View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.

More sad news for you guys

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Does anyone have any thoughts about the Injustice Series. Does the new Omnibus collect the entire story? Is it a good read? I mean, Red Son Superman good?

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Marvel: contacts Omar who is a dedicated collector and has a huge network of people around him, to research what books have demand and reprints some highly requested gems and puts out more new material

DC: FINALLY puts out Swampy in ohc format but screws up the binding and completely recolors it without warning, puts the Byrne Superman in a standard hc, still continues to have binding issues with their omnibuses after like a decade of some of their books having better bindings ....and maybe does the icebucket challenge just to prove how out of touch they are?
    How do people fix their Omnibus and Absolute editions binding. My Final Crisis is loosing "signatures.". I have looked on line, it seems to be glue and a paint brush.

Any tips?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    How do people fix their Omnibus and Absolute editions binding. My Final Crisis is loosing "signatures.". I have looked on line, it seems to be glue and a paint brush.

Any tips?
    My absolute swamp thing had a bad binding. I was able to fix it using bookbinding glue (€3) and one of my kid's paintbrushes. Just apply the glue in the gap for as far as you can and store it spine-down for a few hours. Mine's as good as new!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    Does anyone have any thoughts about the Injustice Series. Does the new Omnibus collect the entire story? Is it a good read? I mean, Red Son Superman good?
    I've read it all, and I really liked it. Tom Taylor is a great writer.
    Every 'year' is different. Overall storyarc continues, but one year is about magic, another is about X, another is about Y. there were 6 'years' or seasons. The new omnibus is the 1st three years.
    So there will be another omni for the last 3. This will be one huge book as well, so keep that in mind; almost Green Lantern/JSA omnibus level big. Like 1100 pages or so.

Perhaps go to your local library and see if they have a TPB of the first season and pick that up, see if you like it before you drop $62+ on the omni? I'm a big supporter of libraries, and my local system has a TON of trades and even a few omnis - it's my go to in order to try out new series, or to catch up on older ones. ;-)
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

From bleedingcool article another book bites the dust.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/12...irens-omnibus/

"I’m going to have to guess that they have other plans for the material in this planned omnibus. Something that would tie in further with the Birds Of Prey And The Fantabulous Emancipation Of One Harley Quinn movie coming to a cinema near you in 2020. But for now, DC Comics has let retailers know that they are cancelling the Harley Quinn And The Gotham City Sirens Omnibus New Edition which would have collected Gotham City Sirens #1-26 and Catwoman #83 in February, with no plans to resolicit it."

Quote Originally Posted by Teecee View Post
    My absolute swamp thing had a bad binding. I was able to fix it using bookbinding glue (€3) and one of my kid's paintbrushes. Just apply the glue in the gap for as far as you can and store it spine-down for a few hours. Mine's as good as new!
    Wow! I am excited to try as Final Crisis was the first oversized book I ever bought and it is now coming apart. I hope my Swamp Thing is in good shape!

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    I've read it all, and I really liked it. Tom Taylor is a great writer.
    Every 'year' is different. Overall storyarc continues, but one year is about magic, another is about X, another is about Y. there were 6 'years' or seasons. The new omnibus is the 1st three years.
    So there will be another omni for the last 3. This will be one huge book as well, so keep that in mind; almost Green Lantern/JSA omnibus level big. Like 1100 pages or so.

Perhaps go to your local library and see if they have a TPB of the first season and pick that up, see if you like it before you drop $62+ on the omni? I'm a big supporter of libraries, and my local system has a TON of trades and even a few omnis - it's my go to in order to try out new series, or to catch up on older ones. ;-)
    I appreciate the tip. i may just look at the trades first. On the Superman page, Injustice gets mixed reviews for being another evil Superman story.

All-New Member

I'm very disappointed in all of the recent cancellations and "down grading" items that were an omni and now a OHC or deluxe, or in some cases standard. This simply signals that DC does NOT have confidence in the product that it's putting out. Which makes me lose confidence in them and leads me to question why I continue to give them my money and support by purchasing their books they put out only to have them cancel them later on. It's disheartening to fans and collectors, it's not fair to retailers and it's unprofessional of DC. Why solicit something if you're only going to cancel it later?
    Man of Steel Omnibus and Starman are a perfect example of this. MoS is probably the most wanted Omnibus out there for DC right now and they mess around with the format of it which leads to speculation and drives down people's anticipation / confidence in DC to publish the book. Which is both disappointing and demoralizing to consumers and retailers alike. Not to mention what it does to DC's credibility.
    DC - You have a definite credibility issue going on with yourselves, and it's leading me to questions whether or not I want to continue to support and read your material your publishing.
    Follow through, produce, or don't solicit. But figure it out soon, because I'm running out of patience waiting for you to figure it out.

noooooooooooooo

One day, after DC publishing is gone, the truth will start to filter out. We’ll see our first photos of the legendary rotating dartboard that was used to make over 80% of all decisions about archival collected editions. We’ll get the true stories about members of upper management getting blitzed, stumbling down to Collected Editions, declaring that they’re going to stop screwing around and publish what the fans really want, then a couple of months later be confronted with their decrees and backpedal furiously to get yet another edition of Starman cancelled to make room for another printing of Watchmen. Memos with instructions like “we can save $0.00000001 per book if we make the binding on our omnis 35% worse, so let’s do so” and “use the cheap glue, who cares if the book falls apart?” will become public. And finally, cellphone footage of the magical room full of monkeys responsible for quality control/content checking of the books/writing the contents of books for solicitations will be posted to YouTube, all finally raising the curtain on the previously baffling methods employed by DC in their Collected Editions department.
    Last edited by Dick Grayson; 12-05-2019 at 09:11 PM.

Yeah I've been pretty high on DC the last year or so cause they actually keep their books in print, as opposed to Marvel who just let everything go OOP and that's it until they maybe do a reprint. I gave up on trying to collect X-Men in omnibus - missed a lot of the good ones so now I'm just selling off what I do have.

I've been putting that money towards DC, but if they keep cancelling things I'd buy then that money is going somewhere else again. Like someone already said above - for such a niche market this is, especially in the digital age, you'd think these companies would bend over backwards to get material out that the customer wants, or just get out of the game completely.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
    One day, after DC publishing is gone, the truth will start to filter out. We’ll see our first photos of the legendary rotating dartboard that was used to make over 80% of all decisions about archival collected editions. We’ll get the true stories about members of upper management getting blitzed, stumbling down to Collected Editions, declaring that they’re going to stop screwing around and publish what the fans really want, then a couple of months later be confronted with their decrees and backpedal furiously to get yet another edition of Starman cancelled to make room for another printing of Watchmen. Memos with instructions like “we can save $0.00000001 per book if we make the binding on our omnis 35% worse, so let’s do so” and “use the cheap glue, who cares if the book falls apart?” will become public. And finally, cellphone footage of the magical room full of monkeys responsible for quality control/content checking of the books/writing the contents of books for solicitations will be posted to YouTube, all finally raising the curtain on the previously baffling methods employed by DC in their Collected Editions department.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    So, I've been looking forward to getting the new printing of Superman: The Golden Age Omnibus Volume 1 and found out they redesigned the dust jacket so it won't match the other 5 volumes I have of this collection. Doing further research, I found that any forthcoming Golden/Silver Omnis are doing what they've been doing with the recent Bronze Omnis - totally different look from prior volumes. This will really mess up my bookshelf...I like all volumes in a series to be consistent.
    Wait, what? They changed the dust jacket design? NOW? Not even they can be that obtuse, can they?

OK, rhetorical question. It's DC. Gah, I can't believe it!