVER HAPPENS!) Flash collection is delayed but, I'm told, still a go.

Quote Originally Posted by NeathBlue View Post
    From Waid's Twitter feed,

Update from DC: miscommunication from Diamond. (WHAT? THAT NEVER HAPPENS!) Flash collection is delayed but, I'm told, still a go.
    Goody. I'm looking forward to adding it to my shelf. Now what do i have to do to get young justice reprinted?
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    Okay, I wrote a novel.
    But well worth it. Great analysis.

Also, if they re-solicit now at a higher price point I could see that affecting sales negatively as well.

JLA Vol 1 & 2 Dust Jacket controversy and GL Vol.2 Omni binding have been talked to death but I would like to highlight that they got the Table of Contents wrong in Superman: Golden Age Vol.2 (see towards the end of the 4k video I put together). Interested to hear your thoughts on this.