View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Quote Originally Posted by T.D. View Post
    It's oversized trim size. Here's a nice video review that shows everything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G_j6hNEhXY

I already have all of LOEG in standard hardcover size, but I might eventually pick this up. Looks really nice; especially like the design under the dust jacket.
    Yeah I watched that video last week, nice video for sure but he doesn't have the softcover version to compare. Not a big deal, I'm going to get the new one regardless. Got some tax return back so now might be a good time. Thanks for responding!

So I ordered, received and read Mister Miracle by Tom King. I don't know if I've ever read anything that was so hyped, byt is actually a little more than mediocre. It reminded me of his Omega Men (the hype and then it being mostly blah), and I just don't understand what all the hype is about? Why does it seem theres a hivemind whos obsessed with Tom King?

I think it would've been a pretty good 4-6 issue mini series, but as it is, its pretty forgettable and the writing at times feels so ... Boring and aimless, without any point other than to fill space. There are little to no explanations for what is happening, but the only amazing thing is the art. That's a 9/10 for me.

I don't believe I will be picking up any other series penned by King (im looking at you Heroes in Crisis).

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

A "hive mind" is largely how society as devolved or been exploited in last few years due to social media.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Over on the MMW Forum, someone mentioned the Superman Golden Age Vol. 1 Omnibus getting a reprint. Not sure how solid this information is.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/marv....html#p1148695

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    So I ordered, received and read Mister Miracle by Tom King. I don't know if I've ever read anything that was so hyped, byt is actually a little more than mediocre. It reminded me of his Omega Men (the hype and then it being mostly blah), and I just don't understand what all the hype is about? Why does it seem theres a hivemind whos obsessed with Tom King?

I think it would've been a pretty good 4-6 issue mini series, but as it is, its pretty forgettable and the writing at times feels so ... Boring and aimless, without any point other than to fill space. There are little to no explanations for what is happening, but the only amazing thing is the art. That's a 9/10 for me.

I don't believe I will be picking up any other series penned by King (im looking at you Heroes in Crisis).
    I loved Mr Miracle, couldn't care less for Omega man, loved Vision (but I'm a sucker for melancholic deconstruction if it's not super derivative like Black hammer) and absolutely HATE his Batman.

Mr Miracle is basically about depression and living with the desire to die, or tempting death. It's also a very good depiction of a relationship where the people involved are pretty broken.
    It's about how he lives his life and just like life it doesn't necessarily have an end goal. It's about relationships and the way they decide to live with whatever happens to them.

Maybe if you know people who went through this or yourself has issues like that it resonates more?
    Or maybe not and even if you have first hand experiences it's just not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I loved Mr Miracle, couldn't care less for Omega man, loved Vision (but I'm a sucker for melancholic deconstruction if it's not super derivative like Black hammer) and absolutely HATE his Batman.

Mr Miracle is basically about depression and living with the desire to die, or tempting death. It's also a very good depiction of a relationship where the people involved are pretty broken.
    It's about how he lives his life and just like life it doesn't necessarily have an end goal. It's about relationships and the way they decide to live with whatever happens to them.

Maybe if you know people who went through this or yourself has issues like that it resonates more?
    It looks like I need to read Mr Miracle. I really liked Vision.

I've not read a single thing by Tom King, but you just sold this to me.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    It looks like I need to read Mr Miracle. I really liked Vision.
    It's not the same type of story though. I would say Vision is more traditional deconstruction while Mr Miracle is a bit more experimental, leaning towards Grant Morrison but not to the extent of being incomprehensible.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    I've not read a single thing by Tom King, but you just sold this to me.
    hope it won't disappoint. Let us know what you think!( anyone who cares to type it down).

I think whatever King writes is going to be divisive (except Heroes in crisis which everyone seems to hate). I've heard opinions of Mr Miracle that said they don't explain depression to the reader and it's not informative enough. But that's what I liked about it, it depicted depression and didn't explain it (show don't tell).

Also even though I dislike half his output I don't think he is overrated at all. There is clearly something about his books that talks to a lot of people. Maybe some of it is just too personal.

It's not the same type of story though. I would say Vision is more traditional deconstruction while Mr Miracle is a bit more experimental, leaning towards Grant Morrison but not to the extent of being incomprehensible.
    Vision was excellent, and why I kept giving King a chance, but even with the "living with depression", I failed to be captured or interested in the characters.

Ok, thanks for the heads up. I'll bear that in mind.

Mighty Member

A couple new(?) collections up on Amazon:
    Death of Superman: The Wake
    https://smile.amazon.com/Death-Super...dp/1779501137/
    (would this be a recut of World Without Superman/Funeral for a Friends or some sort of epilogue to Return of Superman?)

https://smile.amazon.com/Superman-Ba...dp/1779501420/
    I assume this is just the two 80th Anniversary HCs stuffed in a slipcase
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    A couple new(?) collections up on Amazon:
    Death of Superman: The Wake
    https://smile.amazon.com/Death-Super...dp/1779501137/
    (would this be a recut of World Without Superman/Funeral for a Friends or some sort of epilogue to Return of Superman?)
    Interesting. At 136 pages, it's pretty slim (6 issues) and the only creators listed are Louise Simonson and Cat Staggs. For a second I thought it might be one of those YA prose novels, but the dimensions are standard trim tpb.

But who knows, Amazon's info is often wrong/revised for items listed so far in advance.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Interesting. At 136 pages, it's pretty slim (6 issues) and the only creators listed are Louise Simonson and Cat Staggs. For a second I thought it might be one of those YA prose novels, but the dimensions are standard trim tpb.

But who knows, Amazon's info is often wrong/revised for items listed so far in advance.
    Oh, it's this series, I assume:
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/the-d...o/4000-678506/
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    I had no idea this even existed.

Thanks for the info!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES