View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lirica View Post
    I hope so too! This is the first of Waid's Flash books I was able to get. I plan on getting the previous ones, but would definitely like any future ones too. I'd love a complete set!
    Same here! I also really hope they eventually release the earlier Baron and William Messner-Loebs runs of Wally's time as the Flash (Flash 1-61 and Annuals 1-3)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    Same here! I also really hope they eventually release the earlier Baron and William Messner-Loebs runs of Wally's time as the Flash (Flash 1-61 and Annuals 1-3)
    If we get Flash by Waid v7-8 (or by Waid and Augustyn v1-2) properly done, we'd have Flash 62-225 all in "Flash by XXX" volumes. Sure, there are a couple fill-in issues that wouldn't technically fall within the "by Waid" rubric, but it'd be silly for DC to omit a couple issues from the run. Once that's all out, it'd make some sense to go back and do a "That's where it all started" collection since there's clearly an audience for Wally archival material (and equally clearly, no non-archival Wally material worth reprinting).
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    I know nothing of their runs tbh, but absolutely they should be collected!

The Baron/Messner-Loebs stuff is so trippy compared to Waid/Johns. Wally is a smug womanizer, his powers seemingly come and go at will (an exaggeration, but I think he loses them like three times in those first 60 issues), that thing when he starts growing spikes out of his body, Chunk, the Captain Cold Detective Agency (or whatever the heck it was called), both his crazy mom and his even crazier father... the supporting cast in general is just interesting. Doesn't he hang out a lot with his accountant? And that old vigilante? Waid definitely did some spring cleaning with the cast when he came aboard. Glad he kept Linda around, of course.

I totally recommend Baron/Messner-Loebs' run, btw. It's trippy, and different, but I enjoyed it. It captures the point of being a young superhero taking over the mantle of a fallen mentor really well. I'm pretty sure Jay was dead at the time, so he really didn't have the support system Waid would later give him with the Flash family. It was just Wally, figuring it all out.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

The cover for DC UNIVERSE: THE BRONZE AGE OMNIBUS BY JACK KIRBY:

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

^^^^
    This Omni, DC Universe by Jack Kirby Bronze Age, is going to contain material that hasn't been reprinted in some time and wouldn't be still if Kirby's name wasn't on it, yeah? So, opinions on some of this stuff? Original Sandman? OMAC? Losers(was this the title Warren Ellis updated)? ATLAS? Spirit World?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    ^^^^
    This Omni, DC Universe by Jack Kirby Bronze Age, is going to contain material that hasn't been reprinted in some time and wouldn't be still if Kirby's name wasn't on it, yeah? So, opinions on some of this stuff? Original Sandman? OMAC? Losers(was this the title Warren Ellis updated)? ATLAS? Spirit World?
    Diggle updated the Losers. Demon is great, OMAC is a fun read.

I lost belief in anything D C solicits when
    It comes to omnibuses

I should have Impulse omnibus...... I do not
    I should have Justice Leauge Of America Bronze Age vol.3 omnibus.....I do not
    I should have Hush omnibus .......... I do not
    I should have New Teen Titans vol.4 omnibus.......I do not
    The list grows and grows And the
    Re-re-re-re-issuing of watch Men and
    Dark Knight Returns and Neal Adams
    Green Lantern / Green Arrow soldier on

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    I should have Impulse omnibus...... I do not
    I should have Justice Leauge Of America Bronze Age vol.3 omnibus.....I do not
    I should have Hush omnibus .......... I do not
    I should have New Teen Titans vol.4 omnibus.......I do not
    The list grows and grows And the
    Re-re-re-re-issuing of watch Men and
    Dark Knight Returns and Neal Adams
    Green Lantern / Green Arrow soldier on
    Yes, that's very depressing!

Looks like DC is abandoning all the plans they may have had with omnibus (and many TPB) releases. Not only did they cancel Hush, Batman Brave And Bold Vol. 3 and JLA Vol. 3, but there are also no announcements regarding further Flash, Green Lantern, Supergirl, Legion Of Super Heroes etc. omnibusses, so I guess this whole thing is coming to a complete and quite abrupt stop.

But yes, of course we are getting black label, DC Essential, Anniversary, Deluxe and Absolute Editions of Dark Knight Returns and similar stuff. DC's release strategy (if there is any) is just a complete, messy catastrophe

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Golden Age Batman vol.7 Omni is now up at IST
    I just placed my order.

The finish line is near. Rumor mill is that the GA Batman line only needs 9 total volumes to complete. So if DC does 2 more volumes next year like they've done this year we will be ready for Silver Age Batman Omnis in 2021!!! Superman is a volume behind, volume 6 this summer, if its also going to be 9 volumes(no rumor mill on that that I've heard). WW is 7 volumes, volume 4 comes out later this year.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Golden Age Batman vol.7 Omni is now up at IST
    I just placed my order.

The finish line is near. Rumor mill is that the GA Batman line only needs 9 total volumes to complete. So if DC does 2 more volumes next year like they've done this year we will be ready for Silver Age Batman Omnis in 2021!!! Superman is a volume behind, volume 6 this summer, if its also going to be 9 volumes(no rumor mill on that that I've heard). WW is 7 volumes, volume 4 comes out later this year.
    I'm also excited to see the GA Batman finally get completed soon in omnibus format! I'm hoping they continuing with the two a year schedule so that we get vol 8 will in Dec and vol 9 in June 2020 so that our first silver age omni can come out in Dec 2020!

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

DC's Oversized Collected Editions sales in May 2019:

127. Absolute Batman: The Black Mirror - 712
    136. Crisis On Infinite Earths Companion Deluxe Vol. 2 OHC - 670
    159. Superman Rebirth Deluxe Collection OHC Book 4 - 591
    187. Wonder Woman by Azzarello & Chiang Omnibus - 509

Quote Originally Posted by shaboo View Post
    Yes, that's very depressing!

Looks like DC is abandoning all the plans they may have had with omnibus (and many TPB) releases. Not only did they cancel Hush, Batman Brave And Bold Vol. 3 and JLA Vol. 3, but there are also no announcements regarding further Flash, Green Lantern, Supergirl, Legion Of Super Heroes etc. omnibusses, so I guess this whole thing is coming to a complete and quite abrupt stop.

But yes, of course we are getting black label, DC Essential, Anniversary, Deluxe and Absolute Editions of Dark Knight Returns and similar stuff. DC's release strategy (if there is any) is just a complete, messy catastrophe
    But are the cancelations reflected by sales numbers? I get the Dark Knight returns sells, but enough to warrant a new edition every six months? At this rate, is anyone still buying these?

My copy of Blackest Night, 10th Anniversary Omnibus has just been delivered... This is one serious slab of reading material!