View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Sinescu View Post
    Has that Legends of the Dark Knight: Steve Englehart volume been teased before? That should be a strong seller considering the demand for the Strange Apparitions tpb. I already have SA, but I'll definitely pick this one up anyway, just wish I didn't have a patchwork representation of the Bronze/Copper Era Bats.... some day my omnis will come.
    Bad thing is I think the contents are pretty much the same as those in the Marshal Rogers book. Unless of course someone missed that one.
    "When you have to shoot...shoot, don't talk" Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by shaboo View Post
    That really surprised me. Are they actually cancelling The Dark Knight Detective, but continuing The Caped Crusader? Does this make any sense?
    Nope, no sense at all. Seems like it would be an all or none thing. I was really hoping they'd run these up to Knightfall.
    "When you have to shoot...shoot, don't talk" Tuco

This weekend, DC publisher Dan DiDio took to social media to explain what was going on. He wrote,

"Good morning. To those fans of our Silver and Bronze comics worried about changes to our collected editions program, I want to take this moment to set aside any of your concerns. While we are delaying (not cancelling) a couple of planned omnibuses, this decision was made to make way for even more books highlighting stories and series from these moments in time. Comics, never collected in color or ever before, will first see print in smaller volumes (like the titles in the photo and our old archives program) before being collected (if demand dictates) in omnibus form. This is to open a wider array of books and themes for collections from the past. We have so much great material and we are committed to collecting it in the best forms possible to reach as many fans as possible. This is the stuff that made me a DC fan for life, and will make sure it gets the attention it deserves. Best, DD"

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    This weekend, DC publisher Dan DiDio took to social media to explain what was going on. He wrote,

"Good morning. To those fans of our Silver and Bronze comics worried about changes to our collected editions program, I want to take this moment to set aside any of your concerns. While we are delaying (not cancelling) a couple of planned omnibuses, this decision was made to make way for even more books highlighting stories and series from these moments in time. Comics, never collected in color or ever before, will first see print in smaller volumes (like the titles in the photo and our old archives program) before being collected (if demand dictates) in omnibus form. This is to open a wider array of books and themes for collections from the past. We have so much great material and we are committed to collecting it in the best forms possible to reach as many fans as possible. This is the stuff that made me a DC fan for life, and will make sure it gets the attention it deserves. Best, DD"
    How will they know if "demand dictates" it if almost everybody interested in these stories will wait for the omnibus?!?
    I'm not about to buy these just so it will get released in Omnibus format.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Damn, so it looks like the initial BoP tpbs have been abandoned at issue 21. (this isn't a dig at Simone's run, I just wish we got the books that led to hers)
    This is super annoying. I'm not sure why they went with skinny trades again when they started to re-collect BoP; the three volumes that we did get could've easily been two, and presuming there was still a Vol. 3, it would've taken us beyond #21.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jack B. Quick View Post
    How will they know if "demand dictates" it if almost everybody interested in these stories will wait for the omnibus?!?
    I'm not about to buy these just so it will get released in Omnibus format.
    Yeah... their logic seems completely backwards.

Consider my concerns not yet set aside, Dan.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    "... We have so much great material and we are committed to collecting it in the best forms possible to reach as many fans as possible. ...
    I've fixed this for you:

"We have so much great material and we are committed to collecting it in as many forms as possible to sell as many copies as possible."

Kind of confusing, especially given all the axed trades already. Still... Gives me hope for that Amethyst Omni.

I picked up the Crisis on Infinite Earths Companion Edition Vol 1 just before I saw the solicitation of the Crisis Box Set that's forthcoming. Vol. 2 is out and Vol. 3 is solicited but I haven't opened the Vol 1 yet as I'm trying to determine the content difference between the Companions and the Box. Should I sell the Vol. 1 and get the Box or are they somehow different in their extra "stuff"? I've never read the whole arc and was looking forward to restored 80's goodness. Any insights are appreciated!

(This may tie in to the whole discussion of DC releasing the same content 20 ways)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    I picked up the Crisis on Infinite Earths Companion Edition Vol 1 just before I saw the solicitation of the Crisis Box Set that's forthcoming. Vol. 2 is out and Vol. 3 is solicited but I haven't opened the Vol 1 yet as I'm trying to determine the content difference between the Companions and the Box. Should I sell the Vol. 1 and get the Box or are they somehow different in their extra "stuff"? I've never read the whole arc and was looking forward to restored 80's goodness. Any insights are appreciated!

(This may tie in to the whole discussion of DC releasing the same content 20 ways)
    IMO, the Crisis Box is only interesting for those who are not planning to buy the Silver/Bronze Age Omnibuses of the JLA. Otherwise simply add the COIE Deluxe Edition and the three Companion Editions and you should have the complete material from the box.

Yes, the box comprises 14 hardcovers, but keep in mind that most of these contain only seven or eight issues and thus will have a page count of only around 200.
    Last edited by shaboo; 03-26-2019 at 11:39 AM.

that really surprised me. Are they actually cancelling the dark knight detective, but continuing the caped crusader? Does this make any sense?
    aaarrrrrggghhhhhhhh

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Disappointed that the Detective 80th Anniversary Bats Deluxe has thinner paper than the Action Comics 80th Supes Deluxe does.

IMO, the Crisis Box is only interesting for those who are not planning to buy the Silver/Bronze Age Omnibuses of the JLA. Otherwise simply add the COIE Deluxe Edition and the three Companion Editions and you should have the complete material from the box.

Yes, the box comprises 14 hardcovers, but keep in mind that most of these contain only seven or eight issues and thus will have a page count of only around 200.
    Thanks! I already have all of the JLA Omnibus books. I'm really hoping to see an All-Star Squadron Omnibus at some point.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/03...shed-joker-10/

"DC Comics has officially stated that the following collections have been cancelled.

Batman: Brave And The Bold: Bronze Age Omnibus Vol 3
    Justice League Of America: Bronze Age Omnibus Vol 3
    Batman: Faces In the Shadows (DC Essential) TPB
    Batman: The L"ong Halloween (DC Modern Classics) HC
    Green Lantern: Earth One Vol 1 TPB
    DC Comics sales that these will not be resolicited.

"It looks like Batgirl: Bronze Age Omnibus Vol 2 that came out today will be the last Bronze Age omnibus hardcover for awhile.

This is galling for some collectors – Bronze Age Batman Brave & the Bold Volume 3 Omnibus would have completed the series, while DC President Dan DiDio‘s response to these concerns that they might be resolicited has been vague – that the material may be first printed in smaller non-omnibus volumes, and if the demand was great enough, then they would be reprinted as Omnis. This release from DC Comics to retailers is rather on the nose – though these decisions can, as we have seen, be reversed."

I planned to buy all of the BA books now canceled. The B&B and JLA are particularly aggravating to me. Maybe we'll still get the v4 Teen Titans. I was hoping the LOS titles would continue as well. C'est la vie. I won't shift the money to digital so I guess I can just read what I have and hope Marvel doesn't get any Disney execs interested in what they're printing.