View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

This arrived today, my volume 2 of the Super Friends collection.

I tried to get it through two different comic book stores (just like I did with vol 1) but neither returned my calls or emails. I ended up having to go through Amazon.

Incredible Member

Batman Gotham Knights: Contested arrived and it contains -

Gotham Knights 14-24 & 32 (issues 25-31 are part of the Batman Murderer/Fugitive storyline)

Incredible Member

Thoughts on the upcoming Batgirl by Simone omni? Is it grimdark or hampered by editorial decrees? I've heard the latter about Simone's WW run.

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    Thoughts on the upcoming Batgirl by Simone omni? Is it grimdark or hampered by editorial decrees? I've heard the latter about Simone's WW run.
    It is both grim dark AND hampered by editorial, like most New 52 titles were. She literally got fired and rehired during the run, if that gives you any indication. It’s not bad and has its moments, but in all honesty, there aren’t many of the initial New 52 titles I would rank very highly.

I'm looking forward to getting my copy, it's my first Batgirl read
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
    It is both grim dark AND hampered by editorial, like most New 52 titles were. She literally got fired and rehired during the run, if that gives you any indication. It’s not bad and has its moments, but in all honesty, there aren’t many of the initial New 52 titles I would rank very highly.
    Agreed, I read the first 3 or 4 TPB's of the series but found it so grimdark I eventually gave up on it - there never seemed to be any moments of levity in the book (apparently according to Simone this was an editorial mandate across the whole line of Bat-titles)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    Agreed, I read the first 3 or 4 TPB's of the series but found it so grimdark I eventually gave up on it - there never seemed to be any moments of levity in the book (apparently according to Simone this was an editorial mandate across the whole line of Bat-titles)
    With Simone the darkness is gone, too. At issue #35, the series is revamped with a lighter tone and a new status quo. For all intents and purposes, Batgirl of Burnside reboots Barbara Gordon within New 52 continuity to fit her into a younger, hipper, collegiate life.

Incredible Member

Thanks for the input folks.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by shaboo View Post
    With Simone the darkness is gone, too. At issue #35, the series is revamped with a lighter tone and a new status quo. For all intents and purposes, Batgirl of Burnside reboots Barbara Gordon within New 52 continuity to fit her into a younger, hipper, collegiate life.
    Yeah I much preferred the later Batgirl of Burnside run, personally I'm hoping that gets an omnibus next

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    Yeah I much preferred the later Batgirl of Burnside run, personally I'm hoping that gets an omnibus next
    There was one scheduled for September 2019, but DC cancelled it just before final orders were due. That's not to say it might not reappear on the schedules at a future date.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    There was one scheduled for September 2019, but DC cancelled it just before final orders were due. That's not to say it might not reappear on the schedules at a future date.
    Yeah I'm hoping it does (IIRC the Batwoman one was cancelled at one point then eventually got relisted)

I have little Batgirl background. Is there anything I should try to read (or be aware of) prior to the Simone run?
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Incredible Member

The reason I'm interested at all in the Batgirl omni is because I've only ever read Babs (Oracle or Batgirl) in other people's books, never her own sustained run. I do have Dixon's Year One which is amazing (as is Robin Y1). I did like Snyder's Batman from the same time so maybe that level of dark will be ok.

Hmmm... I don't know, it'll be an IST 3pm spur of the moment decision haha

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I have little Batgirl background. Is there anything I should try to read (or be aware of) prior to the Simone run?
    As long as you were aware that she used to be Oracle and that she has a brother, I think you're set.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Awesomesauce, thank you