View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.

I got a sweet deal on the deluxes early last year so I'm good with that. Also I did not care for anything jla not written by Morrison. Not Waid nor Kelly. Tower of Babel was okay but after Morrison everything just felt generic.

Wow so books in July and August are already appearing on Amazon

Byrne Superman HC for 50 bucks.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Wow so books in July and August are already appearing on Amazon

Byrne Superman HC for 50 bucks.
    Placed an order for that, 35 bucks for what should be an omnibus is a great deal even with the risk of amazon packing and shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Avengers1986 View Post
    Placed an order for that, 35 bucks for what should be an omnibus is a great deal even with the risk of amazon packing and shipping.
    To be clear, the reason the price dropped is because it got downgraded from an oversized Omnibus to a standard-sized hardcover with less content.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by T.D. View Post
    To be clear, the reason the price dropped is because it got downgraded from an oversized Omnibus to a standard-sized hardcover with less content.
    Wait, what?! Why the hell would they...?

Quote Originally Posted by T.D. View Post
    What exactly are you basing this assumption on? The contents listed are an omnibus's worth. Seems more likely they just put the wrong price. Given DC often can't even list the correct info on a book after it's printed and released, something that isn't even solicited yet is ripe for that kind of mistake and something DC/Amazon/Etc tend to do often (listing a hardcover as a paperback, a deluxe as standard sized, etc. etc.) As I recall, this happened with the Silver Age Supergirl omni, among others.

Heck, their pre-solicitation text literally says the word "omnibus" (twice!): http://prhinternationalsales.com/boo...=9781779504913

I'm going with incorrect price point or a great deal rather than any downgrade in format.
    Last edited by Dick Grayson; 12-03-2019 at 04:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
    What exactly are you basing this assumption on? The contents listed are an omnibus's worth. Seems more likely they just put the wrong price. Given DC often can't even list the correct info on a book after it's printed and released, something that isn't even solicited yet is ripe for that kind of mistake and something DC/Amazon/Etc tend to do often (listing a hardcover as a paperback, a deluxe as standard sized, etc. etc.) As I recall, this happened with the Silver Age Supergirl omni, among others.

Heck, their pre-solicitation text literally says the word "omnibus" (twice!): http://prhinternationalsales.com/boo...=9781779504913

I'm going with incorrect price point or a great deal rather than any downgrade in format.
    Hank Kanalz, head of DC publishing, replied to a tweet that suggests it's a standard hc (pic from the Omnibus collector's FB group)

Mighty Member

Summer Catalog is starting to go up - it's not fully loaded, but this will be the link eventually

https://www.edelweiss.plus/#catalogID=4417841
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Spectacular Member

What exactly are you basing this assumption on? The contents listed are an omnibus's worth.
    The contents, yes, but not the price AND the page count of 480.

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    Summer Catalog is starting to go up - it's not fully loaded, but this will be the link eventually

https://www.edelweiss.plus/#catalogID=4417841
    I can't seem to open any catalogue on the Edelweiss site, and I've tried multiple browsers, devices, and networks. Is it just me?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I can't seem to open any catalogue on the Edelweiss site, and I've tried multiple browsers, devices, and networks. Is it just me?
    Nah, it's not working for me, either. I jumped the gun a bit apparently
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Hank Kanalz, head of DC publishing, replied to a tweet that suggests it's a standard hc (pic from the Omnibus collector's FB group)
    Thanks for a source, Balakin. I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t somebody taking a possible Amazon mistake and assuming there was more to it. But that message does indeed suggest a downgrade, which is disappointing for everyone who has been waiting for an omni of this material. Maybe this is DC’s new strategy - publishing the material in standard trim and letting the fans find all the mistakes/printing errors/omissions so that if/when they want to put out an omni, the omni is more complete/correct AND they can get these same folks to buy the material twice! (I’m only half kidding...)

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    Nah, it's not working for me, either. I jumped the gun a bit apparently
    It's great to have the link all the same. Thanks!

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Thanks for a source, Balakin. I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t somebody taking a possible Amazon mistake and assuming there was more to it. But that message does indeed suggest a downgrade, which is disappointing for everyone who has been waiting for an omni of this material. Maybe this is DC’s new strategy - publishing the material in standard trim and letting the fans find all the mistakes/printing errors/omissions so that if/when they want to put out an omni, the omni is more complete/correct AND they can get these same folks to buy the material twice! (I’m only half kidding...)
    Why only half? We've seen no evidence to the contrary.

We already have poorly collected trades of Byrne's run; I'm rrreeeaallllyyy hoping they improve the mapping on these hardcovers. But since there's no way of knowing what the hell they intend to do until the final product is physically in our hands, I'm going to skip pre-ordering this until I know for sure it just isn't the trades re-cut, with a jacked up price. Of course not pre-ordering can almost guarantee the line gets orphaned at 1 or 2 volumes, so there's also that to worry about... lol

F*cking DC... <inserts eyerolls>
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Why only half? We've seen no evidence to the contrary.

We already have poorly collected trades of Byrne's run; I'm rrreeeaallllyyy hoping they improve the mapping on these hardcovers. But since there's no way of knowing what the hell they intend to do until the final product is physically in our hands, I'm going to skip pre-ordering this until I know for sure it just isn't the trades re-cut, with a jacked up price. Of course not pre-ordering can almost guarantee the line gets orphaned at 1 or 2 volumes, so there's also that to worry about... lol

F*cking DC... <inserts eyerolls>
    I would not be surprised if they ultimately ended up justifying not making omnis (which everyone wants) because of low pre-orders for the standard-sized HCs (which nobody wants.) Stuff like this is why I’ve still yet to regret getting a big iPad Pro and going digital!