View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    I'm surprised that 2 Ellis collections are being released in that month considering the recent controversy
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Selective outrage syndrome

Ehhh those books were probably already printed and on their way to the States/distribution centers when everything came to light

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Ehhh those books were probably already printed and on their way to the States/distribution centers when everything came to light
    Even the Gerard Jones Green Lantern Volume 1 was printed a month after his arrest. The planned Volume 2 had been solicited, but was cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Even the Gerard Jones Green Lantern Volume 1 was printed a month after his arrest. The planned Volume 2 had been solicited, but was cancelled.
    I think it was released a month after, right? Which is a bit different than being printed.

But it's all semantics at this point

Fantastic Member

The Authority was originally supposed to be released in July, but this is the first time this Transmetropolitan volume is offered.

What’s the deal with Milligan’s Shade the Changing Man? It’s never been collected in HC and hasn’t been collected in years. I am a huge Bachalo fan and want this so bad! The run is supposed to be a wild trip too. Could it have something to do with Ditko, who created the character?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    What’s the deal with Milligan’s Shade the Changing Man? It’s never been collected in HC and hasn’t been collected in years. I am a huge Bachalo fan and want this so bad! The run is supposed to be a wild trip too. Could it have something to do with Ditko, who created the character?
    DC/Vertigo released 3 trades of this some 10+ years ago, but the rest of the series has never been collected in any format. Presumably the sales figures were low enough that any plans for a 4th trade and beyond were scrapped. \

The best chance for a complete collection in trades was probably when Shade, the Changing Girl came out under Young Animal a few years back. However, no trades emerged. We will probably never get a completed trade run unless Shade gets successfully adapted into a TV show or movie.

Quote Originally Posted by fillmont View Post
    DC/Vertigo released 3 trades of this some 10+ years ago, but the rest of the series has never been collected in any format. Presumably the sales figures were low enough that any plans for a 4th trade and beyond were scrapped. \

The best chance for a complete collection in trades was probably when Shade, the Changing Girl came out under Young Animal a few years back. However, no trades emerged. We will probably never get a completed trade run unless Shade gets successfully adapted into a TV show or movie.
    I have the TPBs but I’m thinking of taking the whole run and just having them bound into a hardcover at Houchen Bindery.

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    Agreed, similarly when Jonah Hex and the JSA both appeared on Legends of Tomorrow it would have been a perfect time to get some releases out (high end reprints or cheaper paperbacks) but they did nothing. IIRC they only had one Aquaman deluxe edition book out when Aquaman movie was released

And then there is material fans have wanted for years (Byrne Superman, Robinson's Starman, JLI) that they continually have issues with that just makes people less likely to buy the material
    When the Wonder Woman movie was released, it felt like the collections were coming out, and they were taking a step in right direction... But then again she's in the Big Three and Wonder Woman was highly praised. Starman for example could be released all at once and be done with. The Flash is another example where the Waid and John's run were re-released, but again... The show did exceptionally well.

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    I have the TPBs but I’m thinking of taking the whole run and just having them bound into a hardcover at Houchen Bindery.
    You’ll need more than one hardcover to collect the whole series. When I bound it I did it in three.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    When the Wonder Woman movie was released, it felt like the collections were coming out, and they were taking a step in right direction... But then again she's in the Big Three and Wonder Woman was highly praised. Starman for example could be released all at once and be done with. The Flash is another example where the Waid and John's run were re-released, but again... The show did exceptionally well.
    Don’t forget the plethora of Supergirl volumes that came once the show began. Silver Age, Daring Adventures, on through the present. They also finally did Grell’s Green Arrow run and actually completed it. Perhaps the new Stargirl show will finally be the thing that gets Robinson’s Starman reprinted, but I remain skeptical.

But yeah, those above tend to be the exception, rather than the rule. The choice of what to put into an omni can be extremely confusing at times; for example, I love Nightwing, but is there really a larger market for a New 52 Nightwing omni than Byrne’s Superman?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    With the recent DC layoff news - its not far-fetched to say that something as obscure as the Milligan Shade run will NEVER be collected. I recently took the plunge and bought the full run in floppies at my LCS. It might be the time to do the same with other offbeat DC runs as well...
    Last edited by Destro777; 08-16-2020 at 05:53 PM.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

If DC is never going to collect certain (acclaimed!) runs — and I agree it seems increasingly unlikely — I really wish DC would get their digital game together. DC Universe is great — if you want to read stuff they’ve already scanned. But there are some insane gaps in their runs of their stalwart heroes (Superman, Batman, GL, Flash). I’d pay for a premium package if it meant getting Vertigo on there. I get not wanting to invest in printing collections of EVERYTHING, but it’s 2020. Let’s get this stuff on a digital platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
    You’ll need more than one hardcover to collect the whole series. When I bound it I did it in three.

Don’t forget the plethora of Supergirl volumes that came once the show began. Silver Age, Daring Adventures, on through the present. They also finally did Grell’s Green Arrow run and actually completed it. Perhaps the new Stargirl show will finally be the thing that gets Robinson’s Starman reprinted, but I remain skeptical.

But yeah, those above tend to be the exception, rather than the rule. The choice of what to put into an omni can be extremely confusing at times; for example, I love Nightwing, but is there really a larger market for a New 52 Nightwing omni than Byrne’s Superman?
    DC has a problem in general for older collections... Superman by Byrne has no excuse for being released. Anything New 52 honestly surprises me being in a new collection, given that DC is somewhat trying to forget that it ever happen (at least it feels that way).

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Not seeing GA Long Bow Hunters Omni on IST yet?
    Delayed like some others?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Not seeing GA Long Bow Hunters Omni on IST yet?
    Delayed like some others?
    Morrsion's Batman Omni vol 3 is a no show too - unless it already sold out.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Amazing Member

Green Arrow has shown as 9/2 on their release schedule for a long time which is what Amazon says also.