View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 767 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 2676677177577637647657667677687697707717778178671267 ... LastLast
Results 11,491 to 11,505 of 21662

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Who's picking up Superman Golden Age Omnibus 3 today? I'm on the fence. I have the first 2, not sure where I want to draw the line

Definitely picking up The Unwritten Deluxe though
    I'm in for all the Superman Omnibus. I love the character and I know that the restoration is really expensive for these GA books. I want to get it all done so having some nice books on a shelf is a pretty easy way to support that effort. As they hit the late 40's and 50's these will be almost all new for me so it will be interesting from a historical point.

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Really? I've heard good things. Not great, but solid so far.

Haven't read any myself though.
    Check out the Batman threads. King is very, very divided. I personally think his writing is cheap, reads like bad middle school "poetry." He's also got Batman doing super impossible things - like riding a 747 like it's a bronco and bringing it down into the ocean. That's my opinion. Others disagree.

On a side note, I (blind) ordered the Unwritten Deluxe just now from IST. It was out of stock at CGN.
    It's written by Mike Carey. I really liked his Hellblazer and Lucifer (not his Ultimate Fantastic Four, tho), so I expect good things.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I'm in for all the Superman Omnibus. I love the character and I know that the restoration is really expensive for these GA books. I want to get it all done so having some nice books on a shelf is a pretty easy way to support that effort. As they hit the late 40's and 50's these will be almost all new for me so it will be interesting from a historical point.
    I ended up passing on it for now. I love the character too. I have the first two Golden Age omnibus books. Maybe I'll change my mind later

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Check out the Batman threads. King is very, very divided. I personally think his writing is cheap, reads like bad middle school "poetry." He's also got Batman doing super impossible things - like riding a 747 like it's a bronco and bringing it down into the ocean. That's my opinion. Others disagree.

On a side note, I (blind) ordered the Unwritten Deluxe just now from IST. It was out of stock at CGN.
    It's written by Mike Carey. I really liked his Hellblazer and Lucifer (not his Ultimate Fantastic Four, tho), so I expect good things.
    Interesting. I'll have to look into it.

Also bought the Unwritten. You reminded me I need to buy the Lucifer books that have come out recently...

I have given Kings Batman run 2 shots (skipped the monster Men crossover)

I'm not the worlds biggest Batman fan so I may not be a good judge, but I do love many of his stories. Matt Wagners 2 mini's, Batman Brave and Bold, Batman TAS, Year 1, 70's and 80's Batman. Maybe the problem for me is the character has moved away from what I like. Having said that I honestly don't get the hype for King as a writer.

I wanted to like the book. If he is the next great comic book writer (and I have not read his other work yet) He needs to get away from Batman because his run didn't work for me at all.
    Last edited by Tony; 12-13-2016 at 01:49 PM.

I agree with everything you said. I love reading these and Batman GA. It's fun to have a night once a week, grab my Omni's and get comfy, and read a story or two out of each. Something I've done since I started buying them.

And I might just go ahead and pick it and another trade or two to get over $50 on IST sometime this weekend. Plus my 2% off.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

Omega Men is great. Vision is great. Sheriff of Babylon is great. His issues of Grayson are great. His Green Lantern Darkseid War one-shot was great. If Tom King is underperforming on Batman, I'm really surprised and really disappointed to hear it. Maybe he's just not a good match for the character, or maybe he needs a little more time to find his Bat-voice (it seems like he was rushed into the spot with little preparation), or maybe twice monthly is too much. I wouldn't give up on him yet.

I have given Kings Batman run 2 shots (skipped the monster Men crossover)

I'm not the worlds biggest Batman fan so I may not be a good judge, but I do love many of his stories. Matt Wagners 2 mini's, Batman Brave and Bold, Batman TAS, Year 1, 70's and 80's Batman. Maybe the problem for me is the character has moved away from what I like. Having said that I honestly don't get the hype for King as a writer.

I wanted to like the book. If he is the next great comic book writer (and I have not read his other work yet) He needs to get away from Batman because his run didn't work for me at all.
    King is an incredible writer. But he just DOES NOT WORK on Batman. He has shined so well on "lesser" character (Vision, Kyle Rayner). I don't know what it is about Batman, but King and Batman just don't go well together. It was the biggest surprise of all of Rebirth to me, as I know how strong a writer he is.

Quote Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
    King is an incredible writer. But he just DOES NOT WORK on Batman. He has shined so well on "lesser" character (Vision, Kyle Rayner). I don't know what it is about Batman, but King and Batman just don't go well together. It was the biggest surprise of all of Rebirth to me, as I know how strong a writer he is.
    First I'm hearing about King being shoty. I had no interest in the new Batman either way.

Man, I have been holding out for an 'Absolute Multiversity' but I think I may have to cave a get the deluxe

Incredible Member

I'm confused about all the negativity towards Kings Batman, yes its different compared to what came before but every major writer will write a different Batman thats just how a charecter like Batman manages to survive for 75 years in constant publication, Kings Batman isn't as bombastic as Snyders or invulnerable as Morrisons, hes a older (in spirit) more reserved Batman, someone whose come to the conclusion that his war against crime is a war that he can't win, a war he's going to end up dieing in but a war he has to keep fighting, hes resigned to his fate and now is doing everything to save those around him from the same fate, its a much tighter charecter focused Batman series than what we've had recently, and its great. If you want your standard Cape and Cowel antics pick up Detective, Tynion is doing a great job of that over there, if you like comics to say a little bit more then I would encourage you to pick up the first Batman trade when it comes out in January.

A bit off topic, but I just saw this

>The Kamandi Challenge Special #1 (NOV160346), reprinting Kamandi #32 from 1975 now features two never-before-published stories originally intended to be published as Kamandi #60 & #61 (in 1978) written by Jack C. Harris with art by Dick Ayers and Danny Bulanadi. This title has been increased to 96 pages and price has been increased to $7.99.

I wonder how this will be collected...

Quote Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
    I'm in this boat. I've loved everything else of his that I've read. I think Vision is phenomenal. I've been nothing but disappointed with Batman so far. I'm still trying to stick with it for now, desperately hoping something suddenly clicks, but I'm losing my patience. Don't even get me started with what he's done to Catwoman, completely ruined in my opinion.

On a slightly different note, I loved Snyder's Batman through Endgame, tolerated but didn't care for the Gordon robocop Batman, but All-Star Batman has been just as terrible as King's Batman.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Yeah, I've liked most of what I read from him, but the couple issues of Batman I read were bad. And the retcons to Batman and Catwoman's backstories are over-edgy garbage.
    Cyclops was right

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2Staples View Post
    I'm in this boat. I've loved everything else of his that I've read. I think Vision is phenomenal. I've been nothing but disappointed with Batman so far. I'm still trying to stick with it for now, desperately hoping something suddenly clicks, but I'm losing my patience. Don't even get me started with what he's done to Catwoman, completely ruined in my opinion.

On a slightly different note, I loved Snyder's Batman through Endgame, tolerated but didn't care for the Gordon robocop Batman, but All-Star Batman has been just as terrible as King's Batman.
    Agreed. I waited for 11 issues, before I finally cut my losses. I even quite liked the kick-off in the first couple of issues, but it just went nowhere and King's writing felt very... stilted and kind of pretentious. I have had some reservations about this aspect of his writing before, but it was Batman where it really became clear: He's really really good. But he also has to be very careful about not becoming "the guy who writes likes Tom King".

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    A bit off topic, but I just saw this

>The Kamandi Challenge Special #1 (NOV160346), reprinting Kamandi #32 from 1975 now features two never-before-published stories originally intended to be published as Kamandi #60 & #61 (in 1978) written by Jack C. Harris with art by Dick Ayers and Danny Bulanadi. This title has been increased to 96 pages and price has been increased to $7.99.

I wonder how this will be collected...
    If the solicited Jack Kirby Kamandi Omnibus gets good enough sales, I can see DC publishing an Omnibus collecting all the Kamandi issues after Jack Kirby
    "There are people. There are stories. The people think they shape the stories, but the reverse is often closer to the truth"