View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1377 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 37787712771327136713731374137513761377137813791380138113871427 ... LastLast
Results 20,641 to 20,655 of 21662

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I'd guess the Talon trade has the intention of capitalising on Tynion's name (which is why it's branded as Talon by Tynion). I wonder will that still be the case now that Tynion is no longer exclusive with DC and leaving all his work for hire stuff with them.
    Is his name that big now? I knew he's a higher profile writer than when he wrote Talon but I didn't think he was that big. Good for him though.

Incredible Member

Rod Keith over on MMW posted some pics of the long delayed but finally coming out "Batman: Brave & The Bold Bronze Age Omnibus 3"

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/marv....html#p1367519

Glad to see this one finally materialize!

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I'd guess the Talon trade has the intention of capitalising on Tynion's name (which is why it's branded as Talon by Tynion). I wonder will that still be the case now that Tynion is no longer exclusive with DC and leaving all his work for hire stuff with them.
    I would suspect so. Geoff Johns - and more recently, Scott Snyder - still sell very well in the collections department, even though they're not DC exclusive.

While I would say Tynion's star never rose quite as high as either of theirs during his DC tenure, he's still got a lot of hits under his belt at this point.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    With the 4th and final Byrne collection coming soon, I'd like to think someone at DC is formulating a plan for the next round of collections... but I also know not to get my hopes up.
    I really hope we get that gap closed. I'm reading through the Byrne hardcovers now -- my first time with these stories -- and loving them. I have the Exile and D&R omnis as well. I'd love to be able to do a massive read straight through.

Interesting that DC appears to be done with Geoff Johns' JSA and Green Lantern TPBs - stopping at volume 4 of each. The Vol 4s came out a year ago with no Vol 5 in sight.
    Waid's Flash is on Vol 8, but they just give up on the Johns' runs?
    Very disappointing.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    Interesting that DC appears to be done with Geoff Johns' JSA and Green Lantern TPBs - stopping at volume 4 of each. The Vol 4s came out a year ago with no Vol 5 in sight.
    Waid's Flash is on Vol 8, but they just give up on the Johns' runs?
    Very disappointing.
    People weren't buying them, as those interested already had the Omnis.

Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
    See thats what I dont get. Marvel releases Omnis all the time but then re-releases that material in Epic Collection TPB format. Unless Marvel just sells more books and has more interest overall(?) - Im not a numbers person. Im just not a fan of bulky 1500 page hardcovers.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
    But someone must have bought at least the first three TPB's. Otherwise there wouldn't have been a second, third and fourth one.

Quote Originally Posted by shaboo View Post
    But someone must have bought at least the first three TPB's. Otherwise there wouldn't have been a second, third and fourth one.
    Good point.
    DC has a habit of stranding TPB runs (Peter David's Aquaman, Shade the Changing Man, Books of Magic ongoing, + plenty of others im forgetting) - but you would think someone on the popularity level of Johns' and his best runs would not fall into that category.
    Currently Reading:

Quote Originally Posted by shaboo View Post
    Each one sells less than the previous one, which gets them to a low enough number to not do another.

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    Good point.
    DC has a habit of stranding TPB runs (Peter David's Aquaman, Shade the Changing Man, Books of Magic ongoing, + plenty of others im forgetting) - but you would think someone on the popularity level of Johns' and his best runs would not fall into that category.
    PADs Aquaman and Supergirl still hit me hard. As does Spectre...

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    PADs Aquaman and Supergirl still hit me hard. As does Spectre...
    Oh for sure - it sucks when a line is just abandoned. I also remembered Sandman Mystery Theater got dropped a couple volumes in.

Marvel seems to make right on this kinda stuff. Even for the most obscure stuff. For example Man-Thing by Steve Gerber has an omni out collecting the whole run - and had 2 TPB volumes out, needing a 3rd to complete it. It took Marvel 5 years since Vol 2 but they finally printed that 3rd TPB volume this year in 2021. Stuff like that is just amazing for the fanbase. I highly doubt Man-Thing is setting the sales charts on fire in any format - but they found a way to get it all out there. Youre telling me DC cant do the same for Geoff Johns' JSA and Green Lantern?

I wonder if DC could release this stuff at lower print runs - a bit higher cover price, something like that, people who followed the line for so long would buy it - rather than pissing off fans over and over.

Its not all doom and gloom for DC though - I will forever give DC credit for printing the entire Hellblazer run in TPB (just one more volume to go!). This thing has over a decade long release schedule - and they kept the spines the same and kept the Vertigo logo on there even after it changed to Black Label. Pretty impressive.
    Last edited by Destro777; 08-30-2021 at 07:55 AM.
    Currently Reading:

Oof, Absolute Swamp Thing by Alan Moore volume 3 was only 2 months away, but now it looks like it's gotten delayed all the way to March 2022.
    Last edited by slop101; 08-30-2021 at 11:12 PM.

Amazing Member

The spines on the Hellblazer have changed, my volume 3-5 all have DC Vertigo on them instead of just Vertigo.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charliemouse View Post
    The spines on the Hellblazer have changed, my volume 3-5 all have DC Vertigo on them instead of just Vertigo.
    Those are the newer printings.

And if I'm not mistaken, the solicit for Hellblazer vol. 26 has Black Label trade dress, which is going to drive me absolutely insane when I see them all lined up on my shelf.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES