View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    Agreed, Marvel have Marvel Masterworks of Dazzler & Brother Voodoo in the pipeline, DC meanwhile is still trying to complete the Golden Age Trinity before they start on the Silver Age and there have been no classic Barry Allen Flash collections since the Silver Age Flash volume 3 back in 2018!
    Yeah, I'm over on the Marvel board saying things like "When will we get the ASM epic collection that includes Gang War?" (which is a truly poorly written story arc that makes no sense by the end and has multiple creative teams in 5 issues) and everyone there agrees it's a big hole while DC is like "We probably shouldn't collect Levitz's Legion run that everyone loves from start to finish." What are they even doing?

HEY DC! Let me run your collected editions department! I swear we'll make money!
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    Yeah, I'm over on the Marvel board saying things like "When will we get the ASM epic collection that includes Gang War?" (which is a truly poorly written story arc that makes no sense by the end and has multiple creative teams in 5 issues) and everyone there agrees it's a big hole while DC is like "We probably shouldn't collect Levitz's Legion run that everyone loves from start to finish." What are they even doing?

HEY DC! Let me run your collected editions department! I swear we'll make money!
    Agreed, its amazing how Marvel can put out (arguably) B & C list character collections and yet DC still hasn't yet gotten out the complete Trinity from Golden to Bronze age yet

Presumably the sales numbers just aren't there for DC collected editions in the same way they are there for Marvel. DC would be chugging out material if it was making money for them as well.

Incredible Member

I wish DC would follow Marvel's lead in an EPIC style collection of their major three, I know collectors are gushing over the Golden Age Omnibus but there are some fans that don't favor that era and want some more bronze age 70's stuff, I'd love to see thick 300-page 1970's Batman stuff collected chronologically.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by superheroes for hire View Post
    Presumably the sales numbers just aren't there for DC collected editions in the same way they are there for Marvel. DC would be chugging out material if it was making money for them as well.
    I'm not entirely convinced this is true. They have a reputation for not finishing runs, which causes some to wait and see before purchasing a volume (a self-fulfilling fear, to be sure, but understandable). The JLI collections were a mess of a release for years. They change format size and shape at will. I know they're a big company and we think the market should fix whatever, but there is no way you can look at what Marvel's done and not ask yourself "Why can't DC attempt the same thing?"

Here's a simple example. Bendis just re-launched the Legion of Superheroes, a beloved property with a long history. You can like Bendis or not, but he's a big name and it's a reasonably important re-launch. How is DC capitalizing on that? Well, they're releasing the 5YL omnibus and that's it other than the yearly (expensive) HC leading up to Levitz's run. No complete collections from either of Waid's runs. No Levitz collections (GDS is like $80 aftermarket). No "Best of" collections. Johns' work on the Legion is being re-released, but not advertised as such (Meltzer JLA collection and Last Son OHC). There is not, in fact a single LoSH collection in print right now under $35. So if someone enjoys Bendis's run and wants to read more, DC has decided to tell them, "Nah"
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    I wish DC would follow Marvel's lead in an EPIC style collection of their major three, I know collectors are gushing over the Golden Age Omnibus but there are some fans that don't favor that era and want some more bronze age 70's stuff, I'd love to see thick 300-page 1970's Batman stuff collected chronologically.
    It has been discussed that with some high degreee of assumption based on past comments from Collected Edition folks in interviews that the mastering of the GA material is driven more by preservation than demand.
    That material hasn't ever been fully scanned and archived in a digital format like more modern material and it is important to not lose that.

Good news is the Trinity is nearly done so if Collected Editions survives the AT&T bloodbath the fans clamoring for Silver/Broze Age are likely to start getting their wishes filled a few years from now.
    That said, while the Trinity is great, I'd still like other Golden Age characters that make up future JLA and JSA fare of the era done, so Flash, Alan Scott GL, Hawkman, finish Green Arrow, Plastic Man and others.
    Last edited by Captain Craig; 08-13-2020 at 08:40 AM.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

It surprises me that Golden Age All Star Comics and Captain Marvel haven't been Omnibused yet. I think there were complete archive editions for All Star Comics.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shaboo View Post
    I really hope Batman In Brave And The Bold Bronze Age Omnibus 3 will not be cancelled again and will actually see its release in January 2021!

Actually AMAZON says this Title will now be released on MARCH 16, 2021.

https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Brave-.../dp/1401292828

Incredible Member

I'm not entirely convinced this is true. They have a reputation for not finishing runs, which causes some to wait and see before purchasing a volume (a self-fulfilling fear, to be sure, but understandable). The JLI collections were a mess of a release for years. They change format size and shape at will. I know they're a big company and we think the market should fix whatever, but there is no way you can look at what Marvel's done and not ask yourself "Why can't DC attempt the same thing?"

Here's a simple example. Bendis just re-launched the Legion of Superheroes, a beloved property with a long history. You can like Bendis or not, but he's a big name and it's a reasonably important re-launch. How is DC capitalizing on that? Well, they're releasing the 5YL omnibus and that's it other than the yearly (expensive) HC leading up to Levitz's run. No complete collections from either of Waid's runs. No Levitz collections (GDS is like $80 aftermarket). No "Best of" collections. Johns' work on the Legion is being re-released, but not advertised as such (Meltzer JLA collection and Last Son OHC). There is not, in fact a single LoSH collection in print right now under $35. So if someone enjoys Bendis's run and wants to read more, DC has decided to tell them, "Nah"
    Agreed, similarly when Jonah Hex and the JSA both appeared on Legends of Tomorrow it would have been a perfect time to get some releases out (high end reprints or cheaper paperbacks) but they did nothing. IIRC they only had one Aquaman deluxe edition book out when Aquaman movie was released

And then there is material fans have wanted for years (Byrne Superman, Robinson's Starman, JLI) that they continually have issues with that just makes people less likely to buy the material
    Last edited by JAG2045; 08-14-2020 at 01:44 AM.

Fantastic Member

I'm not entirely convinced this is true.
    I can definitely tell you that when it comes to numbers on top 300/500 graphic novels of the month last volumes of the aborted DC series had (even three times in the most extreme examples) higher numbers than the Marvel series that were continued.

Exactly - As a semi-DC newbie, and total LOSH newbie, I really WANT these books. I'm tired of the silver age silliness, I tried to read the vol 1 omni, slogged through most of it, can't remember any of it a year later. I have vol 3 as I've been told its better, but almost afraid to crack it open in case of "more of the same".

I want the run everyone talks about. the Levitz run and the stuff around it. I want to read the Great Darkness Saga and those around it, but the OHCs are crazy expensive and I can't justify it, especially on material I've never read. Looks like they stopped the two TPB collections of Wait and D&A as well. I really want to get into this characters' line, but it's like they don't want me to.

And I want to get the 5YL omni, and most likely will, if it actually gets released, but from what I understand I might be lost without knowledge of what comes before?? (I understand that continuity for LOSH is pretty crazy across the decades...)
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Actually AMAZON says this Title will now be released on MARCH 16, 2021.

https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Brave-.../dp/1401292828
    As long as it shows up with that dust jacket. Not that new color vomit pattern.

Omar of the Near Mint channel on Youtube has an early look at the collections that will be included in the November 2020 solicitations.

https://youtu.be/G7_xHI4flEg

I don't think there's anything unexpected in there. The main omnis are 100 Bullets Vol 1 and the recut Flash by Geoff Johns Vol 2.

Astonishing Member

I'm surprised that 2 Ellis collections are being released in that month considering the recent controversy

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    I'm surprised that 2 Ellis collections are being released in that month considering the recent controversy
    Selective outrage syndrome