View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
541. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

    51 9.43%
  • Deluxe

    215 39.74%
  • Omnibus

    216 39.93%
  • Absolute

    123 22.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1155 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 1556551055110511451151115211531154115511561157115811591165 ... LastLast
Results 17,311 to 17,325 of 17578
  1. #17311
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    520

    Default

    My copy of Batman Golden Age Omnibus 6 arrived early and according to the back cover it contains:

    Detective Comics 133-153
    Batman 46-55
    Worlds Finest 33-42

  2. #17312
    Fantastic Member JoeGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    383

    Default

    Can I ask if the "Batman by Doug Moench & Kelley Jones Vol. 2" is worth getting if you don't own Vol. 1? That one seems to be currently oop.

  3. #17313
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA USA
    Posts
    3,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    Can I ask if the "Batman by Doug Moench & Kelley Jones Vol. 2" is worth getting if you don't own Vol. 1? That one seems to be currently oop.
    If you're a fan of Kelley Jones' art, I think it is.

    Neither volume is the most coherent read, however, what with crossovers being so prevalent at the time. There's definitely some good, self-contained arcs, but it's usually only a few issues before the next event tie-in pops up.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009
    7,869

    The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

  4. #17314
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    If you're a fan of Kelley Jones' art, I think it is.

    Neither volume is the most coherent read, however, what with crossovers being so prevalent at the time. There's definitely some good, self-contained arcs, but it's usually only a few issues before the next event tie-in pops up.
    The material in Volume 2 is very much self-contained with nearly zero crossover interaction. Only the first three issues take place during "Zero Hour", but there's no interaction with "Legacy" (which happened immediately before) or "Cataclysm" (which happened immediately after).

  5. #17315
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA USA
    Posts
    3,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaboo View Post
    The material in Volume 2 is very much self-contained with nearly zero crossover interaction. Only the first three issues take place during "Zero Hour", but there's no interaction with "Legacy" (which happened immediately before) or "Cataclysm" (which happened immediately after).
    Ah, I stand corrected.

    TBH I haven't busted open my copy of Vol. 2 yet, so I should have differentiated my comment as based on Vol. 1...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009
    7,869

    The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

  6. #17316
    Fantastic Member Dick Grayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Yokohama, Japan
    Posts
    410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaboo View Post
    The material in Volume 2 is very much self-contained with nearly zero crossover interaction. Only the first three issues take place during "Zero Hour", but there's no interaction with "Legacy" (which happened immediately before) or "Cataclysm" (which happened immediately after).
    Zero Hour? That takes place before volume 1 (Batman #511 and #0, they take place between KnightsEnd and Prodigal), the first three issues of Moench/Jones volume 2 have no connection to Zero Hour. The first issue, Batman #536, is technically a Final Night tie-in, but other than passing references to there being no sun it has little connection and if it didn’t have the banner, you’d probably not even notice. But yes, “Legacy” and “Cataclysm” happen on either side so you’re right, it’s pretty coherent. As I recall, volume 1 only has the first issue being part of “Troika” and then a “Contagion” tie-in, right? So it’s not too bad either.

    I always felt the whole run was pretty readable as its own unit, Contagion and Legacy being the only crossovers and all you really have to know is there was a virus in Gotham, people died. I consider the real start of the run taking place after Troika, as that was just housekeeping after all the KnightSaga stuff.

  7. #17317
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    240

    Default

    So excited to see that Giffen's Legion 5 Years Later getting collected!! I hope it finds the support it deserves.

  8. #17318
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA USA
    Posts
    3,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madmodpoetgod View Post
    So excited to see that Giffen's Legion 5 Years Later getting collected!! I hope it finds the support it deserves.
    Pre-order it! And then pre-order 697 more copies for your closest friends... because I have a feeling we may not see this make it to print.

    But I hope I'm wrong.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009
    7,869

    The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

  9. #17319
    Make Mine Marvel (Mostly) j0nnyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Isn't it a shame that Morrison's run on JLA isn't in omnibus format?

    Can someone please tell me the best way to collect this? I noticed there's 4(?) tpb volumes of his run, taking it up to issue 46. Does this volume have a nice end-cap to it or does the story just continue on with Waid?

    Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by j0nnyboy; 12-06-2018 at 12:54 AM.

  10. #17320
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
    Zero Hour? That takes place before volume 1 (Batman #511 and #0, they take place between KnightsEnd and Prodigal), the first three issues of Moench/Jones volume 2 have no connection to Zero Hour. The first issue, Batman #536, is technically a Final Night tie-in, but other than passing references to there being no sun it has little connection and if it didn’t have the banner, you’d probably not even notice. But yes, “Legacy” and “Cataclysm” happen on either side so you’re right, it’s pretty coherent. As I recall, volume 1 only has the first issue being part of “Troika” and then a “Contagion” tie-in, right? So it’s not too bad either.

    I always felt the whole run was pretty readable as its own unit, Contagion and Legacy being the only crossovers and all you really have to know is there was a virus in Gotham, people died. I consider the real start of the run taking place after Troika, as that was just housekeeping after all the KnightSaga stuff.
    Yes, of course it's "Final Night", not "Zero Hour". There simply are too many events to keep them all apart ...

  11. #17321
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j0nnyboy View Post
    Isn't it a shame that Morrison's run on JLA isn't in omnibus format?

    Can someone please tell me the best way to collect this? I noticed there's 4(?) tpb volumes of his run, taking it up to issue 46. Does this volume have a nice end-cap to it or does the story just continue on with Waid?

    Thanks for the help!
    Volume 4 ends Morrison's run with WWIII (it has a sense of wrapping up to it) then includes one Waid arc - Tower of Babel - which is worth reading at some point. We've seen solicits through August w/no Morrison JLA omni in it, so I'd guess these are the best way to go for the time being
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

  12. #17322
    Astonishing Member Nick Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,581

    Default

    Where can I see these advanced solicits?

  13. #17323
    Of the O'Sullivan Clan Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Where can I see these advanced solicits?
    I think the link was posted earlier in the thread, but just in case: https://www.edelweiss.plus/#catalogID=4333960&page=1

  14. #17324
    Of the O'Sullivan Clan Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    229

    Default

    According to Bleeding Cool, DC has cancelled the Adam Strange Silver Age Vol 1 paperback, and Sleeper Vol 2 paperback.

  15. #17325
    multiple choice Orion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Deadworld
    Posts
    640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j0nnyboy View Post
    Isn't it a shame that Morrison's run on JLA isn't in omnibus format?

    Can someone please tell me the best way to collect this? I noticed there's 4(?) tpb volumes of his run, taking it up to issue 46. Does this volume have a nice end-cap to it or does the story just continue on with Waid?

    Thanks for the help!
    It's not a shame, because it is already collected in the exact same oversized hardcover format.

    It *is* a shame that the entire JLA series has not been collected in omnibus form, from Morrison through the great Tower of Babel and beyond.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •