View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 680 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 1805806306706766776786796806816826836846907307801180 ... LastLast
Results 10,186 to 10,200 of 21670

Default Recommend DC Omnibi collections?

I just received the Orion omnibus in the mail and I was very pleased with it. I had read that the omnibuses (omnibi?) were unwieldy and that it was hard to read one without laying it down on a table. I often have a sore back and neck from my job and I prefer to lay down on the couch and read . . . and so, I was pretty turned off by the idea.

But I saw the great reviews for the Orion omnibus and I also saw that these works were not available in TPB and so I ordered it. And man, do I love what I see. The oversized art and quality paper are awesome! I love it and plan to buy more.

But I have also read that there is a binding problem with some of the DC omnibuses. Can you guys recommend some DC omnibuses to buy that do not have the binding issue and would be wieldy enough to read laying down or perhaps, laying on your side, sitting in a recliner, etc.? I only read things that are pre-Flashpoint and prefer to read things that happens after Crises on Infinte Earths.

I was thinking about the Geoff Johns JSA. I know that it about 400 more pages than the Orion omnibus that I now have but I don't think it would be a problem. Again, I am shocked by how much I like the omnibus. I know what daddy is going to be getting for b-day and Christmas!

Thanks for any help

Mighty Member

Most of the terrible DC bindings are probably OOP at this point. They've been pretty consistent with their omni's released over the last couple of years, not quite up to marvel standards, but pretty decent overall. I'd say if it's in stock it is a safe bet purchase build wise. I also read my omni's on my side and don't really have an issue with them being unweildy (although doom patrol tested me lol)

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Master Destructo View Post
    That's probably true. BUT, I have a glimmer of hope, just because there is some small indication that the ice between Robinson and DC is thawing a bit. Back in 2013 he walked off Earth 2 and hasn't written for them since--and immediately afterward the paperback omnibus reprints were cancelled, apparently in retaliation (or something?) So I was happy when his JSA Golden Age Deluxe Edition showed up on Amazon (March 2017). Maybe they're patching things up?
    No, no, no, no, no. Robinson's Starman series was epic and had the perfect ending. There's no reason to revisit him or have another series starring him.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Batman: Brave & the Bold Bronze Age Omni vol.1

Is that due out next month(old date I had) or Jan '17(Amazon date)
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Spectacular Member Master Destructo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    No, no, no, no, no. Robinson's Starman series was epic and had the perfect ending. There's no reason to revisit him or have another series starring him.
    Just to clarify, the conversation we were having was about printing new oversize omnibus editions of Starman; no one was talking about a new series.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Batman: Brave & the Bold Bronze Age Omni vol.1

Is that due out next month(old date I had) or Jan '17(Amazon date)
    It got cancelled and resolicited, so the old date is...old.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DCJdog View Post
    I just received the Orion omnibus in the mail and I was very pleased with it. I had read that the omnibuses (omnibi?) were unwieldy and that it was hard to read one without laying it down on a table. I often have a sore back and neck from my job and I prefer to lay down on the couch and read . . . and so, I was pretty turned off by the idea.

But I saw the great reviews for the Orion omnibus and I also saw that these works were not available in TPB and so I ordered it. And man, do I love what I see. The oversized art and quality paper are awesome! I love it and plan to buy more.

But I have also read that there is a binding problem with some of the DC omnibuses. Can you guys recommend some DC omnibuses to buy that do not have the binding issue and would be wieldy enough to read laying down or perhaps, laying on your side, sitting in a recliner, etc.? I only read things that are pre-Flashpoint and prefer to read things that happens after Crises on Infinte Earths.

I was thinking about the Geoff Johns JSA. I know that it about 400 more pages than the Orion omnibus that I now have but I don't think it would be a problem. Again, I am shocked by how much I like the omnibus. I know what daddy is going to be getting for b-day and Christmas!

Thanks for any help
    Johns JSA is a great shout i'dd also recommend the Planetary and the Sleeper omnibus's they might not tie into the wider DC universe very well but they are absolutely fantastic standalone series.

Gotham Central is also a great stand alone read and fits within your criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    If DC did do larger more proper(as many of us see it) Omni's for Starman, I'd snatch them up. Those small volumes aren't really ideal. You could double up on those to get a tome I feel would be better and still not be too large.
    Probably 3 volumes or so would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    Manapul's The Flash is supposed to be coming in a few months... As was GJ's Aquaman, but I no longer see that one on Amazon.com.
    As I believe another mentioned, there's also been released a Court of Owls Absolute.

Additionally, there's the Unwrapped books (original pencils) for 1-12 of Justice League and Court of Owls. And, to get released in late Spring, same for Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    Johns JSA is a great shout i'dd also recommend the Planetary and the Sleeper omnibus's they might not tie into the wider DC universe very well but they are absolutely fantastic standalone series.

Gotham Central is also a great stand alone read and fits within your criteria.
    seconded! Sleeper, Gotham Central and Planetary are fantastic, and JSA is a great superhero series. Sleeper has one of the best DC bindings I think.
    Also recommended: IZombie (it has virtually nothing to do with the tv series and it's a terrific read), Sandman (it's a classic and the books are looking gorgeous)

Thoughts on Batman and The Outsiders Volume 1. Though it's solicited as a hardcover could that possibly mean an omnibus. The Suicide Squad Omnibus was originally solicited as a hardcover. It would be nice to see this title published as an overseized edition.

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DCJdog View Post

Thanks for any help
    The only omnibuses from the Post-Crisis, Pre-Flashpoint era with bad bindings are Hawkman and Brightest Day. Hawkman has a very very tight binding and Brightest Day tends to fall apart. The Geoff Johns Flash omnibus vol 1 also has a less than ideal binding (though is perfectly readable), but that one is out of print anyway.

The largest book is Teen Titans by Geoff Johns. Personally I'm not bothered by large books so I can't offer an opinion on whether it's too unwieldy. I devoured it comfortably and eagerly.

Buy the George Perez Wonder Woman omnibus next. You'll thank me.
    Last edited by The Flicker Fade; 08-26-2016 at 03:46 PM.

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlecHolland View Post
    Thoughts on Batman and The Outsiders Volume 1. Though it's solicited as a hardcover could that possibly mean an omnibus. The Suicide Squad Omnibus was originally solicited as a hardcover. It would be nice to see this title published as an overseized edition.
    I'm more inclined to think the solicitation as a hardcover is wrong and that it's a softcover. But the price of $40 doesn't match with what I'd expect from a softcover or an omnibus. We'll have to wait and see.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlecHolland View Post
    I'd be perfectly happy with a few fat trades to collect this series in its entirety. While I do love the early stuff, much of it isn't really worthy (if there is such a thing) of HC/deluxe treatment...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Spectacular Member Master Destructo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    I'm more inclined to think the solicitation as a hardcover is wrong and that it's a softcover. But the price of $40 doesn't match with what I'd expect from a softcover or an omnibus. We'll have to wait and see.
    There have been a few recent $40 Batman paperback collections like Batman Eternal and War Games. But the description lists like 14 issues and says it's 368 pages. That wouldn't be much book for $40. Then again, those descriptions are so often wrong this far out from publication. The price could be wrong as well--the Bronze Age Brave and the Bold Omni was originally listed as $75 before it changed to $125.

I'm with you though--I think it's probably a paperback. But I'd be pleasantly surprised if it turns out to be an omni and would order it.

I've got on it on my "buy" list. I am a fan of that period.

Funny story: I grew mostly on Marvel in the 80's but when my son started watching the original Teen Titans Go (not the present goofy one), I was hooked and so I went and bought all of the original Teen Titans Wolfman/Perez run. I actually look forward to reading something that Perez both draw and wrote. I love Wolfman but he's a bit . . . "wordy."