View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    I'm a bit torn on this - because there is the giant One Million omni, it'd be kind of cool to break up the two Morrison ones as before and after volumes (of course, I say this as someone that already owns the One Million omni). I would absolutely trade out those 6 issues for Aztek* . Granted, I'm sure DC would change the trade dress so that the three volumes all looked different on the shelves . . .

*If for some reason it was a "one or the other" situation, which would be weird.
    I get what you are saying but i hate the cliffhanger, in the trade, when the JLA go to the future and then no mention of the story in the next story.

I’d like these hypothetical vol’s to be Morrison’s complete JLA experience. Like the current Morrison Batman vol’s we are getting. It’s only a 6 issue double dip if you own the One Million omnibus.

I personally will never own the omni because I’m not interested in the stuff that Morrison didn’t write.

Amazing Member

I really wish DC would stop defiling their collected editions with this '10/15/20 year anniversary' crap. Such an eyesore.

Make Mine Marvel (Mostly) j0nnyboy's Avatar

I know it's subjective but are the Batman by Grant Morrison omnis worth picking up? I understand there will be 3 altogether? I am a big fan of Batman and I really enjoyed New X-men by Morrison if that's any kind of an idea..

Quote Originally Posted by j0nnyboy View Post
    I know it's subjective but are the Batman by Grant Morrison omnis worth picking up? I understand there will be 3 altogether? I am a big fan of Batman and I really enjoyed New X-men by Morrison if that's any kind of an idea..
    Absolutely. It's superior to his New X-Men run (Which I did enjoy). The first Batman omnibus is the best, in regard to the contents

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by j0nnyboy View Post
    Yeah, they material is pretty great. Volume 1 is fantastic and is probably my favorite omnibus. While I haven't gotten v2 yet, I've read all the material a couple times (okay, more like 10 times). It's a more complicated read (there are two or more interweaving stories), so just power through it - all will be revealed and make sense by the end.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    Absolutely. It's superior to his New X-Men run (Which I did enjoy). The first Batman omnibus is the best, in regard to the contents
    Both of these statements are matters of opinion. For me, the work collected in the 2nd Omnibus is among the best Morrison has done. I also prefer New X-Men to Volume 1 and felt volume 3 was something of a let down.
    Art is uneven throughout but volume 2 features Frank Quitely, Chris Sprouse, Ryan Sook and Frazer Irving, so it has that going for it as well. I'm not a huge fan of Chris Bunham, Tony Daniel or Andy Kubert though, and actively dislike David Finch.
    That being said, all three volumes are definitely worth reading and rereading.
    Last edited by rtk79; 06-23-2019 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Additional thought

Make Mine Marvel (Mostly) j0nnyboy's Avatar

Thanks Ramsay and bob. I'll pick em up!

Quote Originally Posted by rtk79 View Post
    Both of these statements are matters of opinion. For me, the work collected in the 2nd Omnibus is among the best Morrison has done. I also prefer New X-Men to Volume 1 and felt volume 3 was something of a let down.
    Art is uneven throughout but volume 2 features Frank Quitely, Chris Sprouse, Ryan Sook and Frazer Irving, so it has that going for it as well. I'm not a huge fan of Chris Bunham, Tony Daniel or Andy Kubert though, and actively dislike David Finch.
    That being said, all three volumes are definitely worth reading and rereading.

I found New X-Men somewhat frustrating because some of it was phenomenal, while some of it was disappointing. As such, it rates lower for me than some of Morrison's other work, although, again, I still like the omnibus and see it as one of the better X-Men runs out there.

As for the Batman omnibus books (Or what comprises of them), I found volume 1 to be more intricately written. I remember a lot of people complaining that it was hard to follow/understand (Predominantly from when RIP started), which I didn't agree with. Simply put, it was brilliantly written.

As for volume 2, I got the impression Morrison sort of dumbed down the writing when he got to Batman & Robin. I loved some of the segments (Such as his work with Quitely on Professor Pyg), but, although as bob/.schoonover mentioned, it was complex due to the interweaving storylines, it didn't have that same chutzpah that emanated from volume 1.....I also remember Morrison's portrayal of Jason Todd, although an interesting take, to be a bit out-of-character. He went to extremes with Robin numero dos.

Obviously, there were certain aspects of those two volumes which titillated our mental tastebuds in different ways.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    I found New X-Men somewhat frustrating because some of it was phenomenal, while some of it was disappointing. As such, it rates lower for me than some of Morrison's other work, although, again, I still like the omnibus and see it as one of the better X-Men runs out there.

As for the Batman omnibus books (Or what comprises of them), I found volume 1 to be more intricately written. I remember a lot of people complaining that it was hard to follow/understand (Predominantly from when RIP started), which I didn't agree with. Simply put, it was brilliantly written.

As for volume 2, I got the impression Morrison sort of dumbed down the writing when he got to Batman & Robin. I loved some of the segments (Such as his work with Quitely on Professor Pyg), but, although as bob/.schoonover mentioned, it was complex due to the interweaving storylines, it didn't have that same chutzpah that emanated from volume 1.....I also remember Morrison's portrayal of Jason Todd, although an interesting take, to be a bit out-of-character. He went to extremes with Robin numero dos.

Obviously, there were certain aspects of those two volumes which titillated our mental tastebuds in different ways.
    I thought that the Return of Bruce Wayne, in particular, had spectacular bits of writing that don't necessarily jump out of at you. I'm very impressed by the "caveman" speech in #1 for instance. It's simple, beautiful in its way and a far cry from the grunting most writers would have used. And this sort of clever use of voice occur throughout volume 2.
    I also love the interweaving going on. Which is both very original and thoroughly sympathetic to the nature of monthly comics.
    Finally, I don't think there's any dumbing down at work in Batman & Robin, only a different, more energetic, focus, taht's also borne by the 3-part story structure used during the run. I think the final 4 issues of B&R, especially, are amanzingly manic.
    That said, we do agree that these are all high-class books, bound to be appreciated diffrently by each and every reader.

This was mentioned on Bleeding Cool during the week, but the Lucifer Omnibus Vol 1 has had a small page count bump, and now runs at 1000 pages. It's also had a price bump, and now has a $125 cover price.

Final Order Cut off for retailers is today, so I'm hoping this means that it's likely the book will see the light of day after all. can't comment on the likliehood of a Volume 2 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ840 View Post
    How would people map out a 2 volume JLA by Morrison Omnibus set ?

What would people include in the 2 vol’s ?
    I absolutely love Aztek, so I wouldn't argue against it. And I consider DC One Million a must, at least the 4-issue mini and the JLA #1,000,000 issue.

The Prometheus New Year's Evil one-shot seems like a slam dunk, as well as that Secret Files lead-in story that explains the team's expansion. Were there multiple Secret Files? Gah, hard to remember.

I'm sure I'm missing something... regardless, I've missed out on previous Morrison JLA hardcovers/omnis, so if this is ever produced I'd buy it in a hot second. The first 90-ish issues of JLA (spanning Morrison, Waid, and Kelly) is one of my all-time favorite books.

Well I broke down and ordered the two Batman Morrison omnis, never read any of the material before but I'm trying to expand my tastes into more "modern" stuff. Word of mouth is pretty positive on this run.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Hank View Post
    Well I broke down and ordered the two Batman Morrison omnis, never read any of the material before but I'm trying to expand my tastes into more "modern" stuff. Word of mouth is pretty positive on this run.
    I hope you enjoy it. My copy of v2 is out for delivery and I'm oh so jazzed
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

For me, this is now the most awesome solicitation:

https://previewsworld.com/Catalog/JUL190650

JONAH HEX THE BRONZE AGE OMNIBUS HC VOL 01

One of the greatest and most memorable Western characters in comics, Jonah Hex rode the high plains in search of vengeance and justice in these 1970s stories collected here for the first time. A former Confederate soldier, Hex traveled from town to town helping those in need, stopping evildoers but often exacting a high price. Collects adventures from ALL-STAR WESTERN #10-11, WEIRD WESTERN TALES #12-14 and 16-38, JONAH HEX #1-17 and JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #159-160.
    In Shops: May 06, 2020
    SRP: $125.00
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

^^^^^
    That is indeed going to be full of so much awesome!

Also, the Joker Bronze Age Omni, allegedly cancelled, is still(or back on) track it would seem.
    However, please tell me this cover showing on Amazon isn't real? Surely DC Collections Dept wouldn't drastically alter their cover scheme for this book or start doing it on others going forward?
    Joker Bronze Age Omnibus.jpg
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime