View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I *really* want to pick this up, but it would be a double (triple?) dip, as I already have the singles and the old trade from years ago. I'd have no problem buying this material again if I had any confidence in DC to complete Winick's run - which could be done in just 2 more trades after this!
    I know the feeling, I decided to upgrade my old TPB's to the new edition - hoping it sells well enough to release the rest of the Winnick run!

So I just wrapped up the first Batman omnibus by Morrison - such a trip revisiting this. It's been around 10 years since I read it what's collected here. I think I was reading it monthly around the time R.I.P. had just started, and fell off the monthlies around the time Inc vol 1 wrapped up/New 52 started, so I've never actually finished his run.

But this first book, what a ride. I'd forgotten a good chunk of what happens, and while some of it hasn't aged super well, there's so much excellent stuff going on here. It's a little uneven and bumpy at times, but most of the writing is still sharp, almost has an urgency to it. Really enjoying it. Gonna start the Absolute Final Crisis (which has also been nearly a decade since I read it) before moving on to the 2nd omnibus

Got my Morrison Doom Patrol and Johns Aquaman omnibuses. Jesus I’m almost afraid to try reading DP, certainly doesn’t feel like it’s meant to be read lol.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Got my Morrison Doom Patrol and Johns Aquaman omnibuses. Jesus I’m almost afraid to try reading DP, certainly doesn’t feel like it’s meant to be read lol.
    Tread lightly with that Doom Patrol book. I didn't even finish reading my copy, and it's only been pulled off the shelf a couple times, but it's already making that ominous cracking sound when opened...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Tread lightly with that Doom Patrol book. I didn't even finish reading my copy, and it's only been pulled off the shelf a couple times, but it's already making that ominous cracking sound when opened...
    It's funny how I read that as omnibus cracking sound and still knew what you were talking about

Omar has a preview of DC's May's collected edition solicits. Those of you waiting on the third absolute Swamp Thing or the third JLA Bronze Age Omni should be happy

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Yes indeed to that JLA Bronze Age volume 3!! I also am hoping that cover stays! I immediately noticed it was not that cover version 2 that the collections dept went with the last year+ like with Robin, Joker and Doom Patrol.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Incredible Member

I am really hoping DC decide to include Flash 163 in "Flash by Waid volume 8" rather than orphaning it (especially as the book is already listed to include other issues not written by Waid!)

I ask this periodically (too often sadly) but is anyone reading anything current? If so what are some top picks? I ask because The Future State trades are starting to roll out and some of it looks interesting, but I've played this game with DC before... So I'm wondering if any of it is even worth my time, or should I continue to just get classics like Waid's Flash?

I was wondering what's holding up the 3rd Alan Moore Absolute Swamp Thing. Nice to finally have a date, but 10/26 is so far away!

Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
    I was wondering what's holding up the 3rd Alan Moore Absolute Swamp Thing. Nice to finally have a date, but 10/26 is so far away!
    I'm still trying to find Vol. 2! They reprinted Vol. 1 in pretty short order, so I'm hoping for the same.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    It's funny how I read that as omnibus cracking sound and still knew what you were talking about
    Sadly, too many of us are familiar with ominous omnibus sounds...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

I'm still trying to find Vol. 2! They reprinted Vol. 1 in pretty short order, so I'm hoping for the same.
    Didn't know vol 2 sold out so quick. I didn't jump on it immediately upon release, but pretty soon after.

And question on the newly released Absolute Planetary... I have the Omnibus, but I'm super tempted by the absolute, as that too has the whole run plus extras, and it's even bigger... too big?

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    I am really hoping DC decide to include Flash 163 in "Flash by Waid volume 8" rather than orphaning it (especially as the book is already listed to include other issues not written by Waid!)
    Yeah, that was annoying. But hey, it's DC - we don't really know the contents of anything until it's actually in our hands!

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    I ask this periodically (too often sadly) but is anyone reading anything current? If so what are some top picks? I ask because The Future State trades are starting to roll out and some of it looks interesting, but I've played this game with DC before... So I'm wondering if any of it is even worth my time, or should I continue to just get classics like Waid's Flash?
    Not to sound like a hater, but save your money. As suspected, very few elements of Future State are carrying onward and into the DCU proper. If that's something that's important to you, maybe check out whatever collection includes the Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and Teen Titans stuff.

Just my 2 cents. Others seem to find Future State amazing.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

I broke my rule about not buying any omnibuses over 900 pages, and I’m already regretting it lol. Don’t get me wrong I’m happy to have the book, but I just don’t know if I’ll actually be able to READ this. Least it confirms to me that I’m waiting for Marvel to put out new hardcovers of Morrison’s X-Men run rather than buying omnibuses for that.
    Last edited by Vordan; 02-12-2021 at 02:23 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/