View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1417 of 1444 FirstFirst ... 4179171317136714071413141414151416141714181419142014211427 ... LastLast
Results 21,241 to 21,255 of 21656

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWayne View Post
    On the topic of Legion of Super-Heroes, my favorite version is the Zero Hour reboot and I’m still so disappointed that DC stopped collecting it after two volumes.
    It's my favorite era too, and I feel the same way about DC not collecting the rest of it. Even the DnA period, they also only went a couple of trades before stopping the collections. Legion Lost is awsome enough, though.

I tried 5 Years Later and couldn’t get into it. The Watchmen-esque nine-panel grids on just about every page was a major turn off.
    The second omni more or less breaks that mold. Of course, it's a hefty price to pay just to see if now you like something that you didn't like before.

The Great Darkness Saga is ok but lacked impact since I already knew who the Big Bad was.
    Yes, I agree it diminishes quite a bit the impact of the storyline. I was reading the Legion at that time, and was totally entranced by the monthly build up. Amazing how many great stories probably would be ruined by these times of internet hype.

Peace

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    I was thinking of giving Waid's 2004-ish Legion reboot's first 13 issues or so a try as well. Any opinions there?
    That whole volume is what sunk the franchise, imho. First, they let Waid have carte blanche - which I'm fine with in concept, because Waid is usually awesome - but this was a case of "if it ain't broke..", and Waid treated the franchise as if it were broke. That said, the early issues aren't horrible; they're decent comics but they had no reason to exist. They really read like a vanity project. Fast forward to #16 (18?) and Supergirl is thrown in as the star of the show. We got some good art, but again, the stories left me thinking "ok... but why?". The less said about the final 3rd of the volume (Shooter's return) the better.

I digress. To answer your question, give the first trade or two a shot (they're both available for cheap) they're the best of that particular volume. You get good art from Kitson, and some fun ideas that don't really go anywhere.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I would agree with that. I think the first two volumes are actually pretty decent, but I did have a hard time separating the book with the decision to reboot the entire franchise. I didn’t understand why Waid and Kitson couldn’t have just taken over The Legion (I think that was the title cancelled to make room for the Threeboot? It’s been a minute) or, if DC was just looking for a sales boost, relaunch their run with a new #1.

But I’d recommend checking out the first two trades, maybe even the first three, however many they put out before Supergirl joins. It definitely became a different book after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    I would agree with that. I think the first two volumes are actually pretty decent, but I did have a hard time separating the book with the decision to reboot the entire franchise. I didn’t understand why Waid and Kitson couldn’t have just taken over The Legion (I think that was the title cancelled to make room for the Threeboot? It’s been a minute) or, if DC was just looking for a sales boost, relaunch their run with a new #1.

But I’d recommend checking out the first two trades, maybe even the first three, however many they put out before Supergirl joins. It definitely became a different book after that.
    Exactly. I've always said this. The Threeboot was a bad and unnecessary editorial or creatiive decision (not sure which it was). There was nothing that could've prevented Waid from telling the story he wanted with the Zero-Hour Reboot/DnA Legion, with only some minor tweaking, and the new reboot only served to really further weaken the franchise as a whole.

Peace

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Exactly. I've always said this. The Threeboot was a bad and unnecessary editorial or creatiive decision (not sure which it was). There was nothing that could've prevented Waid from telling the story he wanted with the Zero-Hour Reboot/DnA Legion, with only some minor tweaking, and the new reboot only served to really further weaken the franchise as a whole.

Peace
    I'm pretty sure the Threeboot was a mandate from editorial and not something Waid wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    That whole volume is what sunk the franchise, imho. First, they let Waid have carte blanche - which I'm fine with in concept, because Waid is usually awesome - but this was a case of "if it ain't broke..", and Waid treated the franchise as if it were broke. That said, the early issues aren't horrible; they're decent comics but they had no reason to exist. They really read like a vanity project. Fast forward to #16 (18?) and Supergirl is thrown in as the star of the show. We got some good art, but again, the stories left me thinking "ok... but why?". The less said about the final 3rd of the volume (Shooter's return) the better.

I digress. To answer your question, give the first trade or two a shot (they're both available for cheap) they're the best of that particular volume. You get good art from Kitson, and some fun ideas that don't really go anywhere.
    Thanks for your input (and others in this thread as well). Just briefly, and recently, researching about the Legion, it seems Waid's Threeboot was basically ordered by DC to try to get away from the ultra detailed and near impenetrable Legion mythos for new readers. But looking back after all these years - that grand history is the main element that makes the Legion so great.

Basically for me just discovering this stuff in 2022 - its a crime the Legion is barely collected by DC. Ill never be able to read it outside of digging for the backissues.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

BANNED

As someone who had never read LSH before, the threeboot was a great place to start. Newbies like me were the target audience and we liked it. I’m not interested in the pre-Crisis LSH, and I doubt most readers are interested in starting with 1950s comic books. Plus, Clark Kent as Superboy is stupid and lame as hell (which is why I don’t like his post-Infinite Crisis history and status quo). Just my two cents.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWayne View Post
    As someone who had never read LSH before, the threeboot was a great place to start. Newbies like me were the target audience and we liked it. I’m not interested in the pre-Crisis LSH, and I doubt most readers are interested in starting with 1950s comic books. Plus, Clark Kent as Superboy is stupid and lame as hell (which is why I don’t like his post-Infinite Crisis history and status quo). Just my two cents.
    Count me in as one of the few who think the Legion franchise is strong enough to stand on it's own, without being chained to the Superman mythos.

#teamValor
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member

Count me in as one of the few who think the Legion franchise is strong enough to stand on it's own, without being chained to the Superman mythos.

#teamValor
    I agree. I never knew why 'Sci Fi Heroes in the Future' needed a time traveling Superboy for the team to work. I only read a few pre Crisis LoSH stories, but Superboy was the least interesting character.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

I liked Superboy before Crisis.

#teamValor
    I agree I very much enjoyed that period of Legion.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

My favorite Legion Comics feature Superboy. There’s a run by Jim Shooter that still is my favorite Legion stories. From Ferro Lad to the Adult Legion.

#teamValor
    I'm of the same opinion.

Peace

While awaiting some sort of word on the Golden age Batman volume 10, I was wondering if the missing issues after volume 9 were ever reprinted?
    Hail Hydra!

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Anybody read the Rachel Pollack Doom Patrol?