View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 190 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 901401801861871881891901911921931942002402906901190 ... LastLast
Results 2,836 to 2,850 of 21667
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I think qualitywise they are the same, although DP is a thicker book so I takes more time to lay it flat. The stories are just so different, I can't compare them. I love (LOVE LOVE) Morrison's stuff but I would vote for Planetary in this case.
    How is the art in DP compared to Planetary? Obviously Planetary has Cassaday, who is brilliant IMO, so that's a plus. But is the artwork in DP good or is it just there to "tell the story", if that make sense.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SediarSago View Post
    Hello, I'm trying to pick between either reading Planetary or Doom Patrol in omnibus form. Which is the better series in your opinion and how is the binding of both of them?
    If you are looking for a Vertigo-style superhero story go Doom Patrol. If you want a large-scaled, cosmic (and more modern) story with superhuman characters, go Planetary.

Also, Cassady is in top form on it. Doom Patrol has strong but functional art; I would definitely not say it's better than Planetary. In fact, much of Doom Patrol is (well-done) but typical late-80s/early 90s DC house style superhero art.

Amazing Member

image.jpgimage.jpgIn fact, a couple scans I found online that give a good example of the typical look of Richard Case's art in Doom Patrol.

I was wondering what the Doom Patrol Omnibus encompasses. What content does it collect or leave out? Does it work as a stand alone or is there more to the series? I'm sure this has all been discussed months ago so I don't mind searching if I must. Unfortunately, I usually skim over bits of the thread that don't interest me at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I'm mulling picking up GA. I've read the Smith run a bunch of times over the years, so I will more than likely hold off. Still . . .
    But this is not the soon-to-Absoluted Smith run - it's Meltzer's as a Deluxe.

Fantastic Member

http://www.comiclist.com/index.php/l...for-12-03-2014

"THE FLASH VOL. 5: HISTORY LESSONS TP now will arrive in stores on January 28 as a hardcover with a cover price of $22.99 US."

Was vol. 5 the first one that was supposed to be TPB-only? It's on Amazon now for pre-order for $9.48, because it seems they didn't change the price yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SediarSago View Post
    How is the art in DP compared to Planetary? Obviously Planetary has Cassaday, who is brilliant IMO, so that's a plus. But is the artwork in DP good or is it just there to "tell the story", if that make sense.
    I agree with jjsheridan1001. DP is good enough but not as good as Cassaday.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by danmar85 View Post
    I was wondering what the Doom Patrol Omnibus encompasses. What content does it collect or leave out? Does it work as a stand alone or is there more to the series? I'm sure this has all been discussed months ago so I don't mind searching if I must. Unfortunately, I usually skim over bits of the thread that don't interest me at the time.
    It works well as a complete standalone. I went in with no knowledge of any of the characters or their histories. It has a proper end as well.

Spectacular Member Commissioner Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wisdom View Post

"THE FLASH VOL. 5: HISTORY LESSONS TP now will arrive in stores on January 28 as a hardcover with a cover price of $22.99 US."

Was vol. 5 the first one that was supposed to be TPB-only? It's on Amazon now for pre-order for $9.48, because it seems they didn't change the price yet.
    Thanks for the heads up, I pre-ordered a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by danmar85 View Post
    It works well by itself. You don't need anything, even though it technically starts on issue # 19 of the series. You'll pretty much figure out why things are the way they are on page 1.

You could argue that it leaves out the 4-issue Flex Mentall series, which is collected in an OHC, but you're not missing much. I know there are tons of people on this thread who will argue otherwise, but at the end of the day, I bet we can agree that it wouldn't add anything to the overall DP run if you don't read it.

Incredible Member

Yes, it was going to be the first straight to TPB since Vol. 4 got a HC release. Single issue sales and/or TPB pre-orders must have been strong enough to bump it up to a HC release. My guess is DC thought sales would be softer since it's the first non-Buccellato volume. And thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    It works well by itself. You don't need anything, even though it technically starts on issue # 19 of the series. You'll pretty much figure out why things are the way they are on page 1.

You could argue that it leaves out the 4-issue Flex Mentall series, which is collected in an OHC, but you're not missing much. I know there are tons of people on this thread who will argue otherwise, but at the end of the day, I bet we can agree that it wouldn't add anything to the overall DP run if you don't read it.
    I LOVE Flex Mentallo but it's not part of the DP storyline. In fact I've read Flex before DP. It's really its own thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I LOVE Flex Mentallo but it's not part of the DP storyline. In fact I've read Flex before DP. It's really its own thing.
    I agree (except for the part about loving it). But I mentioned it because Flex makes his first appearance in DP, and it's written by Morrison.

Fantastic Member The_Dark_Knight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wisdom View Post

This is great news! A TPB was going to look weird on my N52 shelf on account of all my N52 books are HCs (not because I refuse to buy trades - it's just the books I'm interested in happen to be the ones DC releases as HCs.

Nice. If they discontinued the HC I would stop getting it lol. Also from this anything about Batwoman getting HC back?
    Action, ANXM, ASM, Aquaman, AatO, Avengers, Batgirl, Batman, B+R, Det, GA, GL, JL, JLD, JLU, Sinestro, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Thor