View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Alright... Morrison's Batman Omni... yay or nay?

While I've read plenty of Morrison, I've never read any of his Batman. He's a pretty hit & miss writer for me - either truly amazing stuff, or arduous, plodding, up his own arse type of stuff - nothing in between. How would I enjoy Batman, and would I enjoy it on it's own terms - you know what I mean... Also, how's the art? (I'm not a huge fan of Kubert)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
    Alright... Morrison's Batman Omni... yay or nay?

While I've read plenty of Morrison, I've never read any of his Batman. He's a pretty hit & miss writer for me - either truly amazing stuff, or arduous, plodding, up his own arse type of stuff - nothing in between. How would I enjoy Batman, and would I enjoy it on it's own terms - you know what I mean... Also, how's the art? (I'm not a huge fan of Kubert)
    The first volume is the least "up it's arse" of the (presumably) three omnibii. It's much more Morrison's JLA than something like Seven Soldiers (I enjoy both, but they're very different reads), and it's definitely not like, you know, The Filth. The last two issues in this collection will make absolutely zero sense when read in order - they are in the various Final Crisis collections and placed appropriately.

ETA: Completely forgot: Yay! I love this volume - some real highlight stories, great action, and the least mopey Batman we've had on the page since . . . well, Morrison's JLA run, probably, and certainly less Mopey than New 52 or Rebirth Batman.
    Last edited by bob.schoonover; 07-17-2018 at 10:07 AM.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    DC's Omnibus & Absolute Sales for June 2018:

The Legion of Super Heroes: Silver Age Omnibus Vol. 2 – 821
    Batman: The Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 5 – 758
    Strong numbers from both of these, especially Batman GA v5 as it's showing consistent sales despite a "high" volume count on the series.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Wonder Woman By George Perez Omnibus Vol. 3 - 1,002
    Wow, pleasantly surprised to see that this did so well. Can't remember if the first two were as successful...?

Now if only they'd finish off the new editions of the Rucka TPB's...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

DC's Omnibus & Absolute Sales for June 2018:

Infinite Crisis Omnibus (2nd printing) - 1,088
    Wonder Woman By George Perez Omnibus Vol. 3 - 1,002
    The Legion of Super Heroes: Silver Age Omnibus Vol. 2 – 821
    Batman: The Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 5 – 758
    Absolute Sandman Overture - 734
    Not bad numbers for IC, WW, or the LoSh in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Not bad numbers for IC, WW, or the LoSh in my opinion.
    I think the Absolute Sandman at 734 did OK, considering it's price and that it already had an OHC.
    IC was big, though, with 1,088. That was an expensive book (even with the discount).

Spectacular Member RickyMeister's Avatar

I am looking at picking up the geoff johns GL omnibus but i want to make sure i get a new printing with the new logo and better binding, what are the chances online stores still have the old printings?

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I think the Absolute Sandman at 734 did OK, considering it's price and that it already had an OHC.
    IC was big, though, with 1,088. That was an expensive book (even with the discount).
    True, it was a bit overpriced.

Glad the numbers are being solid.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Why is there no Byrne Supes Omnibus? I’d buy that.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    Why is there no Byrne Supes Omnibus? I’d buy that.
    Who knows, honestly. It's a bizarre omission, but then, there are tons of bizarre omissions that are deserving of omni treatments.

At least some deserving things have been getting them lately, which bodes well. Justice League International, New Teen Titans corrected editions, Batman by Morrison, Batman by Loeb and Sale, Fourth World by Kirby, Kamandi by Kirby, etc. Probably just a matter of time before we see stuff like Byrne's Superman.

And don't forget Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run - it's pretty much THE most requested Omnibus by far, and still nothing.

Spectacular Member

While Amazon fishing I saw that a couple of these Dc Modern Classics Editions are coming next year: do we know if these will be OHC or standard size? Thank you !

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Strong numbers from both of these, especially Batman GA v5 as it's showing consistent sales despite a "high" volume count on the series.
    This is the highest 'volume number' of any omnibus from the big two, correct? Marvel's technically only gone up to 3, although you could argue Brubarker's Cap run is 5. But Bats has 5 in the can and #6 is solicited. I really hope these books keep pulling in decent numbers like this to keep the lines going.

Cpn Craig, or others, anyone know what numbers Green Arrow GA omni pulled in its first month? Was it comparable to ~700-750 range? I would think if it was, that bodes well for other non-bats/Supes/WW GA omnis for the future.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I have been reading the Infinite Crisis Omnibus and it is a big book, expensive, but I love all the events leading up to the main series. I am so surprised how much I enjoy those old big events after complaining so much about them. Rann Thanagar, Days of Vengeance, Villains United, Crisis of Conscience, and the main series all deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyMeister View Post
    I am looking at picking up the geoff johns GL omnibus but i want to make sure i get a new printing with the new logo and better binding, what are the chances online stores still have the old printings?
    I would love for them to release these in the collected fat TPBs, ala the Kyle Jordan run, etc... they just put the 3 Flash omnis from Johns in TPB form, and they're doing it for his Titans run and his JSA run, so I would think/hope that GL would be coming as well. I love this run, only read pieces of it, but those omnis are HUGE and I'd rather have them in more readable format (or reprint them in 4-5 smaller omnis), although i'm sure my opinion is in the minority.

Man, I just got the Fourth World omni from someone off ebay (front cover cut off, so it's got the few minor defects, but I knew this going in and am 100% fine with it - nabbed it for ~$35!) - anyways, HOLY COW that is the biggest book I have ever owned! OUtside of Sin City and Colossal Conan, that might be the biggest book ever (probably not...) Again, I would have preferred them to split this among 2 books, but I can see why they wanted a 'done in one' version. Personally I don't care about a few pages being wonky, I can't wait to read it in its oversized, crazy Kirby glory!
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.