View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Spectacular Member

I just saw this on Amazon:

Superman: The Man of Steel Vol. 1

Hardcover

Cover price of 49.99

480 pages

July 28 2020

Right now the preorder is 35.65 on amazon (USA)

It will be interesting to see if IST offers this for 50% off the week on release for 25... seems too good to be true as with Powers of X House of X HC they only did normal 42% off the week of release.

But they did Promethea for 50% the week of release... so I’m optimistic.

The real question is is will this be oversized? Hopefully it will be... we shall see.

July the 14th is shaping up to be an expensive week, you have JLA by Morrison, Conan the Barbarian 4, Promethea Deluxe 3, and then this.
    Last edited by Phd. Strange; 01-31-2020 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phd. Strange View Post
    I just saw this on Amazon:

Superman: The Man of Steel Vol. 1

Hardcover

Cover price of 49.99

Superman is reinvented from the ground up in this omnibus collection of stories that defined the Man of Steel for decades!

Following the events of Crisis on Infinite Earths, comic book superstar John Byrne reimagined Superman for a brand-new era--in bold tales collected here in omnibus format! Starting with the six-issue Man of Steel miniseries, Byrne fundamentally changed Superman's origins and propelled him into the present, including iconic encounters with Lex Luthor, Metallo, Darkseid--and The Joker!

Collects Action Comics #584-593, Action Comics Annual #1, Adventures of Superman #424-435, Adventures of Superman Annual #1, Legion of Super-Heroes #37-38, Superman #1-11, Superman Annual #1, The Man of Steel #1-6.

480 pages

July 28 2020

Right now the preorder is 35.65 on amazon (USA)

It will be interesting to see if IST offers this for 50% off the week on release for 25... seems too good to be true as with Powers of X House of X HC they only did normal 42% off the week of release.

But they did Promethea for 50% the week of release... so I’m optimistic.

The real question is is will this be oversized? Hopefully it will be... we shall see.

July the 14th is shaping up to be an expensive week, you have JLA by Morrison, Conan the Barbarian 4, Promethea Deluxe 3, and then this.

So I guess these omnibus might end up like the Starman Omnibus that weren’t really omnis. Very reasonably priced if they end up being oversized... and it probably will be for the better being in smaller books given how many problems DC has with bigger books.
    If a book doesn't have the word omnibus or deluxe edition, and it's not some kind of special HC like Wednesday Comics or something, it's not oversized. This goes for the new Superman Man of Steel HC, but it's helpful info for you for future reference as well.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
    If a book doesn't have the word omnibus or deluxe edition, and it's not some kind of special HC like Wednesday Comics or something, it's not oversized. This goes for the new Superman Man of Steel HC, but it's helpful info for you for future reference as well.
    Superman is reinvented from the ground up in this omnibus collection of stories that defined the Man of Steel for decades!

It says that in the description of it. So I dunno. I still think there is a chance it could be oversized but maybe that is just wishful thinking. Seems ambiguous to me and also it could be changed yet again.

Spectacular Member

It says that in the description of it. So I dunno. I still think there is a chance it could be oversized but maybe that is just wishful thinking. Seems ambiguous to me and also it could be changed yet again.
    The only correct thing here is the page count. The rest was simply taken from the description of the originally planned Omnibus and is completely wrong!

This is NOT an "omnibus collection", these bold tales are NOT "collected here in omnibus format" and it will of course NOT include all the issues "Action Comics #584-593, Action Comics Annual #1, Adventures of Superman #424-435, Adventures of Superman Annual #1, Legion of Super-Heroes #37-38, Superman #1-11, Superman Annual #1, The Man of Steel #1-6".

And it won't be oversized.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by shaboo View Post
    The only correct thing here is the page count. The rest was simply taken from the description of the originally planned Omnibus and is completely wrong!

This is NOT an "omnibus collection", these bold tales are NOT "collected here in omnibus format" and it will of course NOT include all the issues "Action Comics #584-593, Action Comics Annual #1, Adventures of Superman #424-435, Adventures of Superman Annual #1, Legion of Super-Heroes #37-38, Superman #1-11, Superman Annual #1, The Man of Steel #1-6".

And it won't be oversized.
    Yeah you are correct that description must be old. But somehow it might still end up being oversized. I just don’t see how the people in DC’s collected edition department can continue to respect themselves without oversizing this hardcover.

Yeah you are correct that description must be old. But somehow it might still end up being oversized. I just don’t see how the people in DC’s collected edition department can continue to respect themselves without oversizing this hardcover.
    I don't think DC's collected editions department are going to lose that much sleep over this being a standard sized hardcover instead of deluxe.

You're right that this might end up being a deluxe sized book, and with DC, we can't be completely certain until the book is actually in someone's hands. But that's not been DC's modus operandi to date with this type of material, and there's nothing to suggest it's going to be different for Byrne's Superman.

Yeah I'd actually buy it if it was a Deluxe Edition, but sounds like it's going to be just standard size so I'll pass. An omni will get my money.

But I'll still be getting JLA and Promethea that week, might as well add "DC" onto my paychecks.

Question... did they end up fixing all the mistakes in Justice League International vol. 1 Omni in a new printing?
    (and did they actually fix everything, or just some things?)
    And if I were to buy it now (say, from IST), will I get the corrected version?

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Hank View Post
    Yeah I'd actually buy it if it was a Deluxe Edition, but sounds like it's going to be just standard size so I'll pass. An omni will get my money.

But I'll still be getting JLA and Promethea that week, might as well add "DC" onto my paychecks.
    DC managed to publish the entire Fables run in the Deluxe format. They could try that with Byrne's Superman.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Hank View Post

Yeah I will buy it... but only if it ends up deluxe. I bought both of the Green Lantern by Morrison hardcovers and when I got them I realized how small non deluxe books really are. Especially with that detailed art.

I didn’t realize how spoiled I had become reading all my marvel OHC and omnibus but it felt like I was reading a mini-comic out of a cereal box.

Would DC really make the Man of Steel HC into a teeny tiny comic for like an ant to read ?

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus7 View Post
    DC managed to publish the entire Fables run in the Deluxe format. They could try that with Byrne's Superman.
    As someone who really enjoyed the first 3 Deluxe Hardcovers of Fables, I really want them to do a simple reprint of volumes 4 and 7. PLEASE! I want to GIVE THEM MY MONEY to buy the entire series, but keeping volumes 4 and 7 for some reason so limited, it makes me want to tear my hair out. Also ya, seriously DC give us a Byrne Supes omni, give us a whole run of Deluxe Editions, why why why not? Please realize that pre-orders aren't the best metric. Folks, like me, are concerned with build quality of DC books. Personally, my Absolute Swamp Thing was a big iffy on the binding. I'll DEFINITELY buy a volume 2, but I'm going to wait to see if there are more problems with binding, and buy from IST or CGN, after the reviews come in. Deliver a quality product (aka not the glue mess that was Snyder/Capullo Batman, arguably the most anticipated omnibus from DC in 2019). Deliver a consistent, quality product and folks will feel compelled to pre-order.

Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
    Question... did they end up fixing all the mistakes in Justice League International vol. 1 Omni in a new printing?
    (and did they actually fix everything, or just some things?)
    And if I were to buy it now (say, from IST), will I get the corrected version?
    They certainly fixed the missing speech text, I can't remember if there was any out of order pages though. I emailed the retailer before ordering to make sure I got the second printing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    I can't remember if there was any out of order pages though..
    Pages 638 & 639 were swapped.
    There were at least 2 missing text bubbles, if not more.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
    Pages 638 & 639 were swapped.
    There were at least 2 missing text bubbles, if not more.
    There were exactly two missing bubbles and two swapped pages.

These errors have been corrected in the second printing, but the general printing quality has remained completely unchanged and is still lousy.

Hopefully the second Omnibus will be a vast improvement!

I just cant trust DC anymore with these collections.
    Its insane that Alan Moore's Promethea is getting 3 oversized hardcovers to complete the series - but Grant Morrison's Animal Man is apparently canceled after 1, when two volumes would complete the run. Promethea vol 1 came out the same month as Animal Man Vol 1 too.

DC should have collected the full run of Denny Oneil's The Question in omnibus by now but apparently they hate money. Marvel is collecting Peter David's full Hulk run but DC cancelled his Aquaman TP collections. Who knows if Geoff John's JSA run will continue in tradepaperback format - no new news of anything past 3 yet. Its a total crapshoot.

In comparison, obscure stuff like Moonknight and Cloak&Dagger are hitting omni and they are even revisiting the Gerber Man-thing collections at vol 3 over at marvel - this is after the man-thing collections went on hiatus for awhile. But hey, DC will drop another Watchmen or Killing Joke collection on you, like we dont have enough of those...

Fire all of these fools in charge of DC collections already. The market is there - people will buy this stuff. Its just run by buffoons.
    Last edited by Destro777; 02-06-2020 at 02:12 AM.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm