View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 376 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 2763263663723733743753763773783793803864264768761376 ... LastLast
Results 5,626 to 5,640 of 21672

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I always felt it was a good series and sometimes - sometimes - great, but for the most part I think it's a tad overrated (I don't think it was boring though). I also felt Ex Machina - the other BKV series at the time - was better.
    That's exactly my opinion and we are obviously not the only ones. Ex Machina is OOP and Y is not (yet), so it is a bit surprising that they decided for Y.

Quote Originally Posted by TehJofus View Post
    I agree, I have the 10 deluxes that are out so far (and the deluxe Encyclopedia) and they look amazing when they're all lined up on a shelf. When it's all over and done with, it's going to be a spectacular 15 or 16 book collection.
    Absolutely (I think they're gonna be 15 in total... the 11th collects about 15 issues, so it's possibile). I got also The Invisibles Deluxe 1-2-3 and the first DMZ (other Vertigo series I got are in tpbs). Maybe they are not good as Image deluxe editions in term of quality, but they are incredibly cheaper and I love that kind of "rounded" spines.

Considering the story arcs I would expect 16 books (but of course it can also be done in 15):
    book 12: 101 - 113
    book 13: 114 - 124
    book 14: 125 - 137
    book 15: 138 - 149
    book 16: 150 + tons of extras

Quote Originally Posted by Pertl View Post
    That's exactly my opinion and we are obviously not the only ones. Ex Machina is OOP and Y is not (yet), so it is a bit surprising that they decided for Y.
    I agree Ex Machina was the better story, but I would guess the reason Y has not gone OOP is because it is very popular and DC keeps it around because it sells.

Quote Originally Posted by Pertl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    I agree Ex Machina was the better story, but I would guess the reason Y has not gone OOP is because it is very popular and DC keeps it around because it sells.
    Yes, definitely getting the Absolute treatment because of sales, at least according to my LCS owner.
    I have to admit, though, it is a beautiful looking book. I'm almost tempted. Almost.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    it might be worth a topic, but i wonder if I'm the only person in the world that found Y boring?
    I enjoyed the ride and had high expectations for a great ending but was kinda disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Yes, definitely getting the Absolute treatment because of sales, at least according to my LCS owner.
    I have to admit, though, it is a beautiful looking book. I'm almost tempted. Almost.
    I was going to skip until I saw the pictures on here, its a long shot but hopefully if it sells well enough they can do Ex Machina it already got deluxe treatment would love it in absolute.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Yeah, I love Y, but it's much better the first time around. Not the case with most Vertigo books.

Incredible Member

I was going to skip until I saw the pictures on here, its a long shot but hopefully if it sells well enough they can do Ex Machina it already got deluxe treatment would love it in absolute.
    Spain already has an absolute version! I stumble across it occasionally when I browse Amazon UK

Here some images of it I managed to Google up

I'm considering starting an absolute collection, are they really worth getting? Or is it not really worth it because of the amount of double dipping I'd be doing? If I start down this road which ones are the hardest to get hold of and which ones are best avoided? Any advice would be appreciated

I'm considering starting an absolute collection, are they really worth getting? Or is it not really worth it because of the amount of double dipping I'd be doing? If I start down this road which ones are the hardest to get hold of and which ones are best avoided? Any advice would be appreciated
    I would pick one story available in Absolute where you love the art in particular (since having that in extra over-sized format is the main reason to get into Absolutes) and see how you like it. All Star Superman was my first and having Quitely's art at that size hooked me.

If you love Alex Ross' work, I would start with Kingdom Come and Justice. That's the best gateway into the Absolutes.

As far as I know, Crisis on Infinite Earths is the only Absolute that is definitely hard to get and OOO.

Spectacular Member

Same here!

Main question I have, though, is how do they compare to Dark Horse's library editions? Both in terms of size and book quality? Because those, to me, are the pinnacle of quality.

Incredible Member

There are a few Absolutes that are OoP, off the top of my head the following are OoP, some pop up pretty regularly on eBay and usually sell for pretty reasonable prices if you've got the patience
    • Authority 1 & 2
    • Planetary 1& 2
    • Promethea 1 (2 and 3 still seem to be readily available)
    • League of Extraordinary Gentleman 1 & 2
    • New Frontier
    • Kingdom Come
    • Crisis on infinite earths
    • Top 10 (Only released last year went OoP pretty quickly and I've only seen a couple copies hit eBay since)

You also have the two "proto" absolutes (that were released before the absolute line was launched but are the same size and style) JLA/Avengers and Worlds Greatest Superheros (a collection of Alex Ross stories) both are OoP and quite rare to pop up on eBay.

My first absolute was The Long Halloween, about 2 years ago, I now have 23 Absolute editions and I don't regret purchasing a single one of them.

Fantastic Member The_Dark_Knight's Avatar

^

You've forgotten what is probably the rarest and most OOP Absolute: Danger Girl.