View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1090 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 9059099010401080108610871088108910901091109210931094110011401190 ... LastLast
Results 16,336 to 16,350 of 21670

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 03:24 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    I'm going to take all the talk about the covers as a sign a good number of you picked them up!
    I have a huge nostalgia thing for the series, so I'm not sure I can be objective. However, the three omnis together provide a complete, long-form story that's rarely seen in Big Two comics (it's fair to argue that Sword of Azrael should have been in the first one if one is going to say it's complete). The second omni is the weakest of the three (both because of content and how they ordered the stories - I understand the choice and all, but it'd probably help the pacing if The Search was intertwined with The Crusade). The third omni contains material that has not been collected before (The Troika, Search for Alfred) that does not *yet* appear in the solicitations for future Batman collections. I think it's certainly worth reading those stories some way - borrow them, wait for the fall when the trades all come out, etc., but I think you may have to dig the 90s replacement hero kick to really get full value from the omnis.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    That's... not bad actually.

I'm still a fan of Kelley Jones', and the only thing I'd change here is maybe make the rocks a little less... rocky?
    I'm a fan of Jones' too, so I love the covers, but they could have done a better job of making all three spines of the books tie in together better. When you line the spines up next to each other, they look atrocious.

Other than that, I've very happy with the books and glad DC published that story in omnis.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Is anyone familiar with the Silver Age Doom Patrol Omnibus? I love the Morrison's run and I want to try this one.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hush View Post
    Is anyone familiar with the Silver Age Doom Patrol Omnibus? I love the Morrison's run and I want to try this one.
    I have the omnibus. I like it a lot although I haven't finished it yet. I have a bunch of silver age material on the go. I go back to each as the mood hits.
    Its not like the Morrison run but it is still weird especially for its time (in a good way).

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    I have the omnibus. I like it a lot although I haven't finished it yet. I have a bunch of silver age material on the go. I go back to each as the mood hits.
    Its not like the Morrison run but it is still weird especially for its time (in a good way).
    Thank you for the info RamblingMan If the stories are still weird with some 60s goofiness that could be really fun

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hush View Post
    Thank you for the info RamblingMan If the stories are still weird with some 60s goofiness that could be really fun
    Oh, it's a lot of fun and I recommend it. It's some of the better silver age material I have read from either Marvel/DC. I'm like you. I first read Morrisons run and wanted to check out the Silver Age material. It feels like it builds on the characters more than other silver age DC material I have read (Flash/Green Lantern etc)

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    Oh, it's a lot of fun and I recommend it. It's some of the better silver age material I have read from either Marvel/DC. I'm like you. I first read Morrisons run and wanted to check out the Silver Age material. It feels like it builds on the characters more than other silver age DC material I have read (Flash/Green Lantern etc)
    Ah that's even better ! After finishing the Morrison's run I wanted to find out more about this team and this omnibus seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

So yeah I'm gonna buy it soon, thanks again for your help

BANNED

just ordered George Perez Wonder Woman Omnibus, vol. 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    just ordered George Perez Wonder Woman Omnibus, vol. 3.
    I need to get on that.

I'm reading the Knightsend omnibus, which was always my favorite arc in the trilogy. That said - and I hope I'm not reading more than I should into this - during the intro, the editor suggests that we might have more of these collections on the way. The 90s and early 2000s was a long run of major arcs for the Batman series and they'd all make some nice collections.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I'm reading the Knightsend omnibus, which was always my favorite arc in the trilogy. That said - and I hope I'm not reading more than I should into this - during the intro, the editor suggests that we might have more of these collections on the way. The 90s and early 2000s was a long run of major arcs for the Batman series and they'd all make some nice collections.
    Interesting. What's after Knightsend?

How far off is the beginning of No Man's Land from the end of Knightsend?

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post

I'm going by memory but it's a good ways off. There was Contagion, Cataclysm, Road to NML, NML, Bruce Wayne Murderer, Fugitive, War Games, etc (and I might not have them in the correct order)>

This was when the Bat titles were overseen by a strong editorial crew who would sit down and map out the arcs and crossovers. The one negative, I suppose, is that you had to read most titles because they continued into each other. But, that said, NML was awesome and it was nice having to wait only one week for the next chapter.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post

After Knightsend (which I'm reading right now, too), there's about a year* of all the titles being mostly unconnected, then there's Contagion/Legacy (there's about a 3-4 month break between the two events, but all the connecting issues are in the new sets of trades). Then there's a two year break (give or take), then Cataclysm/Road to No Man's Land/No Man's Land. After NML, it's about two years before Murder/Fugitive. The inter-title cohesion kind of breaks down when Rucka and Brubaker left - Hush was its own thing, 'Tec bounced through a few different creative teams, etc.

If I had to guess, I could see them doing a Contagion omni and/or a 3 part Cataclysm/NML omni, but probably not continuous omnibii that perfectly line up together

*A year of all of Batman, 'Tec, Shadow of the Bat, and Robin, so ~48 issues/1000 pages

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    The inter-title cohesion kind of breaks down when Rucka and Brubaker left - Hush was its own thing, 'Tec bounced through a few different creative teams, etc.
    Very much so. a few years later Morrison took over and that's it's own thing.

One thing that gets forgotten also is that Snyder had a nice run on Detective right to the end, which I thought was pretty decent since I'm not a big fan of his new 52 Batman run.