View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I'm with Bob on this. I do agree however that 1500 pg tomes should be the exception vs becoming regular.

DC cancels so much before it even hits the stands that IF they solicit it as ONE complete package perhaps it'll encourage more pre-orders which = to market.

Marvel has a number of orphaned lines stuck at volume one but at least they made what they solicited.
    I may have said this before, so apologies for the repetition, but I think the compromise is to publish these in two-book slipcased sets. Something like Marvel's Dark Tower omnibus. Yes, it will increase printing costs, but it also increases the market. And it's highly unlikely someone willing to buy 1500 pages in one book is going to refuse to buy it because it's in a 2 book slipcase instead.

Confirmation that the reprint of the Final Crisis Omnibus ditches the "10th Anniversary" branding.

s-l1600.jpg

Mighty Member

Deadman Omnibus
    http://prhinternationalsales.com/boo...=9781779504883

And most importantly, JLA by Morrison Omnibus!
    http://prhinternationalsales.com/boo...=9781779504999

There was also a new Infinite Crisis omni in there (same contents, different cover)

Between that, WW by Gail, and Zero Hour, I'm going to have to make huge additions to my most wanted list
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Last edited by JoeGuy; 02-16-2020 at 03:33 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    Deadman Omnibus
    http://prhinternationalsales.com/boo...=9781779504883

There was also a new Infinite Crisis omni in there (same contents, different cover)

Between that, WW by Gail, and Zero Hour, I'm going to have to make huge additions to my most wanted list
    A 1500 page DC omnibus? You’ve got to be joking. Thing will be unreadable. Must be a mistake.

Thanks for sharing link.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    Sounds cool. Can I get someone's opinion on GM's run on JLA? That could be something I'm interested in.
    I love it. It's big concept stuff (old gods, angels, time travel, Darkseid, visitors from the 853rd century, presumably Earth 2, etc.), but it never seems like it's trying to be big just for the sake of being big (I like Snyder's JL, but it always seems like it's trying). It's the opposite of compressed storytelling - lots of short arcs and one-off stories. It's the beginning of Morrison's Bat-god (the nickname for Bruce being able to overcome anything), and incorporates a number of other stories going on at the time (e.g. Superman is just Blue all of the sudden, Kyle being a relatively new GL, the recent death of Oliver Queen). It's just fun
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Incredible Member

Sounds cool. Can I get someone's opinion on GM's run on JLA? That could be something I'm interested in.
    It’s good. Honestly, it might be up there with Morrison’s best mainstream work, because he wasn’t yet GRANT MORRISON and still had editorial constraint. Plus since most of the cast had ongoing titles, he wasn’t allowed to make huge random changes to the characters. So you get a lot of his creativity without much of the weirdness-for-weirdness’-sake stuff.

Mind you, some of his more annoying tics are still there. “Crisis Times Five” is three and a half interesting stories that he decided to cram into one story, so good luck with that. Some of the stories read a lot better if you’ve also read the corresponding Wizard interviews where he explains what he was thinking and this or that character’s backstories, and obviously those won’t be included. There’s still Fourth World business, which may be a plus or a minus to you, depending on your tolerance for Kirby’s experimental phase.

But overall, yeah, it’s good. If this actually comes out, I’ll almost certainly get it, and that’s from someone who usually has to think long and hard about buying a Morrison omni.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    It is quite literally the modern age definitive telling of the Justice League of America. If you are a JLA fan and don't get this or have only come into comics in the last 20yrs and NOT read any of Morrison's run you need this.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

YES. I've been waiting for a Morrison JLA omni.

Last edited by JoeGuy; 02-16-2020 at 03:34 AM.

Incredible Member

I don't want to be the prophet of doom, but am I the only one concerned about the page count? Isn't The Invisibles under 1300 pages? At over 1500 pages this thing will be humongous.

I'm just hoping they break it in two. I'm a huge fan of Morrison and have only read the first few arcs of this run. Like others have said, from what I read, it was just plain fun in the best way,

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I have the Deluxe Editions of the JLA Morrison and it is a must read book. I will get the Omni only if it includes the Mark Waid Adam Strange story. As the years go on with this run, I am surprised how much I love the Howard Porter art. I used to think it was too 90's, but now I see it as very Jack Kirby.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    I don't want to be the prophet of doom, but am I the only one concerned about the page count? Isn't The Invisibles under 1300 pages? At over 1500 pages this thing will be humongous.

I'm just hoping they break it in two. I'm a huge fan of Morrison and have only read the first few arcs of this run. Like others have said, from what I read, it was just plain fun in the best way,
    1500 pages is absurd. However, as was mentioned elsewhere here, these days it seems the only way to get DC to complete something is for them to put it all out at once. Vol. 2's (and beyond) have a fat chance of ever seeing print.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I have the Deluxe Editions of the JLA Morrison and it is a must read book. I will get the Omni only if it includes the Mark Waid Adam Strange story. As the years go on with this run, I am surprised how much I love the Howard Porter art. I used to think it was too 90's, but now I see it as very Jack Kirby.
    so for those of us who don't really want an omnibus that is 2' tall... did the Deluxe OHCs have everything in them (i.e. all issues including any fill-in issues) or was it only Morrison penned stuff? Or were there any fill-ins?
    Also, not knowing for sure - are the OHCs hard to find? I see the 'deluxe' trades available...

thanks!
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Quote Originally Posted by Starro View Post
    Fished from Penguin Random House's website:
    The Sandman: The Deluxe Edition Book One
    Yes! I'm super excited for these. The Omni's are a bit too large for my tastes and the Absolutes even more so (that format is just not for me.)

I'm really hoping All-Star Superman gets OHC treatment someday, as I don't believe it's ever been in that format. Lots of softcover re-releases, HC's, and the Absolute. I'm really kinda shocked it hasn't been released in OHC before.