View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
625. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

    62 9.92%
  • Deluxe

    248 39.68%
  • Omnibus

    258 41.28%
  • Absolute

    138 22.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1357 of 1362 FirstFirst ... 357857125713071347135313541355135613571358135913601361 ... LastLast
Results 20,341 to 20,355 of 20420
  1. #20341
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    7

    Default

    What's the verdict on the Sandman Omnibi? I wrote a more detailed post that seems to have disappeared, so I thought I'd ask here. I've already read the series before, and am looking for a nice version to replace the mismatched second hand copies I read and subsequently sold off.

    Is the shelf porn factor (black trim, hardcover, sheer presence, oversized art, etc.) of the Omnibi worth the extra cost over the 30th Anniversary paperback box set (which has 3 extra volumes and is easier to read)? The cost difference on Amazon Canada is $80 CAD or so.

  2. #20342
    Spectacular Member Lake Nowhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aleph-nihil View Post
    What's the verdict on the Sandman Omnibi? I wrote a more detailed post that seems to have disappeared, so I thought I'd ask here. I've already read the series before, and am looking for a nice version to replace the mismatched second hand copies I read and subsequently sold off.

    Is the shelf porn factor (black trim, hardcover, sheer presence, oversized art, etc.) of the Omnibi worth the extra cost over the 30th Anniversary paperback box set (which has 3 extra volumes and is easier to read)? The cost difference on Amazon Canada is $80 CAD or so.
    I think the omnis are some of the best-looking out there, the black trim is stunning. I'm actually looking to sell volumes 1 and 2 (I've upgraded to Absolute editions). They're in great shape and I'd let them go for a fair price.

  3. #20343
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA USA
    Posts
    5,360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aleph-nihil View Post
    What's the verdict on the Sandman Omnibi? I wrote a more detailed post that seems to have disappeared, so I thought I'd ask here. I've already read the series before, and am looking for a nice version to replace the mismatched second hand copies I read and subsequently sold off.

    Is the shelf porn factor (black trim, hardcover, sheer presence, oversized art, etc.) of the Omnibi worth the extra cost over the 30th Anniversary paperback box set (which has 3 extra volumes and is easier to read)? The cost difference on Amazon Canada is $80 CAD or so.
    While the Sandman omni's are very nice, I'd personally go for the Absolute Editions. Those omni's are sooo thick and heavy, I think the Absolute's are an easier reading experience despite their larger trim size.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009
    7,869

    The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

  4. #20344
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lake Nowhere View Post
    I think the omnis are some of the best-looking out there, the black trim is stunning. I'm actually looking to sell volumes 1 and 2 (I've upgraded to Absolute editions). They're in great shape and I'd let them go for a fair price.
    Thank you for the offer! However, I won't be able to buy until, say, September at the earliest (and not for sure, even then), so I cannot take you up on that, I am afraid.

    Is it enjoyable to read such a hefty omnibus, or are the paperbacks way better for that? Having looked at a few videos, the Omnibus pages seem too "bent"/"curved" due to the sheer number of pages, even when you lay it flat on a table. I am not sure if I was able to explain, but it looks like the pages themselves cannot open (as) flat (as the paperbacks) due to the thickness of the omnibi, and that feels like the deciding factor in favor of the paperback box set for me. (Just my musings, I appreciate if you read this far.)

    See (the pages are bent "upward" toward the camera, so to speak):

    Screenshot_20210509_161759.jpg

    Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    While the Sandman omni's are very nice, I'd personally go for the Absolute Editions. Those omni's are sooo thick and heavy, I think the Absolute's are an easier reading experience despite their larger trim size.
    Sadly they're out of my budget. At MSRP, so are the Omnibi, and I only so much as considered them because Amazon has them for cheaper. As I said above though, I am currently feeling more inclined to go with the paperbacks. However, I've been hemming and hawing on this matter for the last week or so and I have literal months to decide on an edition, so I will keep pondering.
    Last edited by aleph-nihil; 05-09-2021 at 03:21 PM.

  5. #20345
    Incredible Member Adset's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    869

    Default

    I went down the middle of the box set vs omni? debate and decided to go all in on the deluxe edition hardcovers they’re currently releasing. They look nice on the shelf and much easier to read than the larger editions.

  6. #20346
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA USA
    Posts
    5,360

    Default

    The new Deluxe Editions are also a good choice. Like you said, much easier to handle/read than an omni or Absolute, and available at deeply discounted pre-order prices.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009
    7,869

    The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

  7. #20347
    Extraordinary Member Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    The new Deluxe Editions are also a good choice. Like you said, much easier to handle/read than an omni or Absolute, and available at deeply discounted pre-order prices.
    They're my preferred format. Just chunky enough to feel like great value for your dollar but not massive like those omnibus tomes that just seem impossible to finish in an evening. There's also the fear that the omnis will collapse under their own weight and they're just uncomfortable to read on anything but a table.

    I have a lot of omnis and I do enjoy them, but oversized Deluxe hardcovers are the magic sweetspot of value, collectible quality and length for a reading experience. I'd argue they look the best on the shelf too.

  8. #20348
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA USA
    Posts
    5,360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    They're my preferred format. Just chunky enough to feel like great value for your dollar but not massive like those omnibus tomes that just seem impossible to finish in an evening. There's also the fear that the omnis will collapse under their own weight and they're just uncomfortable to read on anything but a table.

    I have a lot of omnis and I do enjoy them, but oversized Deluxe hardcovers are the magic sweetspot of value, collectible quality and length for a reading experience. I'd argue they look the best on the shelf too.
    Completely agree on all counts. Unfortunately, when it comes to DC our best bet of getting things collected in their entirety is to go the omnibus route. Either they drop these mammoth 1,300 page omni's, or they cancel a line halfway through...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009
    7,869

    The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

  9. #20349
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    The new Deluxe Editions are also a good choice. Like you said, much easier to handle/read than an omni or Absolute, and available at deeply discounted pre-order prices.
    I was really excited when they got announced because, as you said, they're in the sweet spot of readability and collectibility. I have Sandman Overture Deluxe, and it feels like the perfect format to own that book in.

    But for some reason I cannot get myself as excited about owning them as I expected- they feel... lovelessly done, if that makes any sense. There's an Audible ad on the cover, no table of contents, no Dave McKean art on the covers, glued binding, and I found a YouTube review that said the paper was extraordinarily thin (open to any comparisons from others on that). I don't really know, perhaps I should buy the first Deluxe volume anyway and see how I feel about it (since it IS the best fit for me on -heh- paper), but I really feel the Deluxe editions could've been done better.

    edit: On that note, I would REALLY appreciate impressions from anyone who might have the Sandman Deluxe volumes.

  10. #20350
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA USA
    Posts
    5,360

    Default

    ^ ^ ^

    To be honest, I haven't read any reviews of the first Deluxe volume so I had no idea they felt so thrown together. That's a shame.

    Another point for the Absolutes in that case, because those clearly had a lot of love put into them. Even at $100 each, they're still a great deal when you consider the content, and compare them to other Absolute releases. They can still be found for $50-60 if you look in the right places (or get lucky on eBay).
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009
    7,869

    The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

  11. #20351
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    ^ ^ ^

    To be honest, I haven't read any reviews of the first Deluxe volume so I had no idea they felt so thrown together. That's a shame.

    Another point for the Absolutes in that case, because those clearly had a lot of love put into them. Even at $100 each, they're still a great deal when you consider the content, and compare them to other Absolute releases. They can still be found for $50-60 if you look in the right places (or get lucky on eBay).
    The absolutes ARE worth it certainly, but I am from a developing country with a crashing currency, so that acquiring the full series is going to cost me more than the equivalent of, like, $800 for an American in any format. (Not by direct conversion but in terms of budgetary impact.) I am also a student, so I will be saving up money to buy these editions and cannot afford the Absolutes.

    Yeah, it's really a shame that the Deluxe editions are flawed at best, and it makes the decision of editions very difficult- but given that the paperbacks had much more care put into them, provide more content for a cheaper price, and are all available right now instead of releasing over the next year, I think I might go with the paperbacks after all. Another reason is that I think the story splits very nicely into 10 volumes- I'd lose that with any other edition besides the paperbacks.

    I'm just glad Overture got a separate Deluxe edition since it (for my money) has the best art in the series by a mile- hell, maybe I will see if I can nab Absolute Overture as the crowning gem of my entire book collection...

  12. #20352
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA USA
    Posts
    5,360

    Default

    There's really no bad way to read a classic like Sandman at the end of the day, and it sounds like the paperback set (which is still quite nice!) is your best bet after all.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009
    7,869

    The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

  13. #20353
    Spectacular Member seusilva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Sorocaba, Brasil
    Posts
    194

    Default

    Here in the Brasil they did something really interesting with Sandman - released the exact Absolutes content on Deluxe size. I really like my editions!
    Overture I bought on Absolute format, the art is too amazing to see on a small size (and I read them first on single issues).

  14. #20354
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    886

    Default

    Did the Batman Gotham by Gaslight Deluxe Edition ever come out? If so, I'm guessing it was OOP right away?

  15. #20355
    Fantastic Member Dr Hank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    US
    Posts
    292

    Default

    I just received the first Sandman Deluxe Edition, read 4 issues so far. I typically wouldn't buy a hardcover with glued binding but the price was good. I've never read the series and figured it's a good way to see if I like it. It's honestly one of those things I've avoided forever because of the hype, decided to get over myself and enjoy.

    The binding doesn't seem too bad but I worry how it'll hold up over time. I'm also not a big fan of the paper - somewhat thin and glossy, DC certainly has released better. But I like the size and so far I'm really enjoying the book so I'll pick up vol.2 soon, despite the shortcomings. I'd be more critical if these were $50+.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •