View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    You are sadly correct. But these days, is anything outside the reprints/Batman safe from cancelation?
    Sadly, even Batman isn't safe from cancelation Look what happened to The Dark Knight Detectice Vol. 3 TPB or to the Batman In Brave And The Bold Omnibus Vol. 3 ...

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    You are sadly correct. But these days, is anything outside the reprints/Batman safe from cancelation?

Its still surprising they would release this in Omni form, instead of fat TPBs. They still have yet to collect Wheeler's ST as well. I hope for the new DCTV they also rerelease Andy Diggle's run.
    Well Doug Wheeler's run wasn't very popular or well-regarded (according to a retrospective interview with Nancy A. Collins a few years back, she was brought onto the book with the aim of stopping the readership bleed Wheeler caused), and Doug Wheeler himself is a mega obscure writer whose biggest writing credit (possibly only?) of significance is his Swamp Thing run, so I can imagine why it wouldn't be high trading priority for DC.

(though given DC's erratic trading behavior, considering the solicited trades of fairly popular/well-regarded/written by big industry names material they've cancelled, who can predict anything they do)
    Last edited by Hilden B. Lade; 04-16-2019 at 08:06 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    BATMAN: BLACK AND WHITE OMNIBUS
    stories and art by NEAL ADAMS, BRIAN AZZARELLO, LEE BERMEJO, BRIAN BOLLAND, ED BRUBAKER, JOHN BUSCEMA, CLIFF CHIANG, DARWYN COOKE, PAUL DINI, WARREN ELLIS, HARLAN ELLISON, NEIL GAIMAN, DAVE GIBBONS, ADAM HUGHES, GEOFF JOHNS, DAVE JOHNSON, JIM LEE, DWAYNE McDUFFIE, SEAN MURPHY, DENNIS O’NEIL, PAUL POPE, ALEX ROSS, WALTER SIMONSON, RYAN SOOK, BRUCE TIMM and others
    cover by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS
    Presented in stark black and white, these tales delve into the darkest corners of Batman’s psyche, while pitting him against his greatest foes. With stories and art by a stellar lineup of comics talent including Neil Gaiman, Jim Lee and dozens of others, this title collects stories from Black and White #1-4, Batman: Black and White #1-6 and stories from Batman: Gotham Knights #1-49.
    ON SALE 01.22.20
    $125.00 US | 912 PAGES | B&W

Opinions on the material in this? Is it all one story? I’m going to guess it may not be considering the amount of creators in it.. I also dislike black and white art but what do people think of this stuff?

Got my copy of the new Death and Return of Superman today. Really nice looking book, dustjacket is the same style as the Exile omni. Binding is tight but I haven't flipped through it yet, it's about the size of the Infinite Crisis omni.

I'm glad I never paid secondary market prices for the last edition, got rewarded with this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTemp View Post
    Opinions on the material in this? Is it all one story? I’m going to guess it may not be considering the amount of creators in it.. I also dislike black and white art but what do people think of this stuff?
    Batman B&W is fantastic. They're basically 2-4 (maybe 5) page stories, little anthologies similar to what you'd find in Detective 1000. As with most anthology books, not every story is a homerun but I found more great stories than disappointing ones in the series. I'm tempted to pick this up even though I already own the tpb's.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    Well Doug Wheeler's run wasn't very popular or well-regarded (according to a retrospective interview with Nancy A. Collins a few years back, she was brought onto the book with the aim of stopping the readership bleed Wheeler caused), and Doug Wheeler himself is a mega obscure writer whose biggest writing credit (possibly only?) of significance is his Swamp Thing run, so I can imagine why it wouldn't be high trading priority for DC.

(though given DC's erratic trading behavior, considering the solicited trades of fairly popular/well-regarded/written by big industry names material they've cancelled, who can predict anything they do)
    Great interview, thanks for posting! I can't believe Collins passed up the chance to write Animal Man!? We would have been spared Jerry Prosser's mess, and the book probably wouldn't have gotten the axe...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by TheTemp View Post
    Now THIS is actually something that would warrant an Absolute, in contrast to some other material that has recently been given the nod.

JoshuaHeM, I see you have your AIM listed. I'll hit you up on there.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Great interview, thanks for posting! I can't believe Collins passed up the chance to write Animal Man!? We would have been spared Jerry Prosser's mess, and the book probably wouldn't have gotten the axe...
    They need to bring back Animal Man.

Was Prossers run truly that bad?

Justice League Of America: The Bronze Age Vol 1 trade paperback have been cancelled and will be replaced with Justice League Of America: The Last Survivors Of Earth! collecting the same content. I wonder why they soured on the Bronze Age title really hope they still keep the omnibus on track, but sounds like the whole line is mess and DC does not even know what they are doing. Really makes me not want to support them and just buy Marvel Omnibus because they do not randomly get cancelled a couple months before release.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Justice League Of America: The Bronze Age Vol 1 trade paperback have been cancelled and will be replaced with Justice League Of America: The Last Survivors Of Earth! collecting the same content. I wonder why they soured on the Bronze Age title really hope they still keep the omnibus on track, but sounds like the whole line is mess and DC does not even know what they are doing. Really makes me not want to support them and just buy Marvel Omnibus because they do not randomly get cancelled a couple months before release.
    It is most definitely, a mess. A company/brand of this size should have strategy/message/marketing in place before making wholesale changes. Want to kill the line but have already solicited? Do smaller print runs to fulfill the commitment while you spread the word that you're moving in a different direction. DC has been mismanaged on many fronts for a long while, in my opinion, and has continually squandered every opportunity for growth of the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    It is most definitely, a mess. A company/brand of this size should have strategy/message/marketing in place before making wholesale changes. Want to kill the line but have already solicited? Do smaller print runs to fulfill the commitment while you spread the word that you're moving in a different direction. DC has been mismanaged on many fronts for a long while, in my opinion, and has continually squandered every opportunity for growth of the brand.
    Yeah the lack of plan shows poor management it seems like they randomly decided this does not work, and then just started cancelling stuff with no plan is place moving forward. I know they let some people go recently, but they should probably have had a plan in place before letting people go so things run smoothly instead of this mess.

Amazing Member

With so much content heading to the DC Universe APP, I bought the big iPad Pro over the weekend and I'm now making the switch to digital. I thought I wouldn't like it, but with the size of the screen, it's perfect. Whether this is what DC wanted or not, my next move was to take Bronze Age Doom Patrol out of April DCBS order along with a couple other collected editions.

I will still buy Absolute Swamp Thing if it ever gets printed, but I think that's it for collected editions. Now I'm eyeballing my shelves to see what I should sell. What a paradigm shift for me in only a few days, but I think I'm more at peace with the switch.

Amazing Member

Initially I wasn't on board for digital comics but when I had an iPad (9.7) I began experimenting with digital and it turned out to be convenient. The space-saving option is what sold me and the ability to check out older comics that are no longer in print or will not be re-printed. I've sold my iPad since but have been in the market for one. The Pro is probably overkill (pricewise too) for me for a comics reader. I've been eyeing the entry-level iPad (128GB) for a while now.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by stgeorge602 View Post
    Initially I wasn't on board for digital comics but when I had an iPad (9.7) I began experimenting with digital and it turned out to be convenient. The space-saving option is what sold me and the ability to check out older comics that are no longer in print or will not be re-printed. I've sold my iPad since but have been in the market for one. The Pro is probably overkill (pricewise too) for me for a comics reader. I've been eyeing the entry-level iPad (128GB) for a while now.
    However, I am still going to stick with trades for series I follow and enjoy. I have a good collection and have been reading since 2007. I don't plan to sell what I've accumulated.