View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Based on the information published by comichron.com and ICV2.com, I thought it would be interesting to look at November’s sales from a macro level, instead of the estimated sales on specific books.

Unit sales
    DC took the top spot in unit sales, with the DCeased HC. They had one other entry in the Top 10; the Superman Year One HC, which ranked at #5.

Their two books in the Top 10 had combined sales estimated of 8,061 copies. Combined estimated sales for all Top 10 books was 34,490.

In the Top 500 best-selling titles, DC was the market leader with 29% of all unit sales. In terms of numbers, that’s an estimated 87,431 books. In comparison, Marvel's estimated sales in the Top 500 was 63,497 units. It seems that while DC didn’t do gangbusters at the top of the chart, they picked up business lower down.

I should just mention that there were sales outside the Top 500, but the information isn't available to us. So it isn't an accurate picture of the entire trade/HC market, but it gives us a good idea.

Dollar sales
    Considering revenue is what DC (presumably) bases their publishing decisions on, I thought it would be worthwhile to look at the available stats on dollar sales as well.

DC took 7 of the Top 10 slots when it comes to what sales in terms of dollars. They were:
    #2 – Crisis on Infinite Earths Box set ($500 cover price)
    #3 – Absolute Swamp Thing by Alan Moore Volume 1 ($100 cover price)
    #4 – Dceased HC ($30 cover price)
    #5 – Doom Patrol Bronze Age Omnibus ($100 cover price)
    #6 – Superman Year One HC ($30 cover price)
    #8 – Batman by Snyder & Capullo Omnibus Vol 1 ($100 cover price)
    #9 – New Teen Titans Omnibus Vol 4 ($100 cover price)

Unfortunately, there’s not a lot more we can look at in terms of dollar sales, because we only get the rankings, and not the actual sales values.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Did anyone purchase the Superman Year One by Miller & Romita Jr HC? Am I right in understanding from several pages back that this is an oversized HC, slightly bigger than the Deluxes but smaller than the Absolutes? Does anyone have any pics to post and any thoughts?

Incredible Member

Anyone have a favorite Absolute Edition?

Mine is definitely Swamp Thing, both for the story and the production values.
    It used to be the Morrison Batman and Robin, but I really only love the Quitely issues.

Court of Owls is also one of my favorites. I'm considering picking up Hush, despite not loving the narrative, and my runner ups would be Batman Inc and Watchmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    Anyone have a favorite Absolute Edition?

Mine is definitely Swamp Thing, both for the story and the production values.
    It used to be the Morrison Batman and Robin, but I really only love the Quitely issues.

Court of Owls is also one of my favorites. I'm considering picking up Hush, despite not loving the narrative, and my runner ups would be Batman Inc and Watchmen.
    My "absolute" favourite is Absolute DC: The New Frontier by Darwyn Cooke. Great story and fantastic art and colours. Totally suited to the Absolute format. Runners-up are probably Absolute Batman: The Long Halloween and Absolute All Star Superman.

I only have eight Absolutes and will probably stick solely with those unless they bring out one with one of my favourite stories.

DC's oversized collected editions estimated sales for November 2019:

5. Superman: Year One by Frank Miller & John Romita Jr OHC - 3,302
    18. Absolute Swamp Thing by Alan Moore Vol. 1 - 2,105
    43. Batman: The 1989 Movie Adaptation Deluxe Edition OHC - 1,343
    61. The Flash: 80 Years of the Fastest Man Alive Deluxe OHC - 1,082
    79. The New Teen Titans Vol. 4 Omnibus - 924
    82. Doom Patrol: The Bronze Age Omnibus - 885
    206. Crisis On Infinite Earths HC Box Set - 451
    222. Absolute DC: The New Frontier 15th Anniversary Edition - 434
    312. Flashpoint Box Set - 318
    349. Superman/Batman 80 Years Slipcase Set OHC - 292
    390. Batman & Robin by Peter J. Tomasi and Patrick Gleason Omnibus (2nd Printing) – 263

And those of you who were worried about last months sales for Batman by Snyder & Capullo Omnibus Vol. 1, don't, it shifted another 764 copies in November.

Courtesy of the folks over on the MMW Board, DC informed retailers about the following changes:

ABSOLUTE FABLES VOL. 1 HC (NOV190521) - This title is cancelled. This material will be solicited again in a different format.

BATMAN: THE GOLDEN AGE OMNIBUS VOL. 8 HC (JUL190629) - This title will be resolicited. All current orders are cancelled.

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES: THE ROAD TO THE LEGION TP (NOV190555) - This title is cancelled. This material will be solicited again in a different format.

SUPERMAN: MAN OF STEEL OMNIBUS BY JOHN BYRNE VOL. 1 HC (NOV190561) - This title is cancelled. This material will be solicited again in a different format.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Courtesy of the folks over on the MMW Board, DC informed retailers about the following changes:

BATMAN: THE GOLDEN AGE OMNIBUS VOL. 8 HC (JUL190629) - This title will be resolicited. All current orders are cancelled.
    My concern is that DC is going to alter the dust jacket to that new horrible pattern the GA Superman vol.1 reprint had. Please don't do that DC. Keep the dust jackets the same through this first printing of the material.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Just cancel every book and figure this out then start to release books again once you have a plan in place as its just absurd as this point anything HC solicited cannot be trusted.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post

ABSOLUTE FABLES VOL. 1 HC (NOV190521) - This title is cancelled. This material will be solicited again in a different format.

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES: THE ROAD TO THE LEGION TP (NOV190555) - This title is cancelled. This material will be solicited again in a different format.

SUPERMAN: MAN OF STEEL OMNIBUS BY JOHN BYRNE VOL. 1 HC (NOV190561) - This title is cancelled. This material will be solicited again in a different format.
    I have a feeling Absolute Fables may become Fables Omnibus (which is probably a better idea anyway). The issues in the Road to Legion trade will probably just get absorbed into the first LoSH by Bendis proper hc.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Absolute New Frontier

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Did anyone purchase the Superman Year One by Miller & Romita Jr HC? Am I right in understanding from several pages back that this is an oversized HC, slightly bigger than the Deluxes but smaller than the Absolutes? Does anyone have any pics to post and any thoughts?
    This is correct, as is Batman Damned. They're kinda funky sized to be honest? Like, as tall as a deluxe/omnibus, but wider. They're weird. I'll try to get pics up in a few days if someone doesn't before me

Apparently, this latest batch of cancellations and changes is because the collected editions department is "resetting the slate" and there might be a few more changes on the way.

https://twitter.com/Kanalz/status/1205224978074849280

AT&T is resetting targets, most likely. Take no risks. Maximize revenues with minimal investment.

All I can do is shrug and give my money to Marvel in place of the Omni's I had planned to buy from DC.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I have a feeling Absolute Fables may become Fables Omnibus (which is probably a better idea anyway). The issues in the Road to Legion trade will probably just get absorbed into the first LoSH by Bendis proper hc.
    Well, I sold my Fables HCs because of the Absolute, that's sad!! But yeah, an omnibus will make a lot more sense to a huge series like that. Anyway, I would love to see 1001 Nights of Snowfall absolute-sized.

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    This is correct, as is Batman Damned. They're kinda funky sized to be honest? Like, as tall as a deluxe/omnibus, but wider. They're weird. I'll try to get pics up in a few days if someone doesn't before me
    Many thanks for the reply ER Prest. I look forward to the pics.