View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Hank View Post
    I think someone said it got delayed a week or two.
    It is the same contents as the Batman Inc Absolute except it also includes Batman: The Return one shot by Morrison which is only in print in floppies I believe.

Spectacular Member

Update to what I said previously. IST will now have the Morrison omni on 9/1 so pushed back two weeks. Not sure about CGN.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lodebone View Post
    It is the same contents as the Batman Inc Absolute except it also includes Batman: The Return one shot by Morrison which is only in print in floppies I believe.
    Yes, you're right! I forgot. They are not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    I already have the absolute (Which I prefer), so I'll pass on that omnibus.
    My bad. Absolute Inc =/= Morrison Vol 3......there's a one-issue disparity

I felt and still feel The Return, which starts off in Yemen (so an international mission) and introduces us to Leviathan and Heretic and Traktir, is the real first issue of Inc (Batman even explains the purpose of Inc in it) and I argued via email to DC that Vol 3 reflect that.

The Return IMHO operates as a #0 for a Inc (vol 1).....(because Inc (vol 2, New 52) did have a #0!)
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 08-24-2020 at 03:34 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Just curious, how many here only buy older stories collected versus how many buy the current story arcs? And of course how many are a mix of both?

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Yes, you're right! I forgot. They are not the same.

My bad. Absolute Inc =/= Morrison Vol 3......there's a one-issue disparity

I felt and still feel The Return, which starts off in Yemen (so an international mission) and introduces us to Leviathan and Heretic and Traktir, is the real first issue of Inc (Batman even explains the purpose of Inc in it) and I argued via email to DC that Vol 3 reflect that.

The Return IMHO operates as a #0 for a Inc (vol 1).....(because Inc (vol 2, New 52) did have a #0!)

You did a great service for us all.....I'm still not going to get the omnibus, even though The Return is integral to the storyline (I don't get why they didn't include it in the absolute!).....I just can't justify buying the omnibus, at that price, just for one issue, no matter how important that issue is, when I already bought the absolute. Deep down inside, I will weep like an abused stepchild, but this is the stand I have to take.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    Just curious, how many here only buy older stories collected versus how many buy the current story arcs? And of course how many are a mix of both?
    I do a mix of both. I don't buy too many older stories, but if something like Morrison's Seven Soldiers omnibus or Warren Ellis's Hellstrom omnibus is released, I snatch that **** up.....I also still buy single issues, and if I like the current storyline enough, I then double-dip by buying the omnibus (Or basic hardcover if I don't think there's an omnibus on the horizon). Sometimes, I'll buy both the smaller hardcovers, and the eventual omnibus, then give the basic hardcovers away to people I think will enjoy them, because I think such selfless acts will prevent me from going to hell (I kid, I kid. I'm not religious).

You did a great service for us all.....I'm still not going to get the omnibus, even though The Return is integral to the storyline (I don't get why they didn't include it in the absolute!).....
    Like with the deluxe editions, they included The Return in Absolute Batman & Robin, rather than with Inc. But I agree, its much more of a prologue to Inc than an ending to Batman & Robin.
    Last edited by Dick Grayson; 08-25-2020 at 04:24 AM.

Mighty Member

I'm a mix depending on how you define old. I read mostly post-COIE, but probably 60% is between there and IC
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Incredible Member

Just received a shipping notification from Amazon DE for the Batman by Morrison Omnibus 3. I pre-ordered in December 2019 and originally they had stated a delivery date of 8 September but now it's on the way already

When I went back to the site to check whether pre-ordering actually saved me anything, it was only available from 3rd party sellers, but not Amazon DE itself. So maybe they only got a limited supply for the moment.

Looking forward to having the entire run to read.

Astonishing Member

Almost all of the collections I get are Post Crisis era. I've ordered Green Arrow by Grell, JLI vol 2, LoSH 5 YL, Absolute Swamp Thing by Moore Vol 2, Flash: Savage Velocity, Power of Shazam, and the Dark Knight/Caped Crusader volumes. The only new collection I'm getting is Jimmy Olsen by Fraction.

New 52 really killed my interest in DC. I checked out some of the Rebirth titles, but quickly lost interest again.

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    I'm a mix depending on how you define old. I read mostly post-COIE, but probably 60% is between there and IC
    I guess older would be more accurate. Anything before the New 52.

Incredible Member

Depends on what you mean by current arcs - only collected editions or do you mean buying single issues as they come out?

Personally I do collect older and newer material in omnibus or other collected editions but I not collect single issues. If I had a series that is being published now and that I absolutely had to read, I would probably only read digitally.

As for DC and Vertigo collected editions, the oldest material that I have collected is Neal Adams' Batman. Other than that, the oldest DC is Bronze Age / early 1980s. However, that is very limited and just because I had a specific interest, e.g. Fourth World by Kirby to better understand the New Gods etc., Swamp Thing Bronze Age because it's Swampy and I have the Aquaman Death of a Prince OHC because that was a comic I owned as a kid. All other DC stuff is from the 1980s onwards but mostly more modern stuff.

As for Marvel collected editions, I do have new material as well as Silver Age omnibus editions of Spider-Man, Thor, Fantastic Four and Avengers but the first FF omnibus turned me off Silver Age for a long time because it was so terribly dated and childish. The second omnibus was a little better so I hope that I have built some sort of tolerance for it

As for other publishers (Dark Horse, Image, Humanoids etc.) I only have more recent material.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Depends on what you mean by current arcs - only collected editions or do you mean buying single issues as they come out?

Personally I do collect older and newer material in omnibus or other collected editions but I not collect single issues. If I had a series that is being published now and that I absolutely had to read, I would probably only read digitally.

As for DC and Vertigo collected editions, the oldest material that I have collected is Neal Adams' Batman. Other than that, the oldest DC is Bronze Age / early 1980s. However, that is very limited and just because I had a specific interest, e.g. Fourth World by Kirby to better understand the New Gods etc., Swamp Thing Bronze Age because it's Swampy and I have the Aquaman Death of a Prince OHC because that was a comic I owned as a kid. All other DC stuff is from the 1980s onwards but mostly more modern stuff.

As for Marvel collected editions, I do have new material as well as Silver Age omnibus editions of Spider-Man, Thor, Fantastic Four and Avengers but the first FF omnibus turned me off Silver Age for a long time because it was so terribly dated and childish. The second omnibus was a little better so I hope that I have built some sort of tolerance for it

As for other publishers (Dark Horse, Image, Humanoids etc.) I only have more recent material.
    Mainly collected editions but you can include the floppies as well. I realize they're a few months behind but the "latest" trade for the current ongoing series. Mainly curious because it seems a majority of discussion/questions here revolve around "new" collections for older comics versus just the "new" collections for current ongoings. Which is fine either way, I myself haven't found anything current worthy of getting or waiting for (Even Morrison's GL I'm on the fence about based on the reviews. Maybe Doom Patrol but that's over anyway) and I find myself more and more interested in the older stories that have stood the test of time/nostalgia.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

You did a great service for us all.
    Artist Chris Burnham did a great service to us all. On old CBR, he posted a "Morrison supergeek" reading order for Morrison's Act II (700-702, RoBW, B&R) and I never forgot it and reminded DC of it (even sent them print ups of the post), and argued for it, just as Chris did. He didn't lump The Return with Act II and I noticed that and I realized, whether a deliberate omisssion or not by Chris, it made immense sense as B&R #16 ends that Act II perfectly by itself (on top of The Return fitting way more with Inc/Act III).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 08-25-2020 at 09:58 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Spectacular Member

Not seeing the spectre omnibus on IST. Checked at 2:05. I’m thinking no way did this disappear in five mins. Has this been delayed as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Nab432 View Post
    Not seeing the spectre omnibus on IST. Checked at 2:05. I’m thinking no way did this disappear in five mins. Has this been delayed as well?
    Word from other sites is it was pushed to next week, as was Green Arrow by Grell and maybe some other books.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.