View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1008 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 8508908958998100410051006100710081009101010111012101810581108 ... LastLast
Results 15,106 to 15,120 of 21670

OK, with all due respect to those talking about what they want in the Morrison Batman omnibus and how it should be collected, let's talk about the reality.

We'll probably get the Batman run, Batman and Robin, Return of Bruce Wayne and Batman Inc.

Is that what I'd like? No, but that's probably the reality of the situation. DC doesn't have a collections department and editor like Marvel does (and even they're not perfect) and I can't think of one time when DC has collected something as complicated as the Morrison Batman run.

Even IC (which I suspect DC would consider an ambitious collection) was pretty simple in that it was mostly tied in mini-series. With Batman, we're talking pages here and there and certain issues of of mini-series and synopsis pages, etc.

Sorry, I just don't see it happening.
    Last edited by TomSlick; 12-06-2017 at 06:09 PM.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    Largely agree, but just a couple comments:
    I wasn't necessarily advocating for not including all of FC (New Edition), but I think a Batman by Morrison trade is not likely to include Superman Beyond. Just seems off. Likewise w/putting The Missing Chapters in V1 - it's an option, but not necessarily a great one (I'd prefer FC and all of Resurrection, but that seems unwieldy to me).

I am not in an authoritative position to argue with Chris Burnham, but I think I disagree with one piece of his V2 ordering - in an omnibus format, I'd rather see Batman 701-702 precede RoBW1. I know it ruins some of the mystery of RoBW 2, but it'd be nice to have the omnibus follow the chronology of Bruce, as he experiences it.
    I haven't read Superman Beyond in a long while, but I'd be fine with it being cut or summarized (preferably using some panels) if that were feasible enough and a summary would likely be feasible at the least if it does have stuff necessary to future FC issues (like key Mandrakk introduction/moments).

On 701-702, I don't have any hard and fast rules, but I lean more to capturing or being more (degreewise) nearer to the (new/prior) reader experience (i.e. original publication order experience) more. Moving 701-702 to before RoBW just doesn't work for me.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-06-2017 at 06:37 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    DC doesn't have a collections department and editor like Marvel does
    This is absolutely not true. It has a separate dept and group editor. But I'm not saying anymore on that (if this is not known publicly).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-06-2017 at 06:34 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    This is absolutely not true. It has a separate dept and group editor. But I'm not saying anymore on that.
    Ah my bad. You’re right. I guess I was thinking of someone more public and competent like the fella over at Marvel. Anyway, it’s not that I don’t like your mapping of the Morrison collections, I just don’t think DC cares enough to do it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    OK, with all due respect to those talking about what they want in the Morrison Batman omnibus and how it should be collected, let's talk about the reality.

We'll probably get the Batman run, Batman and Robin, Return of Bruce Wayne and Batman Inc.

Is that what I'd like? No, but that's probably the reality of the situation. DC doesn't have a collections department and editor like Marvel does (and even they're not perfect) and I can't think of one time when DC has collected something as complicated as the Morrison Batman run.

Even IC (which I suspect DC would consider an ambitious collection) was pretty simple in that it was mostly tied in mini-series. With Batman, we're talking pages here and there and certain issues of of mini-series and synopsis pages, etc.

Sorry, I just don't see it happening.
    And to piggyback off your point, does it really f'ing matter? That's the thing with some of these collections. There is no "perfect". We cant even get a consensus on this board. No matter how it's done someone will complain, just like with the rebirth deluxes. So i for one am just gonna sit back and enjoy the fact we are finally getting one of the most requested omnis.
    Last edited by awayne83; 12-06-2017 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    And to piggyback off your point, does it really f'ing matter? That's the thing with some of these collections. There is no "perfect". We cant even get a consensus on this board. No matter how it's done someone will complain, just like with the rebirth deluxes. So i for one am just gonna sit back and enjoy the fact we are finally getting one of the most requested omnis.
    There's a difference between a discussion and complaining. Either way, I just want to see discussion of other collected editions.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    There is a forward
    Cheers! I'll def grab the book this week

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    There's a difference between a discussion and complaining. Either way, I just want to see discussion of other collected editions.
    well prepare yourself cause this topic won't die down for a while, this discussion was already ongoing when I've joined the old board like 5 years ago and probably even before that.
    As much as I LOVE Morrison I'm kinda irritated that he made his Bat run such a complicated mess to read. It is very rewarding but when a newbie asks me what Batbook or Morrison book should they read I just say Arkham (or just read something else) cause I don't want to scare them off with the reading order and Final crisis, which is essential but you either love it or hate it and for a new reader it's extremely confusing.
    Also the Return of Bruce Wayne is basically a sequel and doesn't make much sense if you don't know what happens in FC.
    But I agree with TimSlick, DC will probably just do all the Morrison written Bat stories from Batman and Son onwards, maybe if we are lucky they will alternate between the B&R and RoBW issues and call it a day. Put a one page synopsis where FC should come it and point out that there are like 5 different collected editions available if you want to read that story (also I just don't see them putting 400 pages of FC and Superman beyond, cause Superman beyond IS essential to FC, into a Batman book).
    Just for an example, looking at the Johns Teen Titans omni, that thing is like 1300 pages and they've included a 5 issue Beastboy mini that didn't add anything to the overall story (and it was quite crap IMHO) but only put in the last issue of IC where Superboy dies, which was an okay move and they might do that with the relevant issue off FC too but on the other hand the TT omni had a long set up for the return of Donna Troy but then that happened off screen and she wasn't even a member of the team after that.
    Man I hated that TT omni it was such a mess outside of a couple of good stories.

Spectacular Member

Thank you for your takes on the "Button" problem and the Deluxe Editions. I guess it is time to pull the trigger and get the OHC. I really have to say that I did not enjoy neither the first volume of Batman nor TEC.

I am a huge fan of Finch on Batman books but the story elements just did not strike a cord with me. PLUS let us not forget about the abysmal crossover event ... TEC well I think it was a great idea to give Batwoman more space but to reuse story elements from War Games and to have a major change in status quo which is in my opinion very poorly executed PLUS the overal setting (hidden powers behind hidden schemes behind ... you get the idea) nah just not my cup of tea I guess.

A part of me really wanted to say: it is wild, man! but the Batman Robin Omnibus just was the perfect counter point. Maybe the best New 52 series. That all being said: how did you like the Button? And how are the broader opinions on the Rebirth Bat titles?

Consolation Prize: I doubt I will succeed in persuading DC to include all of the Final Crisis (New Edition) TPB contents in these Morrison Batman Omnibus volumes, but the next best thing is summary pages for Final Crisis and including the actual pages by JG Jones where Batman confronts Darkseid (and maybe other pages). PLEASE do not try to move Batman 701-702 to right after Batman RIP, they really don't fit there well (like some think), they spoil future events, etc.
    Not that this is any sort of useful guide to future decisions, but there is a precedent for DC including excerpts of events into an omnibus. The Geoff Johns Teen Titans Omnibus included the Superboy elements of Infinite Crisis # 5 and 6. They pretty much had to because of the effect his death in IC had on the series. DC could do similar here.

This is absolutely not true. It has a separate dept and group editor. But I'm not saying anymore on that (if this is not known publicly).
    The editor's name is included in the credits page of every trade and hardcover that DC issues, so I think it's okay to discuss it. They're just not publicly active.

So I am reading through the Grayson Omnibus and am somewhat confused they did not include Nightwing # 30. Seems like a complete oversight not to include it.

Quote Originally Posted by pjerooo View Post
    Cheers! I'll def grab the book this week
    I was in a rush. Sorry, there are some art extras at the end too irrc.

Fantastic Member

i think i've seen a haul with the new edition of The World's Greatest Superheroes here or in the Latest orders thread. could smb tell me if it's an exact reprint? i can't for the life of me find any photos or videos, only those of that old pseudo-absolute

Fantastic Member

Did anyone get Fourth World Omnibus? What about the content and quality?
    Last edited by madmodpoetgod; 12-08-2017 at 10:13 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by madmodpoetgod View Post
    Did anyone get Fourth World Omnibus? What about the content and quality?
    Here's a good video showing off the book. It truly is a massive tome.

Also, Gabe from the video works at a comic shop and apparently has heard of an upcoming Death of the Family Absolute and American Vampire Omnibus, from Snyder himself. Nothing official yet but be on the lookout.
    Last edited by fillmont; 12-08-2017 at 10:49 AM.