View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 60 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 1050565758596061626364701101605601060 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member Commissioner Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wallace View Post
    I believe it's identical to the regular HC (apart from the larger size, obviously). There was a bit of consternation when it first came out that DC hadn't bothered to add anything new for the Absolute.
    I have the TPB and the only difference I see between it and the Absolute is the inclusion of the script to issue #1 in the Absolute. It was worth the upgrade for me since I love the bigger format and even though Identity Crisis isn't a favorite of mine, that price can't be beat.

Spectacular Member

As we're on the Absolutes subject, can The New Frontier be read as a standalone? I know it's a limited series but I'm afraid it might pick up plot lines I know nothing about...
    Thanks for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Stargasm View Post
    As we're on the Absolutes subject, can The New Frontier be read as a standalone? I know it's a limited series but I'm afraid it might pick up plot lines I know nothing about...
    Thanks for the replies!
    Totally standalone. Not quite elseworlds, but not in continuity. Kind of like a post-Crisis publication of a pre-Crisis story, if that makes sense.

Thanks for the replies!
    Standalone. I personally consider it an Elseworlds, since the continuity isn't the same as pre-new 52 (when it was published), but who knows. It's pretty much a love letter to the Silver Age, and certainly recommended!

Taschen starting on Thursday till Sunday is having 50-75% off on slightly damaged and display items in their stores. Perhaps also those DC books they published. Anyway you might want to check it out if there's a store near you. They have stores in Germany and Amsterdam, Brussels, Copenhagen, Paris, Madrid and London and across the US (NYC, Miami, Hollywood and Beverly Hills). http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/stor...hen_stores.htm

Not sure if this will also be in their online store, so you might want to check that out starting Thursday as well.

Thanks for the replies!
    Like other's have said, standalone. I like to view it as the spiritual sequel to Robinson's The Golden Age(Man, that was a good book too!)

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Like other's have said, standalone. I like to view it as the spiritual sequel to Robinson's The Golden Age(Man, that was a good book too!)
    Agreed. An Absolute Golden Age is top of my wish list, has been for a while.

My copy of Graphic Ink: Frank Quitely arrived today, and I have to say I am disappointed.

The solicits did a poor job of outlining what this book actually was, and made it seem like more of an art book. Instead, we get a slightly larger than OHC collection of random Quitely drawn stories. Now, I haven't dug into the book, so there may be some text pieces giving background info on what went on behind the scenes, inspired certain illustrations, etc.; but my first impression is that I wish I had passed on this book.

Spectacular Member

Thank you for the New Frontier replies guys!
    The art looks really nice from, what I saw here and there, I'll definitely consider buying it in the near future.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Thank you for the New Frontier replies guys!
    The art looks really nice from, what I saw here and there, I'll definitely consider buying it in the near future.
    Definitely do. The art is beautiful. It's my favourite of all the Absolutes and is a fantastic standalone story. Because of it, I took a real liking to Martian Manhunter.

Quote Originally Posted by mike1981 View Post
    My copy of Graphic Ink: Frank Quitely arrived today, and I have to say I am disappointed.

The solicits did a poor job of outlining what this book actually was, and made it seem like more of an art book. Instead, we get a slightly larger than OHC collection of random Quitely drawn stories. Now, I haven't dug into the book, so there may be some text pieces giving background info on what went on behind the scenes, inspired certain illustrations, etc.; but my first impression is that I wish I had passed on this book.
    I understand what you mean about the lack of solicit info. It is not at all an "art" book in terms of process.

That said, I am happy with this purchase. It reads more like a Greatest Hits collection. All of his Batman work is here. All of it. His Time and the Batman pages! There are full complete stories in here. I'm looking forward to reading the complete Scottish Connection in here for the first time. I'm loving the b&w shorts early in this so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Avengers1986 View Post
    Thinking about buying Absolute Identity Crisis since IST has it for 65% off. I already have the original hardcover release and was wondering if anyone who has it can tell me if its worth double dipping, are there extras in the absolute that aren't in the original hardcover. Do we get the flash issues that crossed over or the JLA issues that served as a sequel? Thanks for any info.
    A deluxe hardover release will be coming out in December if you can wait that long. I've wanted the story in a better format than the trade for quite some time but didn't want to spring for the Absolute. That seems like a good compromise price wise.

After placing the order for a used copy on May 26'th, I finally received one of my two holy grail books: Absolute Dark Knight. It was listed as "Good Condition", and aside from some dents on the corners of the slipcase, the book itself is in great shape. It says it's a first printing from 2006, and I'm happy with the purchase. Two pics below.

DSC00356.jpg
    DSC00357.jpg

Fantastic Member The_Dark_Knight's Avatar

The Rags Morales art really, really benefits from the oversized Absolute. Especially in his depictions of grief throughout the book - heartbreaking.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wasp14 View Post
    A deluxe hardover release will be coming out in December if you can wait that long. I've wanted the story in a better format than the trade for quite some time but didn't want to spring for the Absolute. That seems like a good compromise price wise.
    There's a deluxe Identity Crisis hardcover coming out?? When was this announced and is it on amazon?