View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    So... That Batman Three Jokers hardcover is standard trim. Not the euro-deluxe or whatever you want to call the rest of the Black Label hardcovers that have been released so far.

This is disappointing. I would not have bought it if I had known - also kinda shifty to change the trim size to be different than the rest of the Black Label books.
    As far as I know, Black Label collections have matched their single issue formats. As a fan of the format, I do think Three Jokers should have been oversized ("Prestige Plus", I believe is the name they decided on?).
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    As far as I know, Black Label collections have matched their single issue formats. As a fan of the format, I do think Three Jokers should have been oversized ("Prestige Plus", I believe is the name they decided on?).
    Yeah, I hadn't realized Three Jokers was different - I had assumed all Black Label books were this format. Sigh

Yeah, I hadn't realized Three Jokers was different - I had assumed all Black Label books were this format. Sigh
    The hardcover was originally solicited as being Prestige Plus sized. That must have changed before publication (probably when someone realised the proportions didn't match the original single issues).

So JLI omnibus 2 - that takes us to 50 of JLA and 30 of JLE. We'd need another 2 books to collect the remainder of both series, correct? And that would bring us up to JLA Midsummers Evil/Morrison JLA, right?

I'm a little fuzzy with the late 80s/early 90s JL titles.

Also, with the Bronze Age JL 3, would that take us up to the Detroit omnibus?
    Last edited by ER Prest; 12-01-2020 at 02:57 PM.

Astonishing Member

So JLI omnibus 2 - that takes us to 50 of JLA and 30 of JLE. We'd need another 2 books to collect the remainder of both series, correct? And that would bring us up to JLA Midsummers Evil/Morrison JLA, right?

I'm a little fuzzy with the late 80s/early 90s JL titles.

I'm thinking the third volume would complete the Giffen/DeMatties run with issue 60 on JLA and 36 on JLE plus the "Formerly Known As" and "I Can't Believe It's Not" stories from the 2000s.

The post Giffen JLA stories have been collected in trade paperback up to issue 93. I don't expect the JLE after issue 36 or JLA after issue 93 to be collected since those issues are written by Gerard Jones.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

This Gerard Jones business is really interfering with our ability to get material.
    Surely there is a way to side step him getting royalties. He was convicted, right? No loop hole there?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    This Gerard Jones business is really interfering with our ability to get material.
    Surely there is a way to side step him getting royalties. He was convicted, right? No loop hole there?
    The only restriction is that a convicted felon cannot profit from his crime. So Jones can't get paid if he wrote a comic about his crimes. DC still has to pay him any contracted royalties for reprinting his work.

The only work around I can think of is if Jones waives the payment (or asks that it be made to a charity instead) and the reprints omit any credit to Jones. But that's something Jones would have to agree to.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

He'd still get royalties for his comics work. It is totally unrelated to what he got in trouble for. Convicts are only prevented from profiting off what they were convicted of (like if he profited from a book written about his criminal activity.)

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Drats.

Topic shift: Is the Deadman Omni still coming out next week?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Drats.

Topic shift: Is the Deadman Omni still coming out next week?
    According to DC's distributors, it is. This is the updated cover on Penguin's website

Spectacular Member

Not anwhere near. JLA BA #3 collects #147-181. Detroit omnibus starts with #233. So there's still a gap of 51 issues #182-232.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

So... That Batman Three Jokers hardcover is standard trim. Not the euro-deluxe or whatever you want to call the rest of the Black Label hardcovers that have been released so far.

This is disappointing. I would not have bought it if I had known - also kinda shifty to change the trim size to be different than the rest of the Black Label books.
    Batman: Last Knight on Earth was Black Label and standard trim. I love standard trim, we're all familar with it, love the uninformity with other trades.

I think it was great that Three Jokers was first released as standard trim.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-04-2020 at 08:23 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    I'm thinking the third volume would complete the Giffen/DeMatties run with issue 60 on JLA and 36 on JLE plus the "Formerly Known As" and "I Can't Believe It's Not" stories from the 2000s.

The post Giffen JLA stories have been collected in trade paperback up to issue 93. I don't expect the JLE after issue 36 or JLA after issue 93 to be collected since those issues are written by Gerard Jones.
    Ah yeah...Jones.

I don't even know if I want to even read that stuff, regardless if he gets compensated or not. It's not like he magically became a pedophile, ya know? We just didn't know he was when he was writing JLA and GL and all those.

Hrm, I hope they finish the Giffen/DeM stuff though. That would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by shaboo View Post
    Not anwhere near. JLA BA #3 collects #147-181. Detroit omnibus starts with #233. So there's still a gap of 51 issues #182-232.
    So one big book, or two smaller ones. Here's hoping

All-New Member

Deadman omnibus back cover.jpg

The back cover for the omnibus -- I ordered one, shipped three days ago -- has a proper content listing.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by shaboo View Post
    FYI Justice League #240 will also need to be collected in a JLA BA collection, it was skipped from the Detroit Era Omnibus as it was a fill in issue featuring the older JLA team

https://www.comics.org/issue/40182/