View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

I don't know if anyone posted about this already or not, I just found out about it the other day.

According to Amazon, DC Comics is going to release a hard cover collection (similar to the Showcase Presents) of the first 26 issues of Super Friends. They are listing the date as 12/31/19.

I don't know if it will be in color or black and white (like the Showcase Presents was).

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Friends...gateway&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by PossumGrease View Post
    With so much content heading to the DC Universe APP, I bought the big iPad Pro over the weekend and I'm now making the switch to digital. I thought I wouldn't like it, but with the size of the screen, it's perfect. Whether this is what DC wanted or not, my next move was to take Bronze Age Doom Patrol out of April DCBS order along with a couple other collected editions.

I will still buy Absolute Swamp Thing if it ever gets printed, but I think that's it for collected editions. Now I'm eyeballing my shelves to see what I should sell. What a paradigm shift for me in only a few days, but I think I'm more at peace with the switch.
    If you’re anything like me, you’ll have no trouble. I was very much anti-digital, had a MASSIVE collection. But once I decided to move overseas, I knew taking my collection would be impossible. But, worried I’d hate digital, I didn’t sell anything until I tried it out on a big ol’ iPad Pro. Once I started, I took to it pretty quickly and have not looked back. I made back the cost of the iPad and then some, which also helped with any lingering doubts about my decision.

Being able to take a big run of comics (or multiple runs!) anywhere so easily, and the display size being so large is a dream. And it’s way lighter and easier to read than a big ol’ omnibus (and I say this as a staunch omni guy and huge proponent of custom binding.) I kept some of my books for sentimental reasons and a few of my favorite customs, but still prefer the digital ones, especially new comics that are in such hi-res that you can zoom in with little to no quality loss.

That said, I still regularly check out what’s coming out, even if I can’t buy it cheaply. The Absolute Swamp Thing, as well as the recent Morrison omnis have tempted me though, admittedly.

I've long switched to digital for monthly books, but I maintain and continue to accumulate a hardcover collection of my favorites. Digital is a nice option to test-run books to decide if they're bookshelf-worthy.

Do you own the books digitally or only as long as you subscribe?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Do you own the books digitally or only as long as you subscribe?
    If you purchase the books, they're yours. If you download free ones (through Comixology Unlimited, for example), then you have access to them as long as you subscribe. A subscription like Comixology Unlimited is much like having a library card, in that way. But books you pay money for are yours.
    Last edited by Clark_Kent; 04-20-2019 at 02:33 PM.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by stgeorge602 View Post
    Initially I wasn't on board for digital comics but when I had an iPad (9.7) I began experimenting with digital and it turned out to be convenient. The space-saving option is what sold me and the ability to check out older comics that are no longer in print or will not be re-printed. I've sold my iPad since but have been in the market for one. The Pro is probably overkill (pricewise too) for me for a comics reader. I've been eyeing the entry-level iPad (128GB) for a while now.
    I use the Kindle Fire HD 10 for my digital reading. Beautiful screen, and very cheap. I initially got into digital solely for floppies, but comixology's sales on trades just can't be beat...they regularly have sales of trades where you're only paying $5 or $6 instead of cover price.

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

I tried digital for awhile, I liked it at first and was thinking
    About changing from floppies to digital, but ultimently realized
    I wanted physical material to read and own.
    Currently I just buy hard and soft cover trades because reading
    Select runs from over the decades ( and today) is the only way
    I can continue with this hobby and be 100% satisfied.
    Last edited by My Two Cents; 04-21-2019 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    If you purchase the books, they're yours. If you download free ones (through Comixology Unlimited, for example), then you have access to them as long as you subscribe. A subscription like Comixology Unlimited is much like having a library card, in that way. But books you pay money for are yours.
    I did have a look at comixology, and Saga deluxe book 1 (for example) was around £20, whereas I could buy the HC for about £26, I think for me to make the switch they would have to be a bit cheaper, as I can sell the books and recoup some money (or even make extra cash) whereas you ain’t getting any digital money back

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    I did have a look at comixology, and Saga deluxe book 1 (for example) was around £20, whereas I could buy the HC for about £26, I think for me to make the switch they would have to be a bit cheaper, as I can sell the books and recoup some money (or even make extra cash) whereas you ain’t getting any digital money back
    Yeah, I totally see that. For me, I never buy digital (except floppies) when it's not on sale because then almost everything is cover price. And I won't pay cover for digital. But comixology loves their sales...it seems like if Batman mentions "Tuesday" in a book, they'll have a "Holy Tuesday Batman!" sale :P And that's when I strike.

I still buy a lot of physical, mainly for older things or lines I want to support, though.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

I just received the new Death and Return of Superman Omnibus.

If you're near the beginning or end of the book (like, the first and last hundred pages,) the book won't stay open on it's own. Anyone else have the same issue with this book? I don't remember having that issue with the new Infinite Crisis Omni, and it's of similar size.

I use the Kindle Fire HD 10 for my digital reading. Beautiful screen, and very cheap. I initially got into digital solely for floppies, but comixology's sales on trades just can't be beat...they regularly have sales of trades where you're only paying $5 or $6 instead of cover price.
    How do you read the files on the Kindle? I want to upgrade my device however I have a ton of files that use Comic Book Reader because they were scanned and I would like to know if the Kindle would read them, thanks..
    Hail Hydra!

Quote Originally Posted by tv horror View Post
    How do you read the files on the Kindle? I want to upgrade my device however I have a ton of files that use Comic Book Reader because they were scanned and I would like to know if the Kindle would read them, thanks..
    I read digital books through the Comixology app, since that's where I purchased them. I'm sure it probably has the capability to open most file types, if not through the native software then through an app of some kind.

Edit: maybe one of these apps would suit your files? https://www.ereader-palace.com/best-...-tablets-2015/
    Last edited by Clark_Kent; 04-23-2019 at 04:12 PM.

Yeah, I totally see that. For me, I never buy digital (except floppies) when it's not on sale because then almost everything is cover price. And I won't pay cover for digital. But comixology loves their sales...it seems like if Batman mentions "Tuesday" in a book, they'll have a "Holy Tuesday Batman!" sale :P And that's when I strike.

I still buy a lot of physical, mainly for older things or lines I want to support, though.
    I’m getting a new iPad Pro (when the free beats offer kicks in) so I may dip my toe into the digital waters

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 02:57 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    I know this is a strange comparison, but I have some credit on Amazon and was going to budget it toward Batman Eternal. But I want to get the Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus Vol. 4 coming out in June.

If you were only getting 1 omni, which would you pick?
    ASM seems much more likely to go out of print/stock earlier. I liked Eternal well enough, but I wouldn't call it essential unless you are just a fan of seeing the Bat-family mostly working together
    Blue text denotes sarcasm