View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 75 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 2565717273747576777879851251755751075 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 21662
    Fantastic Member The_Dark_Knight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maeda View Post
    well that turned me off of any future collecting, maybe TPB will be better solution?
    I think they stopped coming out with the TPBs after volumes 1 and 2 (could be 3), so that's probably not an option. While I generally agree with Mr. Slick on most of his posts, I don't think the builds on the Starman omnis are that bad. Sure, they ain't Marvel, but I recently read through all 6 HC omnis and I never felt like any of the books were going to give out on me. Incredible series and a great way to collect it as those 6 books have absolutely EVERYTHING related to Jack Knight. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post
    I think they stopped coming out with the TPBs after volumes 1 and 2 (could be 3), so that's probably not an option. While I generally agree with Mr. Slick on most of his posts, I don't think the builds on the Starman omnis are that bad. Sure, they ain't Marvel, but I recently read through all 6 HC omnis and I never felt like any of the books were going to give out on me. Incredible series and a great way to collect it as those 6 books have absolutely EVERYTHING related to Jack Knight. Good stuff.
    tnx, i'll check a bit more, big gutter loss is something that really kills the joy for me, i thought i've read something about bad print quality before, but that was actually for saga of the swamp thing.

Amazing Member

I have an urge to add some New 52 OHC/Omnibuses to my collection. I have the New 52 Zero Omnibus which I understand is basically a compilation of origin stories.

What are people thoughts on the New 52 Villians Omnibus? Is this like a origin compilation for villains? Worth picking up up? Are they standalone stories?

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ukbondraider View Post
    I have an urge to add some New 52 OHC/Omnibuses to my collection. I have the New 52 Zero Omnibus which I understand is basically a compilation of origin stories.

What are people thoughts on the New 52 Villians Omnibus? Is this like a origin compilation for villains? Worth picking up up? Are they standalone stories?
    It are all one shots, some origins, some random stories and some about them handling the events in Forever Evil. Some were good (Count Vertigo, Arcane, Lex Luthor, Riddler, Killer croc etc.) But some were some of the worst comics published last year (Joker's daughter, The Creeper, Deathstroke (sadly) etc.).
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by maeda View Post
    well that turned me off of any future collecting, maybe TPB will be better solution?
    Hmmm. Wish I had your books then. LOL.
    I still feel the paper is cheap. Not thin like some of Marvel's recent stuff, but just . . . cheap. Also, a number of cases where there are word balloons lost in the gutter, so I had to really get it flat to read.
    Anyhoo, it's an awesome read. This is my third or fourth time going through it, although strangely enough my first time realizing how much of it really isn't about Jack Knight, but rather the supporting staff. By no means is this a bad thing, since I think all too often the average series ignores the back up.
    On a side note, although I believe they have stopped making the new tpb collections, DC did collect this series in smaller trades some years back. I don't know how rare/expensive they are, but that could be an option as the HCs are increasing in price.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Just an observation, but I'm now on volume 6 of the HC "omnibus" edition of Starman, and these books kind of suck. Not the stories, but rather the build. The paper is cheap, they appear glued, major gutter loss and I'm convinced if I read them a couple of times, the whole spine will crack down the middle.
    Yeah. I'm gonna have to disagree as well. I have Volumes 1-4, and each of these books have gone back and forth as I share them with my brother, carrying them in backpacks on what not as we travel cross country, etc.

I, personally, don't like the story very much, but I had no problems at all with the build.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Yeah. I'm gonna have to disagree as well. I have Volumes 1-4, and each of these books have gone back and forth as I share them with my brother, carrying them in backpacks on what not as we travel cross country, etc.

I, personally, don't like the story very much, but I had no problems at all with the build.
    I gotta encourage you to read through the rest of the series if you've got any inclination whatsoever. The Grand Guignol penultimate arc is incredible. The entire ending is one of the most satisfying conclusions in comics.

I'm just kidding.

No but seriously.

I mean. But really?

Forreal?

I'm kidding.

But.

Serious note: If you haven't read the series entirely, pick up 5 and 6. Phenomenal ending. And I think 5 and most of 6 is the giant "Stars My Destination" arc which is mind blowing.
    Last edited by ER Prest; 07-10-2014 at 06:34 PM.

I gotta encourage you to read through the rest of the series if you've got any inclination whatsoever. The Grand Guignol penultimate arc is incredible. The entire ending is one of the most satisfying conclusions in comics.
    Agreed. Unfortunately there's the hump before it where Jack went into space for too long of an arc, but the whole conclusion more than makes up for it. 9 issue final battle followed by perfect epilogues. Probably the most satisfying, rewarding ending to a series I've ever read.

Freakin' Blasphemy!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHorus View Post
    All this Absolute All Star Batman talk made me realize nobody posted pictures of the Absolute Superman - Batman Vol. 2... Or maybe I missed them and someone can tell me in what page I can find them...
    IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg

Amazing Member

IMG_0055.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg

Just finished reading them both. Fun stories. Also made the purchase on ASBaRTBW absolute too. It's been a while since I read it but I don't remember not liking it. Plus it's nice to have Miller's Batman run in absolute.

So Doom Patrol omni is coming out in a few weeks. It's actually just about the only major Morrison work I haven't read, but the $150 price puts some of Marvel's price gouging to shame. I'll probably still end up getting it though because I held out on the Doom Patrol trades for years in anticipation of the upcoming omni. Who else is getting it?

Incredible Member

So Doom Patrol omni is coming out in a few weeks. It's actually just about the only major Morrison work I haven't read, but the $150 price puts some of Marvel's price gouging to shame. I'll probably still end up getting it though because I held out on the Doom Patrol trades for years in anticipation of the upcoming omni. Who else is getting it?
    Despite worrying that it will fall apart due to it's bulk I will be purchasing it on day one. Doom Patrol helped open up my imagination after years of stunted growth. Seeing a police officer turned into a toilet is horrifying, btw.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

At this point, I'm leaning towards "no", because I already have all the singles and the trades. At today's prices, a triple-dip (even for classic/quality material like DP) would require some serious extras or other icing on the cake. I would have preferred if they'd gone the Deluxe Edition route and given us 3-4 chunky volumes in that format as opposed to an omni.

However it does get released on payday for me, so anything's possible...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES