View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    I finished King's Mister Miracle yesterday. Haven't entirely made up my mind on what I thought of it. I'll spoiler this, just in case...

spoilers:
    I was hoping to get an actual answer at the end of the book as to whether Scott is dead/alive/dreaming etc. I get King was leaving it up to the reader to decide and ponder on it, but I think I would've preferred an actual answer. Interesting book though but it didn't blow me away.
    end of spoilers
    I felt the same way. There's no real pay off or satisfying ending. And the presentation is something thats been done before, only better.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    I felt the same way. There's no real pay off or satisfying ending. And the presentation is something thats been done before, only better.
    I was very satisfied with the way it ended. Each to their own but I think it worked with the way he approached the subject matter.
    Where was this presentation done better btw? Not arguing I'm just curious.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Worlds Finest vol.2....does that complete the Silver Age for that title?
    This second omnibus ends with WF #158 from June 1966. I'm quite sure there'll be a third Silver Age omnibus, covering the remainder of this decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I was very satisfied with the way it ended. Each to their own but I think it worked with the way he approached the subject matter.
    Where was this presentation done better btw? Not arguing I'm just curious.
    I think just the deconstruction of a man. Miracleman comes to mind.

Something about spending an entire page watching Darksied eat a carrot from a veggie tray doesn't sit well.

Something about spending an entire page watching Darksied eat a carrot from a veggie tray doesn't sit well.
    Interesting, I really didn't care for Miracleman. Found it tedious to read but that was not helped by the format (standard hc). I don't think I've finished the first volume. Although recently I discovered I have no patience for earlier Alan Moore (Swamp Thing).
    Also I loved the carrot scene

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Interesting, I really didn't care for Miracleman. Found it tedious to read but that was not helped by the format (standard hc). I don't think I've finished the first volume.
    Oh, man...I read the whole series by Moore about a month ago. I loved it!

I agree with this. Pages like that did come across as trying a bit too hard to be funny, but it just didn't land with me. I'll give Mister Miracle another read through eventually to see if I feel different the second time around.

Miracleman was brilliant. I still live in hope of it a) being finished and b) getting an omnibus.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    I agree with this. Pages like that did come across as trying a bit too hard to be funny, but it just didn't land with me. I'll give Mister Miracle another read through eventually to see if I feel different the second time around.

Miracleman was brilliant. I still live in hope of it a) being finished and b) getting an omnibus.
    It was funny, but an entire page. Literally an entire page that's just one example. There are several others where the entire page is the same panel and maybe a few words of dialogue. The "Darksied is" got old really quick for me early on.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Some more cancellations from Edelweiss:

Wonder Woman Vol 1: The Just War HC
    Batman - Detective Comics: Dark Knight Vol 1 - Arkham Knight HC
    Batman Vol 10: Knightmares HC
    Flash Vol 10: Force Quest HC

These are all collections of current runs, so I can't see these being cancelled outright. More likely they will end up being paperback editions. I think that especially makes sense for Batman and Flash, which have been straight to paperback paperbacks up to this point.
    Not surprised at all on those. None of them made any sense.

I wanted the Wilson Wonder Woman.
    Pretty sure it will come out

It was funny, but an entire page. Literally an entire page that's just one example. There are several others where the entire page is the same panel and maybe a few words of dialogue. The "Darksied is" got old really quick for me early on.
    not to drag this out, because at the end of the day I liked it and you didn't and that's perfectly fine. I'm not even super crazy about the book, I do like it a lot and would like to see more people reading it (maybe after the hype dies down so less expectations) but it's not in my all time top ten.
    But!
    To me, personally, the "Darkside is" panels are a perfect representation of how my anxiety works.
    Everything is fine, life is chugging along and then I have a random thought in my head, popping in saying "it's all going to s#@t".
    Just like the "darkside is" panels did.
    It might added to my perspective that there is an analysis of Final crisis that puts Darkseid as the manifestation of depression and that view point always lingers in my head when I read anything with him (and probably that's why I hate the n52 Geoff Johns version or the Justice leage cartoon one that's based on John's JL run).

not to drag this out, because at the end of the day I liked it and you didn't and that's perfectly fine. I'm not even super crazy about the book, I do like it a lot and would like to see more people reading it (maybe after the hype dies down so less expectations) but it's not in my all time top ten.
    But!
    To me, personally, the "Darkside is" panels are a perfect representation of how my anxiety works.
    Everything is fine, life is chugging along and then I have a random thought in my head, popping in saying "it's all going to s#@t".
    Just like the "darkside is" panels did.
    It might added to my perspective that there is an analysis of Final crisis that puts Darkseid as the manifestation of depression and that view point always lingers in my head when I read anything with him (and probably that's why I hate the n52 Geoff Johns version or the Justice leage cartoon one that's based on John's JL run).
    Interesting. I'll definitely have to reread it then. Not right away, I'll let it "air out" a little, maybe have a friend borrow it and we can discuss it together.

I definitely do like the input/exchange though instead of the common "like it because its good" reviews ive been finding online.

Quote Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
    Not surprised at all on those. None of them made any sense.
    Knightmares and Force Quest are in tonight's solicits, as standard paperbacks with fewer issues.

Detective Comics is also there, but with fewer issues and a title change. Still a hard cover though.

I'm not sure why the Det Comics changes warranted a cancellation rather than just an update, but I don't know what terms the distributor has with DC.

No sign of Wilson's Wonder Woman in the August solicits, but it's bound to turn up in next month's solicits in some form.

And speaking of Wonder Woman, this will make some people very happy:

WONDER WOMAN BY GAIL SIMONE OMNIBUS HC
    written by GAIL SIMONE
    art by TERRY DODSON, BERNARD CHANG, AARON LOPRESTI, NICOLA SCOTT and others
    cover by NICOLA SCOTT
    In these tales of Wonder Woman written by Gail Simone, the Olympians declare war across the globe and only Wonder Woman can stop them! And Wonder Woman’s life is changed forever when she faces a monster named Genocide who easily beats her! Then, at the ends of the universe, Wonder Woman falls victim to the Black Horizon, risking the safety of her soul. To salvage her existence, she must ally herself with the legendary Beowulf. Collects Wonder Woman #14-44 (2008), #600, Sensation Comics featuring Wonder Woman #1 and a story from the WONDER WOMAN 75TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL #1.
    ON SALE 02.26.20
    $75.00 US | 816 PAGES

BANNED

Woohoo Gail Wonder Woman ! I will definetly get it.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    WONDER WOMAN BY GAIL SIMONE OMNIBUS HC
    written by GAIL SIMONE
    art by TERRY DODSON, BERNARD CHANG, AARON LOPRESTI, NICOLA SCOTT and others
    cover by NICOLA SCOTT
    In these tales of Wonder Woman written by Gail Simone, the Olympians declare war across the globe and only Wonder Woman can stop them! And Wonder Woman’s life is changed forever when she faces a monster named Genocide who easily beats her! Then, at the ends of the universe, Wonder Woman falls victim to the Black Horizon, risking the safety of her soul. To salvage her existence, she must ally herself with the legendary Beowulf. Collects Wonder Woman #14-44 (2008), #600, Sensation Comics featuring Wonder Woman #1 and a story from the WONDER WOMAN 75TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL #1.
    ON SALE 02.26.20
    $75.00 US | 816 PAGES
    Super excited for this one! And at a reasonable price point, no less? WTF is happening?!?!

Trying to get excited for the Booster Gold collection, but I have no idea why they decided to release it as a standard size $40 HC; I think that'll hurt pre-orders, and could lead to the books cancellation. But considering it'll only take 2 volumes to collect the whole series, I'm going to bite the bullet anyway and risk yet another orphaned collection from DC on my shelf...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES