View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 02:55 PM.

Some more cancellations according to the Edelweiss catalogues:

Wonder Woman: Blood and Guts, collecting the first 12 issues of the New 52 series.
    Batman: Death of the Family Saga, collecting the Death of the Family event.
    Batman: Family, collecting the 8 issue mini
    Batman: Gotham after Midnight 10th Anniversary edition, collecting the 12 issue series.
    Batman: Dark Prince Charming (paperback edition of recent hardcover)
    Batman: Zero Year - The Complete Collection
    Batman/Superman: World's Finest Team-ups
    Freedom Fighters Vol 1: Death of a Nation (would have collected the first half of the current series)
    Harley Loves Joker by Paul Dini (paperback edition of the recent hardcover)
    Justice League: Unite the League, collecting the first 12 issues of the New52 series
    Brave and the Bold: Batman and Wonder Woman (paperback edition of the recent hardcover)
    Flash: Reverse Warfare, collecting #13 to 24 of the New 52 series. (Would have been a follow up on the Starting Line Essential Edition)

Most of these hadn't been solicited to comic shops yet, so low orders may not have been the reason for the cancellations. That said, I'd guess single issue sales on the Freedom Fighters series are such that DC doesn't think a collection is even worth soliciting. Blood and Guts, Death of the Family, and the Zero Year collections are almost certainly cancelled because this material will be published in omnibuses in the next 6 months.

Hmm. I wanted The Brave and the Bold, but I will wait until DC sees fit to print a trade of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    I had them all apart from, I think, Danger Girl and Promethea, but it was a collector thing as I realised half of them were crap and I was just getting them for the sake of it, stopped after Killing Joke, still getting Swamp Thing but must of sold off more than half of my Absolutes now
    I did the same thing. I didn't have as many as you, but I owned a good few.

For me personally, I just realized the significant price markup wasn't worth the extra size and slipcase. The 11 inch Deluxe/Omnibus trim size is substantial enough for me. I realized I'd rather sell off my Absolutes and get the same material in Deluxe format (as most, if not all, stories exist in both formats) and pocket the cash to invest in other books. For instance, I sold my two Absolute Planetary volumes for about $1150 total and bought the Planetary Omnibus for under $40.

The only Absolutes I now own are All-Star Superman (which, oddly, doesn't exist in the deluxe format-- I love the story enough to keep this one though, even if they eventually do), Watchmen (my first Absolute, which I'm happy to hold on to due to sentimental value), and the two recent Authority volumes (which I got crazy good deals-- I paid less than what I'd pay for the upcoming Omnibus on IST day one).

Gotta agree with you on the Absolute books. The first one I got was Watchmen also, which I wouldn't trade for anything. The art is beautiful at that size and it's my favorite comic in general, so I'm very happy with it. And I thought I wanted to get as many Absolutes as I could.

But after getting a few of DC's deluxe books, I really like those and decided to get stuff in that trim instead, like V for Vendetta. Nice size, binding, and much better price. The only absolute I regret not getting was LOEG #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Some more cancellations according to the Edelweiss catalogues:

Wonder Woman: Blood and Guts, collecting the first 12 issues of the New 52 series.
    Batman: Death of the Family Saga, collecting the Death of the Family event.
    Batman: Family, collecting the 8 issue mini
    Batman: Gotham after Midnight 10th Anniversary edition, collecting the 12 issue series.
    Batman: Dark Prince Charming (paperback edition of recent hardcover)
    Batman: Zero Year - The Complete Collection
    Batman/Superman: World's Finest Team-ups
    Freedom Fighters Vol 1: Death of a Nation (would have collected the first half of the current series)
    Harley Loves Joker by Paul Dini (paperback edition of the recent hardcover)
    Justice League: Unite the League, collecting the first 12 issues of the New52 series
    Brave and the Bold: Batman and Wonder Woman (paperback edition of the recent hardcover)
    Flash: Reverse Warfare, collecting #13 to 24 of the New 52 series. (Would have been a follow up on the Starting Line Essential Edition)

Most of these hadn't been solicited to comic shops yet, so low orders may not have been the reason for the cancellations. That said, I'd guess single issue sales on the Freedom Fighters series are such that DC doesn't think a collection is even worth soliciting. Blood and Guts, Death of the Family, and the Zero Year collections are almost certainly cancelled because this material will be published in omnibuses in the next 6 months.

That's a shame on Freedom Fighters & Batman: Family.....I was looking forward to finally getting Batman: Family in collected form.

As for Freedom Fighters, it's actually not a bad series. Eddy Barrows is killing it on the art front, whereas Venditti's doing an alright job with the storyline. Although the series has its flaws and it's not one of the best comics I've read, by any means, it's definitely one of the better FF stories I've read. It deserves a larger following (and tpbs).

Quote Originally Posted by T.D. View Post
    I did the same thing. I didn't have as many as you, but I owned a good few.

For me personally, I just realized the significant price markup wasn't worth the extra size and slipcase. The 11 inch Deluxe/Omnibus trim size is substantial enough for me. I realized I'd rather sell off my Absolutes and get the same material in Deluxe format (as most, if not all, stories exist in both formats) and pocket the cash to invest in other books. For instance, I sold my two Absolute Planetary volumes for about $1150 total and bought the Planetary Omnibus for under $40.

The only Absolutes I now own are All-Star Superman (which, oddly, doesn't exist in the deluxe format-- I love the story enough to keep this one though, even if they eventually do), Watchmen (my first Absolute, which I'm happy to hold on to due to sentimental value), and the two recent Authority volumes (which I got crazy good deals-- I paid less than what I'd pay for the upcoming Omnibus on IST day one).
    The Absolutes I own are All-Star Superman, Justice, Transmetropolitan, Watchmen, V For Vendetta, New Frontier, and I think that's it.

Personally, I love the Absolute format. It's expensive, but I compare it to Criterion Collection versions of blurays. It's higher in price (Especially since it'll have a maximum of 12-issues, whereas omnis tend to have far more content), but if you truly appreciate the art-form and the actual work inside, it's worth it.

Are the White Knight and Mister Miracle hardcovers being released today oversized/deluxe, or standard?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Are the White Knight and Mister Miracle hardcovers being released today oversized/deluxe, or standard?
    Been asking this since they were announced to no avail. Even asked Tom King when he posted about it on IG, but got no response.

My conclusion: No.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    Been asking this since they were announced to no avail. Even asked Tom King when he posted about it on IG, but got no response.

If they aren't labelled Deluxe, they are almost definitely standard. DC know they are onto a winner with King's Mister Miracle, therefore rhey want to sell a ton in TPB and standard HC. The deluxe will be forthcoming as will be the Absolute.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

DC's Omnibus/Absolute sales figures for April 2019:

68. The Death & Return of Superman Omnibus (3rd Edition) - 899
    100. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Jubilee Edition - 682
    105. World’s Finest: Batman & Superman – The Silver Age Omnibus Vol. 2 - 652
    216. Absolute Scarlet - 332

I finished King's Mister Miracle yesterday. Haven't entirely made up my mind on what I thought of it. I'll spoiler this, just in case...

spoilers:
    I was hoping to get an actual answer at the end of the book as to whether Scott is dead/alive/dreaming etc. I get King was leaving it up to the reader to decide and ponder on it, but I think I would've preferred an actual answer. Interesting book though but it didn't blow me away.
    end of spoilers
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    DC's Omnibus/Absolute sales figures for April 2019:

68. The Death & Return of Superman Omnibus (3rd Edition) - 899

105. World’s Finest: Batman & Superman – The Silver Age Omnibus Vol. 2 - 652
    Just shy 900 units on a third print the first month is really good for D&R of Supes
    Worlds Finest vol.2....does that complete the Silver Age for that title? I'm drawing a blank.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    If they aren't labelled Deluxe, they are almost definitely standard. DC know they are onto a winner with King's Mister Miracle, therefore rhey want to sell a ton in TPB and standard HC. The deluxe will be forthcoming as will be the Absolute.
    Saw both in my LCS today and can confirm they are both standard trim size.

Some more cancellations from Edelweiss:

Wonder Woman Vol 1: The Just War HC
    Batman - Detective Comics: Dark Knight Vol 1 - Arkham Knight HC
    Batman Vol 10: Knightmares HC
    Flash Vol 10: Force Quest HC

These are all collections of current runs, so I can't see these being cancelled outright. More likely they will end up being paperback editions. I think that especially makes sense for Batman and Flash, which have been straight to paperback paperbacks up to this point.