View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Incredible Member

Thoughts on the recent Shazam tpb by Johns/Eaglesham?

I have no preconceived notions of how Shazam should be portrayed. My exposure has been Kingdom Come, Morrison JLA, Smith's Society of Evil, and the Johns/Frank origin.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by shaboo View Post
    These paperbacks are strictly Detective Comics and its annuals only, so that's no surprise.
    True but seeing how it serves as a prelude and even the cover says "The story continues in Detective Comics #604" you would think they would have decided to include it

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieMad View Post
    Thanks for the tip, I've just ordered the single issue.
    No problem at all!

Spectacular Member Lake Nowhere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post

I have no preconceived notions of how Shazam should be portrayed. My exposure has been Kingdom Come, Morrison JLA, Smith's Society of Evil, and the Johns/Frank origin.
    I thought it was a fun story with some really great art. I wish they would have waited and included it in the recent Deluxe edition.

I think Johns’ Shazam was the first time I’ve ever read his solo title — with the exception of an issue or two as part of a crossover (Starman and Ordway’s Power of Shazam, 20+ years ago). So, coming from a casual fan without an extensive history with the character, I though it was...okay. I wasn’t bored or anything. I may have been negatively influenced with the delays, and perhaps it reads a lot better in a collected edition.

Without spoiling it, I thought one of the villains at the end was crazy random and it also sort of soured me on it a bit. Going from Eaglesham to Kolins art-wise is also jarring, imo.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post

I enjoyed it enough. If you're a fan of the movie, it's very much in that vein, but with a bigger budget (as it were).

I'm sure it reads better in trade, minus the delays and fill-ins that the monthly series had.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member

Thanks for the input folks

If anyone missed it, seems like CGN has Batman by Paul Dini Omnibus available for special-order. Only other place I've seen it in-stock is amazon, for full retail.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    My Unwritten deluxe edition promises it's the first of 6 "definitive hardcover volumes".
    It’s a great series. Shame. I’ve got the small trades.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    It’s a great series. Shame. I’ve got the small trades.
    It really is. Maybe DC will follow up the completion of the Lucifer omnis with some Unwritten omnis. It could also be a contender for the new Compendium format.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    It really is. Maybe DC will follow up the completion of the Lucifer omnis with some Unwritten omnis. It could also be a contender for the new Compendium format.
    I prefer them in omnis.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Anybody read the books included in the new Injustice Omnibus Volume 2. I like the first one quite a bit.

Just a random question: I have a few DC TPBs I want to sell. They're pretty much all N52 magic books but there are some others seeded in as well. What would be the best place for them? Mostly looking to get rid of them than to turn a profit. Am I just looking at Ebay? Thanks

Incredible Member

Hey folks, any rumblings on the interwebs for the following?

King Batman deluxe v6
    Snyder Batman omni v2
    DMZ compendium v2

For that last one, I see Fables compendium v3 on Amazon but nothing for DMZ, so maybe it didn't sell enough...?
    Also Amazon is showing a Starman comp for September, so that's good!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    Just a random question: I have a few DC TPBs I want to sell. They're pretty much all N52 magic books but there are some others seeded in as well. What would be the best place for them? Mostly looking to get rid of them than to turn a profit. Am I just looking at Ebay? Thanks
    There's a trading thread on this forum. There is also a comic swap subreddit on reddit. There are probably private facebook groups for trading/buying/selling. Other than that, your best bet is to unload them on ebay. Any book resellers are only going to offer you pennies on the dollar. It may be hard with covid, but you could try to do a trade in at a used book store, but again, you won't be looking at much of a trade in value. Or you could donate them to a local library (who will probably just turn around and sell them because that's how library donations work). Children's hospitals might take them as donations but I imagine they aren't taking used goods now during covid.