View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Wow that's some serious rain on the parade right there. There's no way in hell I'm buying those if they're standard trim HCs. Very disappointing, I can't imagine what they're thinking by doing that.

DC collectecting department seems to just continue be a big old mess. They really need to have a meeting and figure out the plan moving forward and get back on track as of now I got no faith in any collection they solicit coming unless it is a trade collecting a current run.

Quote Originally Posted by T.D. View Post
    To be clear, the reason the price dropped is because it got downgraded from an oversized Omnibus to a standard-sized hardcover with less content.
    Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    Wait, what?! Why the hell would they...?
    Because DC.

Did we know about this?

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

A very sad day indeed for Omnibus and Superman fans. I was one of those who preordered (and paid upfront) the Omni through comic store/direct market channels

Marvel: contacts Omar who is a dedicated collector and has a huge network of people around him, to research what books have demand and reprints some highly requested gems and puts out more new material

DC: FINALLY puts out Swampy in ohc format but screws up the binding and completely recolors it without warning, puts the Byrne Superman in a standard hc, still continues to have binding issues with their omnibuses after like a decade of some of their books having better bindings ....and maybe does the icebucket challenge just to prove how out of touch they are?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    A very sad day indeed for Omnibus and Superman fans. I was one of those who preordered (and paid upfront) the Omni through comic store/direct market channels
    You (and anyone else who did that) should keep up with Diamond updates. If it is true and there's standard HC coming instead of omnibus, they should officially cancel the omni/update its price and description, but with those geniuses you never know and you may end up with a HC you don't want to pay for. It might even be less risky to just cancel the order yourself if it's not too late.
    Last edited by Pete Wisdom; 12-04-2019 at 03:35 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShooCat View Post
    Because DC.
    It's just such an objectively bad change. I can't think of any reason they'd apparently start down the path of something fans have been craving for years and years, then changing it to something so much worse. It's flabbergasting.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Marvel: contacts Omar who is a dedicated collector and has a huge network of people around him, to research what books have demand and reprints some highly requested gems and puts out more new material

DC: FINALLY puts out Swampy in ohc format but screws up the binding and completely recolors it without warning, puts the Byrne Superman in a standard hc, still continues to have binding issues with their omnibuses after like a decade of some of their books having better bindings ....and maybe does the icebucket challenge just to prove how out of touch they are?
    Are there any DC equivalents on boards/social media we can politely bring this up to? The guy in the screencap a few posts up?

If DC is wondering why their collected edition sales are down, they would do no better than see what people are saying in threads like this.

It's only a few days before comic shops' deadline for final initial orders on the Byrne Omnibus and people here don't know for certain if it's still going to be released or if DC are changing the content and format. Why would anyone pre-order something that might never end up happening? And this is by no means the first time that books have changed format or content before being released, if they get released at all.

DC need to get their act together. This constant chopping and changing is only harming them, and I really can't understand why they don't see this.

Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    It's just such an objectively bad change. I can't think of any reason they'd apparently start down the path of something fans have been craving for years and years, then changing it to something so much worse. It's flabbergasting.

Are there any DC equivalents on boards/social media we can politely bring this up to? The guy in the screencap a few posts up?
    I don't really know. Someone from Marvel was present on the MMW forums before and now they've approached Omar but haven't heard anything about DC, at all. Although I don't pay as much attention as I used to anymore.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

So, I've been looking forward to getting the new printing of Superman: The Golden Age Omnibus Volume 1 and found out they redesigned the dust jacket so it won't match the other 5 volumes I have of this collection. Doing further research, I found that any forthcoming Golden/Silver Omnis are doing what they've been doing with the recent Bronze Omnis - totally different look from prior volumes. This will really mess up my bookshelf...I like all volumes in a series to be consistent.

I mean, the books pre-release blurbs always stated it as recolored.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcok68 View Post
    I mean, the books pre-release blurbs always stated it as recolored.
    That's fair I wasn't paying attention I was just going by people's reactions.
    Did they release any samples tho?

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    So, I've been looking forward to getting the new printing of Superman: The Golden Age Omnibus Volume 1 and found out they redesigned the dust jacket so it won't match the other 5 volumes I have of this collection. Doing further research, I found that any forthcoming Golden/Silver Omnis are doing what they've been doing with the recent Bronze Omnis - totally different look from prior volumes. This will really mess up my bookshelf...I like all volumes in a series to be consistent.
    Change for change's sake is just silly. Especially when your target demographic are pretty much OCD (let's face it, we all are to a certain extent!)
    I'd like to hear the official reason why they chenged the DJ's on all these books. I thought the old layout was great - Light gold for GA, silver for SA, and dark gold/bronze for BA. Made perfect sense.

Now, you can always have custom dust jackets made for your new books to match the old if it REALLY bothers you, but then you're adding like another $30 (I think??) to the overall cost of the book.
    It's just silly.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

That's fair I wasn't paying attention I was just going by people's reactions.
    Did they release any samples tho?
    I think samples only popped up on amazon a week or two before release.