View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 268 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 1682182582642652662672682692702712722783183687681268 ... LastLast
Results 4,006 to 4,020 of 21674

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Not a good price considering it has a $75 rrp.
    Thanks for the answer, victor. Time to look for more offers, then!

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I was also a bit up in the air about purchasing it, but Speedyhen had it a great preorder price of around £31 which worked out at 41% of the original GBP price. What did convince me, though, was that it contained DC's Showcase #4, deemed to be the first comic of the silver age and the first appearance of Barry Allen, the marker defined as the start of the silver age.

With regards to the Silver Age GL Omnibuses, there was a time when they were going for pretty cheap but now it would seem the prices are steadily increasing.

I have not read a whole lot of Silver Age DC in quite some time, but I know with Marvel I'm almost always disappointed with maybe the exception being Amazing Spider-Man. The stories are too wordy and often very, very silly. At least by today's standards. Unfortunately, I tend to forget this and I'll buy an omnibus with full intention of reading it, but by the time I'm halfway through, I'm really just looking at the pictures, trying to make it to the end if only to justify the purchase.

I do see what you mean, however, that Showcase # 4 can be a deal maker.

And the classics are good because they lay the groundwork for much of today's stories (at least with Marvel, it's hit or miss with DC because of the New 52).

I also thought about grabbing the Golden Age Superman. I've always heard those were fun stories, but recently I've been picking up Marvel's Miracle Man reprints and they contain a lot of these Golden Age MM stories and they're OK for awhile, but eventually, I'm back to staring at pictures. LOL.

Who knows. I suspect my curiosity will eventually get the better of me and my wallet.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Just had some ideas for further Batman-related Deluxe editions:
    -Batman The Cult
    -Batman Blind Justice
    -other classic LOTDK stories
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Amazing Member

I started reading my Planetary Omnibus last week and I'm having a really hard time getting into it. I've made it to around issue 7. Does the book get more exciting or does the tone stay the same throughout the rest of the series?

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kdjac0434 View Post
    I started reading my Planetary Omnibus last week and I'm having a really hard time getting into it. I've made it to around issue 7. Does the book get more exciting or does the tone stay the same throughout the rest of the series?
    Kinda, yes, as the one-shot format turns into more of an ongoing plot. If you still don't like it by #13/#14 you'll probably not like the rest.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

What victorxd1999 said. Although I think #7 is really really good and well executed (I love the subtle reveal on the last pages)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I have not read a whole lot of Silver Age DC in quite some time, but I know with Marvel I'm almost always disappointed with maybe the exception being Amazing Spider-Man. The stories are too wordy and often very, very silly. At least by today's standards. Unfortunately, I tend to forget this and I'll buy an omnibus with full intention of reading it, but by the time I'm halfway through, I'm really just looking at the pictures, trying to make it to the end if only to justify the purchase.

And the classics are good because they lay the groundwork for much of today's stories (at least with Marvel, it's hit or miss with DC because of the New 52).

I also thought about grabbing the Golden Age Superman. I've always heard those were fun stories, but recently I've been picking up Marvel's Miracle Man reprints and they contain a lot of these Golden Age MM stories and they're OK for awhile, but eventually, I'm back to staring at pictures. LOL.

Who knows. I suspect my curiosity will eventually get the better of me and my wallet.
    Totally feel the same way most of the time, really had to fight my way through silver age FF but i kind of started to appreciate it about 3/4 through.

So i was curious, what are the opinions on the best silver age dc comics to grab? Are flash and jla actually any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    What victorxd1999 said. Although I think #7 is really really good and well executed (I love the subtle reveal on the last pages)
    Yeah #7 was awesome and I loved #3 as well. #21 is still the best though.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post

Ha, very true, it's the same for me! From today's viewpoint there are almost no golden or silver age comics which really are worth reading. Anyway, I buy them for historical and sentimental reasons. Also, as a fan and collector, you need to know (and own) the classics.

Amazing Member

Thanks guys. I'll read through 7 and see what I think. If I don't like it you can find it on ebay in a few days

Thanks guys. I'll read through 7 and see what I think. If I don't like it you can find it on ebay in a few days
    Keep us updated

Amazing Member

I recently acquired the acetate version of Batman Death of the Family.

Any other acetate versions I should be on the look out for, Batman or not?

Also acquired Batman Archives and The Dark Knight Archives volumes 1. I was gonna collect the Chronicles series, but volume 2 has it's price jacked all the way past a hundred bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by heatvision View Post
    I recently acquired the acetate version of Batman Death of the Family.

Any other acetate versions I should be on the look out for, Batman or not?

Also acquired Batman Archives and The Dark Knight Archives volumes 1. I was gonna collect the Chronicles series, but volume 2 has it's price jacked all the way past a hundred bucks.
    Well, the original hardcover edition of superman: for all seasons had a really cool acetate DJ. Of course there's little point in buying it now that the Deluxe edition is out.

It's likely that it will take three omnibuses to collect the Geoff Johns Green Lantern run. Is it fair to assume the Brightest Day arc will not be collected again since it already has its own omnibus?

Incredible Member

^ More than likely.